Demolished Dalmuir

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Demolished Dalmuir

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Look at them Greeks run! Bet the buggers left a wooden horse behind though.

'Beware of Greeks & their gifts'
'Never look a gift horse in the mouth' (Should that not be 'Always') ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:11 pm

gap74 wrote:Not on the main Clydebank page cos we don't have a pic of it - but it's in the database:

There is a (distant) pic of it in 'Old Clydebank' (Shelia Struthers, Stenlake Publising)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:15 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
gap74 wrote:Not on the main Clydebank page cos we don't have a pic of it - but it's in the database:

There is a (distant) pic of it in 'Old Clydebank' (Shelia Struthers, Stenlake Publising)

They eventually built a bar on the site 'The Treadle' (A nod to the Singer Sewing Machine no doubt) Had a few in there too, now long gone.

Re the Atlantis, I'd guess that it was built on a vacant (bomb) site, due to the the nocturnal visits of the Luftwaffe.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:51 pm

HollowHorn wrote:They eventually built a bar on the site 'The Treadle'

I remember The Treadle had a fantastic big painting of an old treadle sewing machine on its Kilbow Road facing exterior, a great piece of branding on its white walls. Love to see a picture of it. I remember it being a restaurant though, rather than a boozer, and had fish and chips there (proper sit down tea) when I was very young.

It was demolished not long after to make way for the Clydebank Shopping Centre, the section built just north of the bridge over the canal.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:01 am

Toby Dammit wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:They eventually built a bar on the site 'The Treadle'

I remember The Treadle had a fantastic big painting of an old treadle sewing machine on its Kilbow Road facing exterior, a great piece of branding on its white walls. Love to see a picture of it. I remember it being a restaurant though, rather than a boozer, and had fish and chips there (proper sit down tea) when I was very young.

Was the restaurant not downstairs, Toby? Was it a painting or a 3D representation? Last time I was in we were arguing over who was the best songwriter in the Beatles, Macca had just released 'Mary had a Little Lamb' or was it 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish'? ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:11 am

HollowHorn wrote:Was the restaurant not downstairs, Toby? Was it a painting or a 3D representation?

It was the downstairs bit I've been in. Didn't know there was a bar upstairs and I'd have been too young to have got sereved. I'm sure the treadle was a painting and not something in 3D but that may be one of those dodgy memory things. Which is why we need to see a good photo?
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:12 am

Agreed! ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:51 pm

ah the treadle,owned by the one and only reo stakis.my mother worked in it for a while.see how her memory is and fill in the blanks hopefully good people.when the treadle closed she moved on to work in the bankies club which i drank in many years later.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bankie Boy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:02 am

Driving along Glasgow/Dumbarton Road today and I noticed the big church in Dalmuir was demolished and all the ground floor tenements were boarded up (Between Duntocher Road and Mt Blow Road)! Does anyone know what is happening to them? The look like pretty good housing stock from the outside.
The best things in life aren't things
Bankie Boy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby clydebankcelt » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Bankie Boy wrote:Driving along Glasgow/Dumbarton Road today and I noticed the big church in Dalmuir was demolished and all the ground floor tenements were boarded up (Between Duntocher Road and Mt Blow Road)! Does anyone know what is happening to them? The look like pretty good housing stock from the outside.

Yeah, the church was a bit of a dilemma, as the local people wanted it saved and used as a community hall of sorts, what with it being one of the few remaining older buildings i clydebank. Not being important enough to have any listing status, it was flattened. Tenement buildings are next on the list.
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:07 am

clydebankcelt wrote:Tenement buildings are next on the list.

And just over one year later they are almost all gone. Pics taken 27 Dec '10.

Dumbarton Road

Close entrance

Facade detail

Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:12 am

It's almost incredible that they'd do that in this day and age. Almost.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Toby Dammit » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Rear of Dumbarton Road row

French Street

And another batch of tenements are are being prepaired for demolition in the same Dumbarton Road blocks as the winter casualties.

French Street

This time on the main road and all along French Street.
One or two households are holding on, preventing the lot from vanishing as yet but it can be only a matter of time that most af Dalmuir south of Dumbarton Road is reduced to a large, bleak rubble field even bigger than the one that's dominated the town for the last 9 months.
Rear of French Street

I'll be curious to see what, if anything stands on these plots 12 months from now.

Windows facing west, French Street
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:19 am

Known to the postman as Salisbury Place but christened by the locals as soon as they went up as the “White Hooses” this Mountblow council estate was built, if memory serves right round about 1970/71. It was a near twin of a slightly earlier Clydebank development which appeared in the area bordered by Second Avenue and First Terrace.

Former Spar store, the only shop on the estate

Both estates were built on steep slopes leading up from one main road, with a network of fenced and stepped pedestrian walkways linking the buildings.

All the Mountblow buildings were of one story with housing for four families, two upstairs and two down, with two utility rooms on the ground floor for washing and drying clothes, storage etc.

Utility room not yet torched

The houses on the foot of the hill in Mountblow are essentially bungalows with a garage for cars underneath (I seem to remember the Clydebank scheme still had one story buildings with a garage but I may be wrong).

Bungalows

They were simple, flat roofed, rectangular brick boxes, pebble dashed with white chips, on a terraced hillside with all the livingrooms commanding views of the Clyde valley.

Kitchen and livingroom

From the train north from Dalmuir station they were and still are a notable feature on the landscape, framing as they do the unusual late 1930’s Art Decco Sports Pavilillion, more of which on my ever popular thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11379

For years one of my best friends lived in the estate, a place which always felt safe to visit and a great urban playground for kids with it’s labyrinth leading to a set of football pictches. Families on the council house waiting list saw it as a desirable place to move into. Meanwhile in Clydebank the Second Avenue scheme ominounsly became notorious as a set of condensation traps with leaky roofs and an architectural feature, the garages, which seemed to be an vandel and arsonist magnet (ironic considering the fate of the housing which previously stood there in the Blitz).

It took a long time, undoubtebly for a generation or so the Mountblow scheme worked as a place to bring up a family in decent housing, however by the start of this century it was a different story as the structures shared the fate of thier Clydebank predecessors. People couldn’t wait to leave, indeed were desperate to do so, beseiged at night by the obligatory drunk teen boys, every garage now burnt out and abandoned, flat roofs leaking beyond repair.

Slowly everyone who could left or were re-housed by the council, but not all. If you wander round the place now you’ll see the entire stock is waiting in a frozen state of decrepid anticipation for the (official) demolishion teams to move in. However one or two isolated tennents reamain in what must feel like a bizarre ghost settlement, surrounded by burnt out, boarded up trash filled allyways.

A location finder was impressed enough by the scheme’s 1970’s look to suggest it as a setting to the producers of the movie NEDS, an often unintentionally hilarious stab at allagory. The Hooses appears in two very short scenes, including one where our porky anti-hero appears with what can only be described as “chib haunds”, after he has ingeniously taped both appendages entierly to a pair of blades. No doubt writer/director Peter Mullan hoped this would stand out as an iconic moment of gang violence in the cinema in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE kinda way. As it is I spent the scene wondering how John managed to get out of his house without the use of his hands, his chib haunds.

Neds

Speaking of neds, my sister lived on the estate for a few years, the wrong years, she hated it. As I was walking home late from her place one night some pissed up kids tried an inept attempt to ambush (and presumably rob) me. Years of playing on the scheme meant I knew my way through the Labyrinth better than they did and I laughed in the turds faces as I dodged the Buckie bottles they chucked at me in their frustration as I walked away.

Salisbury Court, or the White Hooses as we say. Will it be there much longer? This Clydebank Post article from February this year says, “who knows?”

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/aro ... y-reality/

Nedlandia
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:20 pm

for the most part mountblow is quite a nice place.i think the council are hoping that the white hooses are just going to disintegrate by themselves.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects