Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lollycams to trap speeders

Postby Mori » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:41 am

Wonder how much extra the lollies will get paid extra for this stint. ::):

Evening Times

Lollycams to trap speeders

The 'lollycams' could be rolled out to all of the 300 school crossing staff across Glasgow

SCHOOL crossing patrols in Glasgow are to test a secret weapon in the fight against dangerous drivers - lollycams.
The £1000 video cameras will be fitted to some of the city's 300 hand-held lollipop' signs, allowing crossing patrols to record offenders who ignore their instructions to stop.
The mini cameras, fitted to either side of the pole, record video and sound and capture reckless drivers on film.
The cameras are activated when the pole touches the ground and are pointed at the offending car to record the number plate.
The company which runs school crossing patrols in Glasgow hopes the cameras will give police a greater chance of securing convictions against speeding drivers - with fines of up to £1000 - and act as a deterrent.
Although similar systems have been tested in parts of England, it's believed it will be the first time such technology has been used in Scotland.
Cordia, the new arms-length company created by Glasgow City Council earlier this week, has taken over services run by the council's Direct and Care Services department, including school crossings.
Cordia managing director Fergus Chambers said: "One of the biggest problems we have is speeding cars, which don't slow down.
"Quoting the registration number to the police isn't always enough. We have to protect staff as well as customers."
Witnesses can help secure convictions, but they aren't always available or may not be deemed reliable enough - if they are children, for example.
Mr Chambers said Cordia was still researching the best technology for the lollipop cameras, but expected installation to cost around £1000 per sign.
He added: "It isn't expensive when you're talking in terms of the life of a child."
The company is looking to secure a sponsor for the scheme, but will go ahead without one if necessary, which could be within a month.
Initially, a small number of signs will be tested at problem crossings. If successful, they could be rolled out to most of Glasgow's 300 school crossing staff.
A police spokeswoman said: "There are always occasional drivers who don't obey the crossing patrols. If this is another piece of evidence which can be presented to the fiscal that is obviously welcome."

Publication date 03/04/09
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:12 am

Mr Chambers said Cordia was still researching the best technology for the lollipop cameras, but expected installation to cost around £1000 per sign.
He added: "It isn't expensive when you're talking in terms of the life of a child."

Unlike removing patrols from crossings with Lights and those used only by secondary school children. Anything other than remove traffic wardens from their income generating duties when a patroller misses a shift.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:41 am

I was walking home yesterday and as I was crossing a road, the lollipop lady walked out to stop the traffic, so I said "Well, I'm not far off my second childhood..."

The lady explained that South Lanarkshire Council have told them they can stop the traffic for anyone these days, not just kids. Quite sensible too.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:56 am

Auto Express

Make the most of the new Scrappage scheme
£2,000 vouchers on offer through the Government’s proposed scrappage scheme – with the UK’s greatest new car discounts

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:53 pm

GCC

Pretty busy on the roads tommorow... thought i'd post this up.

Traffic information - August 18

How to travel safely to the big events taking place on Tuesday, August 18 at Hampden Park and Parkhead.

Travel information for U2 at Hampden Park and Celtic vs Arsenal at Parkhead.
U2
360° TOUR
Hampden Park
18th August 2009
Expected Crowd 66,000

Doors Open 17:00
The Hours 18:00
Glasvegas 18:45
U2 20:15
Expected finish 23:00

Celtic V Arsenal
Parkhead
18th August 2009
Expected crowd 60,000

Prior to the game Undertones are repeating their dream gig of five years ago when they played to the Celtic Park crowd before the Hoops took on AC Milan.

They will re-enact their pre-match entertainment at 7pm before the UEFA Champions League play-off against Arsenal next Tuesday, August 18.

Game kicks off at 19:45hrs and will only play for 90mins. There is no extra time. The only delay would be if the kick off is delayed.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 pm

And not forgetting the Kelvin Angling Association EGM in Milngavie!!!!
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:21 pm

:D You have obviously got your priorities right.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Squigster » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:28 pm

John wrote::D You have obviously got your priorities right.

I'm gutted that the footie & the meeting are on the same night - Not too worried about missing the tax dodgers :)
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Heh heh heh.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:I was walking home yesterday and as I was crossing a road, the lollipop lady walked out to stop the traffic, so I said "Well, I'm not far off my second childhood..."

The lady explained that South Lanarkshire Council have told them they can stop the traffic for anyone these days, not just kids. Quite sensible too.

Unless the law has changed, lollipop men/ladies have no power to stop traffic at all. They are supposed to wait until the road is clear before they "do their thing". Traffic approaching once the lollipop person is on a crossing and displaying their lollipop must stop, but lollipop men/ladies have no powers to jump onto the road and stop traffic.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Then again there was the incident at Auchenshuggle when someone drove past the crossing patrol at the Good Shepherd PS. The Lollipop person still managed to get the stick through the rear window.I believe he was "counselled " under the Education department's discipline procedures.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Never mind counselling .. is there any chance of getting him in the track and field team for the 2012 Olympics?

If he can hit a moving target like that wi' a lollipop imagine what he could do wi' a javelin.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 pm

GCC

Wednesday 09 September 2009

Glasgow cements its position as Scottish leader in adpotion of low carbon vehicles

Glasgow has been chosen to participate in the Joined-Cities Plan, an £11m scheme launched by the Energy Technologies Institute (ETI) that will help cities deploy a network of recharging points for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.

The scheme has been created to help support the roll-out of a single national network that will ultimately enable plug-in vehicles to be easily used and recharged anywhere, including at home.
Through the Joined-Cities Plan, local authorities and electricity distribution network operators will install recharging infrastructure allowing consumers to easily use their electric vehicles in any of the other major UK cities in the scheme, including Birmingham, Coventry, Glasgow, London, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Oxford and Sunderland.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:49 pm

ET

New survey reveals anger at bad state of Glasgow roads

GLASGOW'S pothole-scarred roads are one of the biggest bugbears for residents about living in the city, a new study has shown.
A survey has shown around 75% of motorists and commuters are unhappy with the state of the city's streets.
Road and pavement maintenance rated lowest in a city-wide poll by Scotland's largest local authority on the services it provides.
Glasgow's roads recorded a satisfaction rate of just 25%, although that was a 15% rise on a previous study last autumn.

Image Image

Glasgow's roads are riddled with more than 18,000 potholes, which would cost up to £110million to repair
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Mori wrote:ET

New survey reveals anger at bad state of Glasgow roads

GLASGOW'S pothole-scarred roads are one of the biggest bugbears for residents about living in the city, a new study has shown.
A survey has shown around 75% of motorists and commuters are unhappy with the state of the city's streets.
Road and pavement maintenance rated lowest in a city-wide poll by Scotland's largest local authority on the services it provides.
Glasgow's roads recorded a satisfaction rate of just 25%, although that was a 15% rise on a previous study last autumn.

Image Image

Glasgow's roads are riddled with more than 18,000 potholes, which would cost up to £110million to repair

and no Albert Hall to put them in...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)