It's all up hill from Bridgeton.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: It's all up hill from Bridgeton.

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Tangentially to this thread, I was struck by how early there was a recognisable Royal Infirmary in Lucky Poet's post on the Molendinar thread.

HollowHorn wrote:Another view of Glenfield St.
Undated:

Lucky Poet wrote:Here's a map of the Molendinar as it was in the early 19th century. Well, a composite image at least.
Preview:

Awfy large version: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb28 ... Route2.jpg
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Josef wrote:Tangentially to this thread, I was struck by how early there was a recognisable Royal Infirmary in Lucky Poet's post on the Molendinar thread.

At's because it was built in 1794, in a tangentially manner of speaking, a'course.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:07 pm

We weren't all around at the time. When was John Knox Street built (or named)?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Someone asked about ‘Glenfield St. over on the West End site. In response, another member posted this well known photograph of ‘Gizzi’ the ice cream man.:

Gizzi, the ice-cream man, Glasgow.
Guiseppe Gizzi, with his ice cream barrow at the corner of Wishart Street, James Orr Street and Glenfield Street, around 1937. His sales pitch covered miles of streets in Glasgow's east end where he pushed his barrow daily, switching in the winter to roasted chestnuts. The building behind the barrow is the boiler house of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Here's a nice comparison photo i took today. Not much really changed here and i'll bet the cobbles are still under that tarmac. Also....who the feck wasted my photo by parking there?
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Knightmare wrote:Also....who the feck wasted my photo by parking there?

::): Was just thinking that!

Great comparison picture though.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Knightmare wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Thanks once more to 'Strepadair':
Glenfield St, from where Warnock St had been. This little enclave, a square (or parallelogram) formed by Alexandra Parade (N), James Orr St (E), Warnock St (S), and Glenfield St (W), was in process of being obliterated. The extension to the Royal Infirmary now occupies the site. March 1973

Great photo, this place is completely overshadowed and hidden by the modern part of the GRI. Although i think the more modern looking building to the extreme left of the photo still exists to some extent. I'll check it out. I wish the photo covered slightly more to the left as there should be an entrance to the Walton Buidling (previously Nurses quarters).

I'm pretty sure the newer building is the Pathology labs which are near the new car park. If you come out of the St Mungo Building, up the stairs, turn right, you can see it.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Nice work, that comparison photo :) The car maybe says something of the changes.

Josef wrote:When was John Knox Street built (or named)?

It's not there on the OS town plan for 1857, but magically appears on the revision of 1892. It'll be down to the City of Glasgow Improvements Act of 1866, I'm guessing:

"...by far the largest and most comprehensive single undertaking of this kind in the nineteenth century. This Act set up the City of Glasgow Improvements Trust with the Lord Provost, Magistrates and Council as the Trustees. The Trust was given powers to buy up (by compulsion where necessary) and knock down 88 acres of Central Glasgow including practically the whole of what was Glasgow in Adam Smith's time, to form 39 new streets and alter 12 old ones ..."

Liberated from: C. M. Allan, 'The Genesis of British Urban Redevelopment with Special Reference to Glasgow', The Economic History Review, New Series, Vol. 18, No. 3. (1965), pp. 598-613.

I'd give some web links relating to the Act but there aren't really any. Which is annoying - there are umpteen for the smaller-scale Edinburgh Improvement Act of 1867, which was very much inspired by Glasgow's. Are Glasgow historians too busy collecting couthy stories?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Knightmare » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Knightmare wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Thanks once more to 'Strepadair':
Glenfield St, from where Warnock St had been. This little enclave, a square (or parallelogram) formed by Alexandra Parade (N), James Orr St (E), Warnock St (S), and Glenfield St (W), was in process of being obliterated. The extension to the Royal Infirmary now occupies the site. March 1973

Great photo, this place is completely overshadowed and hidden by the modern part of the GRI. Although i think the more modern looking building to the extreme left of the photo still exists to some extent. I'll check it out. I wish the photo covered slightly more to the left as there should be an entrance to the Walton Buidling (previously Nurses quarters).

I'm pretty sure the newer building is the Pathology labs which are near the new car park. If you come out of the St Mungo Building, up the stairs, turn right, you can see it.

This was the best angle i could get. Clearly the modern building to the extreme left in the first photo is still there. There's also a large steel structure that seems to be attached the gable end to the north. Looks like when they knocked down the older buidlings, they needed to put in some extra support. Looks aweful to be honest.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Further to Josef's post, I stumbled upon this today:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3502/376 ... 3b92_o.jpg
The hospital there is the original Royal Infirmary, designed by Robert and James Adam. Long gone...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:39 pm

I work in the Royal and to be honest I don't know the half of it. The sub basement is interesting. There's wee tramlines the run down from the medical block. Not sure if they used wee trolleys in the olden days or coal or whatnot. I work in the old building and some of the archetectural gems hidden behind plywood is criminal.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:40 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote: when was King Billy moved to the square?

The statue was presented to the city by James Macrae, of Orangefield in 1734 and erected outside the Tontine Hotel, Glasgow Cross, in 1735. It was moved to an adjacent site in 1894 due to the building of a railway station at Glasgow Cross, and then moved in 1923, to J & G Mossman's High Street yard for repairs. The tail was damaged at this time and was re-affixed (for some unknown reason) with a ball and socket joint which causes the tail to swing in the wind. A new pedestal was made and the English translation of the Latin inscription cut. The original Latin inscription was transferred onto the new pedestal. The statue was erected on its present site in 1926. Until the mid-19th century there were four canon barrels, placed muzzle upwards, at the corners of the pedestal. These were relics from the Battle of the Boyne (1690), William's greatest victory over King James VII and II. Two were sold to a scrap iron merchant in the 1850s when the council erected urinals adjacent to the ends of the pedestal. The other two were moved with the statue in 1894 and enclosed within the decorative wrought iron railings which were erected around the statue at that time. These were scrapped prior to the 1923 relocation. Unspecified repairs (costing £110) were made to the statue in 1951, as per the recommendations of a report submitted to Glasgow Corporation by the City Engineer.

That should narrow the date down a bit ::):

King Billy's statue was mentioned on page one of this thread.

Found a great picture of it on RCAHMS showing where it used to be on Argyle street...

Also on this map from 1807...

I'd imagine it was a bit of a "meeting place" back then, as in; "I'll get you under King Billy at half-two".
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:05 pm

What a site to be met with this morning on Wishart Strret. Heavy rain can really have an effect on this part of Glasgow. GCC clean the drains oot!

Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 pm

::):

I smell shite.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Doorstop wrote:::):

I smell shite.

Yes...it was a bit smelly but the canooists obviously thought it was safe enough :D
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:54 pm

the only thing missing from that pic was nessie.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects