Save Otago Lane

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Save Otago Lane

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm

The next stage in GCC's plan to trash everything that makes Glasgow interesting is to allow this development. Cheerio Tchai-Ovna, au revoir Voltaire & Rousseau, hasta mañana Mixed Up Records.

Otago Lane is under threat from a massive planned development of 163 new flats and 6 commercial properties.

Otago Lane is a beautiful West End conservation area with unique independant shops, a small parking area and a charming Mews building. All this is currently under threat, as a local developer has submitted plans to put up four very modern blocks of flats of up to 8 storeys and 6 commercial units.

Not only will this irrevocably change the look and feel of the area, especially as it will be highly visible from across the river at Gibson street and Great Western Road, but may put the futures of the independant retailers at risk. Currently we have a great selection of small shops, Voltaire and Rousseau (which is regularly used as a filming location), Mixed up Records, Ken Chapelle clock repair and of course Tchai Ovna.

We ask you to sign in order to help us protect the integrity of this beautiful and unique corner of the West End.

Of course, what'll likely happen if this gets the go-ahead is that it'll fall into the river within a year. The problem is that it'll take a marvellous wee chunk of Glasgow with it.

Petition: http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/30135.html
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/grou ... 2847512460

Objections can be sent here:

Executive Director
Development and Regeneration Services
229 George Street
Glasgow
G1 1QU

Tchai-Ovna and Voltaire & Rousseau are not without their allies. Current plan is to get as many famous authors and musicians as we can get a hold of to kick up a stink. Hoping to get as many locals involved as possible, too. Spread the word.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Save Otago Lane

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:12 pm

For those unfamiliar with the place, Voltaire and Rousseau.

I was out and about with an East Coaster today, who was asking if there were any such thing as a decent second-hand bookshop in Glasgow. I recommended that very place.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 pm

I have been buying books from there for over 20 years and would be devastated if it was lost.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm

why are they hell bent on removing the good parts of the West End :(
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Signed the online petition this afternoon. This development is completely out of place and totally unnecessary. It should be rejected out of hand. My personal interest here is Voltaire & Rousseau, where I have been a browser and a buyer for at least 25 years. The possibility of it disappearing doesn’t bear thinking about. None of the (precious few) secondhand bookshops left in Glasgow have anything approaching its wonderfully eccentric character and atmosphere. O.K. so about 50% of the stock lies buried beneath mountainous piles of other books. But digging around like an archaeologist, never sure what you’re going to find, is a large part of the enjoyment. This place probably breaks just about every rule in the business manual, yet because it’s become such a well-loved institution it manages to survive. Long may it continue to do so.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Aye, V&R is an enormous repository of treasure. Also it's filled with cats, which is a bonus.

The appropriate councillors to write to are Malik, Elder, Roberts and Wardrop.
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:52 pm

potatojunkie wrote:....
The appropriate councillors to write to are Malik, Elder, Roberts and Wardrop.

oh dear :roll:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby John » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:45 pm

This is what we will lose:

'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:53 pm

Done and dusted.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Doorstop wrote:Image

Done and dusted.

Beat you to it.
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Don't mention "Beating it" .. the R I D E might be watching and that'll just get unsavoury in a big, old hurry will that. :D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Aye well, ye get whit ye pay fur.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Doorstop wrote:Don't mention "Beating it" .. the R I D E might be watching and that'll just get unsavoury in a big, old hurry will that. :D

I concur :) Though I am sure he will be the putting his signature on the petition. Seems the type to have his finger on every pulse.

Best we stay on topic :) Don't want the wrath of those mods now do we ?
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:25 pm

The clown behind this proposal is Hugh Scott, whom Greenock Morton fans (both of them) will no doubt fondly remember.
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm

I had to smile when I read the phrase "charming mews building". Probably not what I would have called it. Seems to me that what most people are upset about is the loss of the businesses and notably the book shop. This is fair comment and there is clearly a concern that unique little businesses like that are getting priced out and replaced with the usual sterile chains.

I think you need to separate that concern from the development itself. In a city you get urban development. Always have and always will. The buildings that are around Gibson street are themselves the results of urban development some 100 years ago. Maybe at that time, the locals were also horrified.

I think we need to look for a balance that gives us good urban development with a degree of sensitivity and support for these unique businesses and, at the same time, architecture that enhances the urban environment.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development