VICTORIAN/EDWARDIAN DISCOVERY

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: VICTORIAN/EDWARDIAN DISCOVERY

Postby Craigsanquhar » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 am

Josef wrote:I don't think there's genuine doubt that that's the house, Steve.

If you can ask the living family to identify themselves, I'm quite happy to say to the current occupants (if no-one else has already) : it's not that far from me.

I have emailed the living family but still waiting for a reply ??? may be on holiday
I have looked up the census from 1851 on the family's movements and the whole thing would make a good read once we hear from the living family I reckon its a brilliant story would love for some of my olds photos to turn up
I lived in Kingarth St till 1965
Craigsanquhar
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Craigsanquhar » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Botanic Squirrel wrote:I found fascinating bibliophile treasure last week.

Any help identifying that last building would be much appreciated, as would any help locating the family house. Not much to go on, I know, but if I find out anything else I'll post it here.

Hi all I have found the family that belong to the folk in photos so maybe they will be able to identify the places its been an interesting exercise ... wish there were more folk like Botanic Squirrel as its tragic how many old photos are lost my cousins solicitor/executor turfed all of hers in a skip and told none of the family that he had done so Grrr
I was most interested in this find as I come from this area of Glasgow but now live in Tasmania but still love Glasgow
Craigsanquhar
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dimairt » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:57 pm

"I went to The Copy Bureau in Glasgow and simply put reversing the values in the photocopier, and enlarging them, they turned out incredibly well."

Wonderful stuff - well done to all concerned. (I'm off to the Copy Bureau with a folder full of negatives) Perhaps the BBC could do things like this without bringing in tiresome 'celebs' to front it.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sirmichael » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 pm

We have been in contact with Lesley in Tasmania about the MacMillan photos. Robert macMillan was married to my wife, Mary's aunt Contance (nee Young0. She visited 18 Lesley Rd and we also have a few family photos. I do a lot of genealogy, and this material can be found in both Ancestry.co.uk and Genes re-united under Carlisle Family.

I knew 'Auntie Con' very well and we looked after her in the latter stages of her life. I am sure that we can work out some of this material! We leave for Peebles on Wed for 4 days.

We just wanted to post this for John.

Michael
sirmichael
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:27 am

Living relatives! Amazing. I'm just amazed at how much information has flowed out of my finding those pictures in that book! I'd love to find out more about the family. I'll check out the sites you mention. Has a family tree been drawn up?
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Idea for a TV show - 'Stalking the Dead'.

This thread is amazing.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:42 am

Any updates on this brilliant thread? :?:
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:52 am

Not yet. Been preoccupied with the jobseeking etc so further research here has been on the backburner, but more info will be forthcoming eventually.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Okay....a year has passed, whats happened with this. Or can we expect to find the story in all good book shops!!
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Knightmare wrote:Okay....a year has passed, whats happened with this. Or can we expect to find the story in all good book shops!!

Aye, The Beano!

Fuck me! I've just found a genuine Robert Burns manuscript of My Love Is Like A Red Red Rose in the cupboard!
Why is the ink still wet on it?

I smell shite!!
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:49 pm

purplepantman wrote:
Knightmare wrote:Okay....a year has passed, whats happened with this. Or can we expect to find the story in all good book shops!!

Aye, The Beano!

Fuck me! I've just found a genuine Robert Burns manuscript of My Love Is Like A Red Red Rose in the cupboard!

I smell shite!!

Change yer kecks.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:59 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
purplepantman wrote:

Aye, The Beano!

I smell shite!!

Change yer kecks.

W A N K !
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
purplepantman wrote:

Aye, The Beano!

I smell shite!!

Awe c-mon....I've been thinking about this for a year and noo yer telling me the most exiting, the most eagerly anticipated thread on this site is just someones idle ramblings?? :roll:
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:03 pm

purplepantman wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
purplepantman wrote:

Aye, The Beano!

I smell shite!!

Change yer kecks.

W A N K !

I belive that has an altogether different yet also totally unique aroma. Either way - change yer kecks!
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:08 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
purplepantman wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
purplepantman wrote:

Aye, The Beano!

I smell shite!!

Change yer kecks.

W A N K !

I belive that has an altogether different yet also totally unique aroma. Either way - change yer kecks!

Hey good answer!

Respect where it's due.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects