Lockerbie Remembered

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby floweredpig » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:33 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Josef wrote:You reckon? My gut feeling is that Onny is right - the majority of folk in the UK would vote for it.

[Edit]

.....................


My gut feeling is that I'm right too. It might depend on exactly when the vote was taken. Immediately after a child murder or an act of terrorism would swing the vote a bit.

Spot on OYT.Not having the capital punishment is a sign of a tolerant society and Josef it was Julie Burchill, surprisingly enough Thatcher was against it by the time she came to power.
User avatar
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Giffnock

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:40 pm

tedmaul wrote:I can't believe some people are getting off on some imaginary moral high ground. A guy convicted of killing 270 people is released and some wankers are walking around congratulating themselves on their moral brilliance.

Yeah, it's disgusting, especially when you consider that, had Megrahi died in prison, all the victims of the attack would have been magically resurrected and returned to their loved ones.

No, wait, hold on.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
User avatar
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:49 am
Location: St. George's Cross

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:59 pm

hazy wrote:Feckin hell what a blood thirsty lot you are. 8O

If Falkirk were nine points clear with a goal difference of +47 over the second-placed team with three games to go, we might say that Falkirk were probably going to win the league, but it doesn't make us all Falkirk fans.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby draugelis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 pm

I've just read through this thread again and couldn't help but notice the references to Robert Black. Co-incidentally, Robert Black QC, the architect of the Camp Zeist trial of al-Megrahi and his (innocent) co-conspirator, is quoted in The Times today as saying that he is "pleased that Mr MacAskill is not delaying any further and hope(s) it will be compassionate leave". http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6802682.ece
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: Bedlam and Squalor - it's that way ->

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:11 am

The international memory of Scotland's Year of Homecoming 2009
Image
:(
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:11 am

Double post. Sorry.
Last edited by onyirtodd on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:19 am

draugelis wrote:I've just read through this thread again and couldn't help but notice the references to Robert Black. Co-incidentally, Robert Black QC, the architect of the Camp Zeist trial of al-Megrahi and his (innocent) co-conspirator, is quoted in The Times today as saying that he is "pleased that Mr MacAskill is not delaying any further and hope(s) it will be compassionate leave". http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6802682.ece


That's a different Robert Black. The Robert Black mentioned earlier is a convicted multiple child murderer.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby draugelis » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:10 am

onyirtodd wrote:
draugelis wrote:I've just read through this thread again and couldn't help but notice the references to Robert Black. Co-incidentally, Robert Black QC, the architect of the Camp Zeist trial of al-Megrahi and his (innocent) co-conspirator, is quoted in The Times today as saying that he is "pleased that Mr MacAskill is not delaying any further and hope(s) it will be compassionate leave". http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6802682.ece


That's a different Robert Black. The Robert Black mentioned earlier is a convicted multiple child murderer.


Get away! That's why I pointed out it was a co-incidence.... :roll:
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: Bedlam and Squalor - it's that way ->

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby tedmaul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:12 am

potatojunkie wrote:Yeah, it's disgusting, especially when you consider that, had Megrahi died in prison, all the victims of the attack would have been magically resurrected and returned to their loved ones.


I don't even claim to understand what this point is about. ::):
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:35 am

Josef wrote:If Falkirk were nine points clear with a goal difference of +47...

Will they be letting you out for the weekend as well? ::):
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 am

Shamelessly lifted from The Hootsman.

Next year's Tartan Day is going to be in Tripoli.

Salmond and MacAskill are going to be knighted by Gaddaffi.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby Bing Buzby » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:15 am

So president Obama couldn't help but carp from sidelines, The president said: "We have been in contact with the Scottish Government indicating that we objected to this. We thought it was a mistake."

Was he refering to the release of Megrahi or was he offering advice on how to fly arabs around the world in secret?

I would suggest the president closes down Guantamimo Bay before lecturing any other government on how to dispence justice.
User avatar
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:09 am
Location: Rivercity

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:17 am

Bing Buzby wrote:So president Obama couldn't help but carp from sidelines, The president said: "We have been in contact with the Scottish Government indicating that we objected to this. We thought it was a mistake."

Was he refering to the release of Megrahi or was he offering advice on how to fly arabs around the world in secret?

I would suggest the president closes down Guantamimo Bay before lecturing any other government on how to dispence justice.


Seeking to change the subject does you no credit.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am

I can't say it breaks my heart to see Americans upset because their jurisdiction has been shown not to extend beyond their border. I hope we can stop them getting their grubby paws on Gary McKinnon as well.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby Bing Buzby » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 am

onyirtodd wrote:
Seeking to change the subject does you no credit.


Sorry Master Todd, I missed the step when you changed the subject to Tartan Day. Does this make me back on topic to your satisfaction?

Image
User avatar
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:09 am
Location: Rivercity

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests