Empty Building Carlton Place

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Empty Building Carlton Place

Postby ChasR » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:08 pm

There is a big building in Carlton Place that has black windows painted to the facia of it.

Stands out from adjacent buildings and has front doors boarded up. Two ornamenal lamposts to the front of it.

Google Maps shows a couple of fans on the roof

From Road

What is/was it

Cheers
ChasR
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Empty Building Carlton Place

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Excellent question, looking forward to a reply.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 am

I can remeber them buildings being turned in to luxry flats during the 80/90s,i thought they were all ocupied i remember reading that the developers had to retain all the internal listed cornices and woodwork of that whole block as of its A listing status.

in fact 3 floors of the building on right side next to it was used by the Glasgow central mosque for about 10 years before the new mosque was built at Gorbals cross.

found this.

rcahms

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:33 am

Its Laurieston house

The terraced mansions of Carlton Place have a prestige riverfront site, fronting onto the river. The development attempts to compose a whole street in a symmetrical architectural composition.

There were once pavilions acting as terminal points at either end while the centre is still dominated by the imposing facade of nos. 51 and 52, the latter being Laurieston House, James Laurie’s own home. Its interior contains some of the finest decorative plasterwork in Glasgow, a spiral staircase lit by an oval cupola supported by Corinthian columns, and unusual design features. The architect, Peter Nicholson (1765-1844) spent eight years in Glasgow and also designed a classical style quadrangle for the Old College (demolished), before moving to spent the rest of his career as an architect and influential writer on architecture, in England.
found here - http://www.clydewaterfrontheritage.com/ ... place.aspx

The success of these new city areas was limited and in the end their aspirations were subverted by the overwhelming demands of rapidly growing industry and trade and the influx of artisans who worked in the numerous industries still located in and around the city centre. The area eventually became decayed and very over-crowded, part of The Gorbals once notorious reputation. The area has since undergone several major redevelopments. Carlton Place remains a reminder of its past splendour and ambition.

Designed in 1802 by Peter Nicolson, this Grade-A listed building is said to be the most ornate Georgian house in Britain. The facade is very two dimensional, with shallow detailing in the Greek style. Inside, there are details influenced by famous Edinburgh architect Robert Adam, with great Corinthian, columned staircases and domes. The ornate plasterwork is thought to be by Italian supremo Francesco Bernasconi. The whole area around Carlton Place is considered the most ambitious and least successful new town planning in the city. All the local streets had aristocratic names - Cumberland, Portland, Cavendish.

Some nice pics of it here --
http://www.sbpt.org.uk/previous-project ... asgow.html

www.scottishproperty.co.uk/pdf/S/S030229.pdf

hope that helps

dicky
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:39 am

Isn't there two identical buildings in the old sketch? If so, what happened to the other one?
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ChasR » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks to all who replied

Quite clever what they have done with the windows as from the other side of the Clyde you don't notice the building as being empty

What first brought it to my attention was a fireworks display that had reflections from all the houses on that side bar the one with the painted frames.

Pity to have such an interesting interior not available for viewing
ChasR
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Theres a thread about this already on HG :roll:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Where?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Where?

search please
Fossil
-
-

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Fossil wrote:

search please

Thanks for that really helpful response - a great way to promote the boards!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:28 am

Ach, he's a tourist attraction in his own right.

There are a number of threads on Carlton Place, mainly concerned with the private Zoo that was there till the seventies, but I'm presuming Foss means this one, which doesn't really add much other than to show that the place has been that way for some years now.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vit c » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:49 pm

ChasR wrote:Thanks to all who replied

Quite clever what they have done with the windows as from the other side of the Clyde you don't notice the building as being empty

i know, ive walked past this everyday for the past 5 years and only noticed them a few months ago!
vit c
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:
Fossil wrote:

search please

Thanks for that really helpful response - a great way to promote the boards!

ooh hark at her :D
Check the very top of the forum. it no hard to miss. Search Before Posting
Fossil
-
-

Postby allanglens » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Laurieston House was marketed by the then owners back in 2005 by Montagu Evans, Chartered Surveyors. The details are on Scottish Property Network, but unfortunately only available to subscribers. Since they were holding open viewings I had a look. A complete mess, but still the remnants of some very ornate decoration.

I seem to recall that there were rather grandiose plans to refurbish it as an official 'residence' for the Lord Provost and to use it to host events by the Council.

allanglens
allanglens
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:06 pm

allanglens wrote:Laurieston House was marketed by the then owners back in 2005 by Montagu Evans, Chartered Surveyors. The details are on Scottish Property Network, but unfortunately only available to subscribers.

Tease. :)

I don't suppose you know who owns it now, and any plans for future use?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects