Squinty Bridge / Springfield Quay riverside walk

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Squinty Bridge / Springfield Quay riverside walk

Postby Quality Mince » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:26 pm

What a lovely day it was on Sunday. Parked at Springfield Quay and decided to go for a walk along the river. Was really enjoying my walk ‘til I found my riverside route blocked between Squinty Bridge back to Springfield Quay. I had to detour along the road through Govan back to my car at Springfield Quay.

Does anyone know why I cannot walk along the riverside path between the Squinty Bridge and Springfield Quay? Someone said that this land is private (belonging to the adjacent flats no doubt).

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Squinty Bridge / Springfield Quay riverside walk

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:48 pm

I believe Mori has posted on this subject previously. As I recall, the residents are quite happy to hand over the footpath to the City Council, but said Council refuses to take over legal responsibility for it. Therefore, no public footpath.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Yes there has been a recent ruling where the Council have changed the wording on the revised city plan 2.

GCC has completed its City Plan 2 schedule and have published the modifications.

GLASGOW CITY PLAN 2 REPORT OF MODIFICATIONS

A while back there was a debate on HG as regards to access to private areas around the river bank paths/walkways of the River Clyde, in one particular area is Mavisbank Quay on the south bank of the river in between Springfield Quay & Pacific Quay.

The reporters findings are as follows in this document > VOLUME 9 – REGENERATION pages Numberd from 1 to 15 in particular reflect the report findings.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Mori,
A really interesting link. Something somewhere has gone badly wrong in preventing this stretch of the river being accessible to the public.

One thing I did read was:

“At the time, one of the Council’s objectives was the provision, by the developer, of a publicly accessible riverside walkway as part of its wider objective of achieving public access and walkways alongside the Clyde. The walkway element was approved as an integral part of the planning application. All subsequent planning applications for development at Mavisbank Quay have been subject to a condition regarding the provision of a publicly accessible walkway, including at Festival Park, in line with the original masterplan.”

So my understanding is that the planning application for the redevelopment of Mavisbank Quay was approved on the condition that the developer provided a public walkway. Today, however, the existing path is not suitable or safe for public use being too narrow and the presence of many bollards making it particularly dangerous to cyclists.
In other words, the developer (Laing Homes) has developed the land by building expensive flats but someone somewhere has forgotten all about the path for public access. Surely, the developer has a case to answer given that he agreed to develop the land to include public access which he has clearly not done?
In the meantime, the residents are throwing up all sorts of objections in resisting the completion of a suitable walkway.

Mori, thanks for providing this link and other info. I’ll try to find previous postings on this subject in the HG forum.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby vit c » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:15 pm

quality mince is correct

the footpath and probably the handrail at mavisbank quay are not designed to council adoptable standards.
i used to live there actually, and found it ridiculous that to walk to the cinema (or town) i had to go via Paisley Road West.
vit c
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dave2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Surely the council should not have signed off the site as meeting planning conditions and residents not permitted to take up residence? Bollards in the path might stop cyclists running over pedestrians anyway.....
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 am

The fact that the path is barely wide enough for two pedestrians to pass each other, never mind cyclists passing pedestrians, means that bollards aren't needed as it's practically impossible to cycle there anyway.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:15 am

This document explains what is aspired for the Clyde paths and walkways.

Item%204]Flood Strategy (52 pages PDF doc)

RIVER CLYDE FLOOD MANAGEMENT STRATEGY PROGRESS REPORT
AND
PRESENTATION OF RIVER CORRIDOR SUPPLEMENTARY DEVELOPMENT GUIDE

Purpose of Report

The purpose of this report is to advise Committee of the progress of the River Clyde Flood Management
Strategy commission and to present, for approval, the River Corridor Supplementary Development Guide.
Recommendations
I recommend that Committee:
i) notes the progress of the River Clyde Flood management Strategy project; and,
ii) Approves the River Corridor Supplementary Development Guide for issue as a document which
gives guidance for new developments on the River Clyde.

1 Introduction

The aim of this report is to set out progress to date in the River Clyde Flood Management Strategy
(RCFMS), the delivery mechanisms proposed and most specifically present for approval the River
Corridor Supplementary Development Guide, a copy of which is attached.

2 Background to the Study

The Halcrow and W.A. Fairhurst & Partners Joint Venture (HFJV) was appointed by Glasgow City
Council (GCC) in May 2003 to undertake the RCFMS. The study adopted a catchment wide
approach to help deliver a strategy for the council to manage flood risk along the River Clyde.
The aim of RCFMS was to identify flood risk from the River Clyde within the City and beyond and
to develop design solutions within Glasgow.
The results of this study will play a fundamental role in supporting the regeneration of the River
Clyde waterfront and demonstrates the Council’s commitment to delivering comprehensive flood
defence and quay wall stability solutions in Glasgow. To develop Glasgow’s metropolitan role, it
also recognises the need to deliver added value as part of this work, through high standards of
urban and landscape design.
The RCFMS has been formulated to provide information about the implementation of flood
management solutions and quay wall improvements, whilst incorporating public open space
creation and public realm improvements.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Mori,
correct me if I'm wrong. But given Glasgow's potential global warming flooding problems and the poor state of the quayside wall at Mavisbank Quay, the city's new flood defences will include the building of a new walkway/cycle path along this part of the river when (if??!!) this work is ever completed?

Well thank God for global warming!!

Mori, thanks for again providing information about developments along the River Clyde, I've really found it most interesting.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Quality Mince,
That result above with the CP2 Modifications took many years of admin and many legal chalenges before the council would agree to anything,its like talking to a brick wall, GCC's policy is what we say goes.

in an ideal world yes openwalkways and paths are fine, but when the undesirbles and Ned elements come in and ruins something that has cost a private owner many thousands of pounds to upkeep over the years is when the fists start to wave.
Its like someone comming in to your private/back garden and setting up their deck chairs and then sticking 2 fingers up at you.

The MQ development has been an ongoing devolpment since the last recession of the late 80's early 90's, untill 2007 this devlopment had not been adopted by the council since when the QE3 building next to squinty bridge was completed,residents have been paying through the nose for evrything including tarmac road/pavement areas and some steet lighting costs, when residents raised the issues of paying council tax and paying excessive factor charges to GCC they fobed them off with 'the area has not been adopted', so hence many owners are peed off that although that they have overpaid through the nose through factor charges for upkeep of the common areas that the council can come in and say that they can do this and that.

The residents have been paying for all upkeeps of river front of MQ which they rightly have to do as they own these common areas, but please at least sit down and talk to the owners how it affects them, yes take the damn walkway and develop it but pay for it out of your own pocket and dont let its undesirable elements affect existing owners who've paid their dues over the years.

sorry i'm raving on but this issue has been a moral victory for the owners of Festival Park, untill the council can come up with the finances and design method which suits all to open this part of the river walkway it will stay closed.

Mori
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Sat May 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Interesting to read this as, although I don't live in the Festival Park housing, I'm about as close to it as I can be. Personally I'm longing for this path to be opened up to enable a straightforward link into the Springfield Quay complex and a safer, more pleasant, direct walk or cycle towards the Squinty Bridge.

I appreciate the residents concerns. However my prime concern is being able to walk about in safety. The only safe route into the cinema complex is around the road to the main entrance. The building of the Etap hotel and adjoining carpark has meant the former slightly dodgy but well used shortcut to the cinema has been replaced with steps into a deserted carpark level leading to a narrow lane. I can't say I feel happy about using that when alone. Opening up the Clyde walkway would allow entry at the river where it's currently barricaded. It would have made sense for them to have made an entry there from the road in the first place. They could have allowed for a footpath beside the car park at the corner surely with minimum interference to the flats there. Or would that have been unacceptable to residents? I notice there's been an rash of 'private road' signs appearing recently.

From a security viewpoint I'd say it was in everyone's interests for any footpath there to be a well used one. I certainly feel the stretch from the new bridge at Clyde place to the Quay is a lot safer due to the increased use the bridge and loss of the boatyard has brought. More foot traffic has meant a marked decrease in the amount of neds hanging about under the Kingston Bridge. I would assume the flats along that path are now a more attractive and secure proposition than they were when the path was barely used.

I do however appreciate the residents feelings over the costs involved in the area not being adopted. It's having an adverse effect on the security in the area generally. There have been several streetlights out in the area behind my flat for over a year now and the council aren't responsible. That's hardly helping security.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Sat May 29, 2010 8:20 pm

It's merely a few hundred yards that are missing but the alternative route is hopeless - you try it with 5 yr old cyclists!

One would've thought that the engineers that rustled up the Squiggly Bridge could effect some form of safe / groovy pathway over the water (cantilevered off the Southern quay wall). Include for big fences as necessary to deter misguided behaviour. Wouldn't cost much in comparison to bridge & quayside works in Tradeston that barely improved anything.

When coming along the North Bank Clyde Walkway from George V Bridge, a funny overhang walkway jouks under the Glasgow Bridge to get to the CHQ refreshment patio.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects