Hiking near Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hiking near Glasgow?

Postby Buttons Tripovic » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:54 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:That's quite a stroll...

I went that way last year and managed Milngavie to Dumgoyne before walking to Strathblane and then caught the bus home.

Yup, and I'm suffering for it today, feet are quite painful :(
"Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine."
Buttons Tripovic
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Well have yourself a good soak in the tub. I hope to go back to Dumgoyne when I'm fully recovered, but that might not be for a few months yet. Do you walk long distances regularly?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buttons Tripovic » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:45 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Well have yourself a good soak in the tub. I hope to go back to Dumgoyne when I'm fully recovered, but that might not be for a few months yet. Do you walk long distances regularly?

Yeah quite, I walk about 4 miles give or take a day although this was probably the longest I've done without preperation.
"Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine."
Buttons Tripovic
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby hound dog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Gleniffer Braes just outside Paisley is a great walking area with fabulous views over the city and to the hills beyond. I usually go by car but there are buses from the centre of Paisley.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:47 pm

You could jump on the bus to Aberfoyle http://www.travelinescotland.com/journe ... 5372215050

and experience many great walks up that way. This one is very good and I can guarantee you'll love the views, you can see the highlans fault line from this little hill. http://www.bing.com/maps/#JndoZXJlMT1hY ... E3NTc4MTI1

You would either need to get a bus that goes past Queen Elizabeth country Park or get off at Aberfoyle and walk up to the park. Once you get there, from the pond (don't go up to the lodge) walk down the first entrance to the left. This is at the car park. Keep following the path for a mile or so and it will take you up and out onto the raod at the Duke Pass. I suppose you could take the bus right up to that bit and ask the driver to let you off but you might not find the hill that way. Then you cross the road and will see a worn path, just keep following it and you get to the top. The hill is heather clad and beautiful. There are also some nice walks in the park itself.

Another place you could go is Mugdock Park [Mod edit - apparently a dodgy link. You're welcome :wink: ] There are loads of lovely walks and plenty of wildlife.
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 am

oldphilosophy wrote:Another place you could go is Mugdock Park [link removed by pixies] There are loads of lovely walks and plenty of wildlife.

That link is making AVAST throw a hairy fit for some reason. 8O

File: h**p://preview2.namesco.net/mcp.ndo.co.uk/\{gzip}

Type: HTML:Illiframe-C [Trj]

Virus: Trojan Horse
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Doorstop wrote:
oldphilosophy wrote:Another place you could go is Mugdock Park [link gone baby gone] There are loads of lovely walks and plenty of wildlife.

That link is making AVAST throw a hairy fit for some reason. 8O

File: h**p://preview2.namesco.net/mcp.ndo.co.uk/\{gzip}

Type: HTML:Illiframe-C [Trj]

Virus: Trojan Horse

A friend reported this to Mugdock last week and they were 'going to look into it'!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:55 pm

That's not very public spirited of them is it?
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Sorry about the Mudgdock link, I'll try to remove it incase others don't have anti virus programmes.

edit: there's no edit button on the post now so could one of the mods take the kink out please?
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Done. Thanks for repeating it twice in the quotes too, ya bams.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:44 pm

I had a look at it and ZoneAlarm didn't pick it up. Oh dear...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:58 am

Google has picked up on it since yesterday.

"Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!"
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:30 am

Lucky Poet wrote:Done. Thanks for repeating it twice in the quotes too, ya bams.

Sorry guys .. stupidity moment there I'm afraid. :oops:
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 pm

Doorstop wrote:Sorry guys .. stupidity moment there I'm afraid. :oops:
:wink:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sunflower » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Reviving this thread to plug the Greenock Cut (http://tinyurl.com/yfryndr) plus Kelly Cut walk from Greenock to Wemyss Bay. Finally got it together to do last weekend, in time to catch it still frozen and snow-bridged in places. It's a great walk, fair distance but no hilly challenges, easy to organise by train, and with added industrial archeology.

Get a return to Wemyss Bay but get off at Drumtrochar on the way out. The trains are only one per hour so it's worth a bit of advance planning. Walk up the hill to the start of the Greenock Cut at Overton (marked with a P on the Landranger Firth of Clyde map). Follow the Greenock Cut all round the (more or less) contour (views!) to Cornalees Bridge where there's a visitor centre with loos, teas and an exhibition about the history of the Cut. (And last summer they had a swallow's nest with a camera.)

From Cornalees Bridge pick up the path along the Kelly Cut (there are little signs for it), and follow that up to the Kelly reservoir. From there it's downhill all the way to Wemyss Bay.

It's a great leg-stretch. The view back over Greenock is sensational, though I was a little disappointed by the lack of fleshpots at Wemyss Bay. But the station is magnificant.

I've seen distances of 5.5 miles for the Greenock Cut and 6 miles Cornalees Bridge to Wemyss Bay. For a shorter walk you could either miss out the Greenock Cut by taking the track directly over the hill from Overton to Cornalees Bridge, or use it to make a circular walk back to Overton.

The Greenock Cut section is generally OK for any footwear you're likely to use for that kind of distance but the Kelly Cut had some very wet sections, and there are two places where the banks of the cut have been broken through to let the water run down to the newer Daff reservoir - some scrambling/jumping/paddling required. It's all fine with waterproof hiking boots and a bit of care. I guess when there isn't snow melting all over the place it won't be so wet.

Just one slight downside - there was a moment on the way down into Wemyss Bay when I though we might be trapped forever in a maze of mobile holiday home things........... but all part of life's rich variety, innit?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)