Binge Drinking

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Binge Drinking

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:15 am

Its_a_gamp wrote:The problem isn't any worse than it's been for years, the figures are only up because they have started to do something about the drink problem in schools!

True ..... we were drinking at 15. But at 16 we graduated to "soft" drugs as well. Then we became accountants, surveyors, bank managers and teachers.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:15 am

Most weekends from age 14 onwards, me, my brother and the rest of the crowd were bladdered. Straight A's at A-level and Oxbridge for many of us. Some run big business, some run the country. Don't ask me how it works... :?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 pm

BBC

A wee bit of progress

Fewer festive drink drive arrests

The number of drink and drug drivers arrested during Strathclyde Police's festive crackdown has fallen by nearly a third this year.
The force said it had made 280 arrests during its four-week campaign, which got under way on 8 December.
This compared to a total of 394 for the previous year.
Strathclyde's head of road policing, Supt Niven Rennie, said the use of high visibility patrols and road checks had made a positive impact.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:33 am

BBC

Drive to cut Scots alcohol abuse

Measures to tackle alcohol abuse, including minimum pricing and an end to heavy discounting, are to be enforced by the Scottish Government.
Ministers said radical action was needed to tackle alcohol-fuelled violence and related health problems.
However, plans to raise the age for buying drink from off-licences from 18 to 21 are thought unlikely to succeed.
The proposals form part of wide-ranging justice reforms being brought forward by the Holyrood administration.
Alcohol abuse costs Scotland £2.25bn every year in lost work days and health service costs, and the Scottish Government said it was now time to act.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:59 pm

BBC

Court battle looms over Buckfast

Two Scottish councils are facing legal action over claims they discriminate against shops which sell Buckfast.
J Chandler & Co, which distributes the tonic wine, said it had evidence officials in Glasgow and South Ayrshire had singled out the product.
Both authorities have denied the claim and said they had always acted in accordance with licensing laws.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Mori wrote:BBC

Court battle looms over Buckfast

Two Scottish councils are facing legal action over claims they discriminate against shops which sell Buckfast.
J Chandler & Co, which distributes the tonic wine, said it had evidence officials in Glasgow and South Ayrshire had singled out the product.
Both authorities have denied the claim and said they had always acted in accordance with licensing laws.

I might be missing something but can anyone see what exactly the allegation of discrimination refers to?

Refusing to grant a licence? Constantly using underage shoppers?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Mori wrote:BBC

Drive to cut Scots alcohol abuse

Measures to tackle alcohol abuse, including minimum pricing and an end to heavy discounting, are to be enforced by the Scottish Government.
Ministers said radical action was needed to tackle alcohol-fuelled violence and related health problems.
However, plans to raise the age for buying drink from off-licences from 18 to 21 are thought unlikely to succeed.
The proposals form part of wide-ranging justice reforms being brought forward by the Holyrood administration.
Alcohol abuse costs Scotland £2.25bn every year in lost work days and health service costs, and the Scottish Government said it was now time to act.

Drinkers will always find a way to get alcohol. I recall, as teenager, we used to brew our own. All the government are doing is penalising the majority who drink responsibly.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:51 pm

Howdy,

I don't understand why people would buy a 14% proof wine for a fiver a bottle when Tesco sells perfectly reasonable 14% proof wines for £2.99. Or 24 cans of Tennents for £12.99. A bargain, but drink responsibly ::):

One of the worst arguments put forward about alcohol pricing is that it can be cheaper buying a can of lager than a bottle of water. Seems fair, but it's a useless comparison since Evian, et al, are ludicrously expensive.

We complain when petrol, drilled from deep underground, refined and transported halfway around the world, hits £1 a litre. Yet people gladly pay £1.09 a litre for a product that you can get from your kitchen. And household water is tested far more severely than the lifestyle stuff.

I tell you, it's enough to drive a man to drink.
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed May 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Funds to tackle alcohol misuse

13/05/2009

Scotland's health boards have received £36 million this year to tackle alcohol misuse - a jump in spending of 45 per cent.
The cash will help NHS boards and Alcohol and Drug Partnerships identify and treat people suffering from alcohol problems.
Public Health Minister Shona Robison said the funding increase underlined the Scottish Government's commitment to tackling alcohol misuse.
Speaking on a visit to Liber8, a South Lanarkshire-based alcohol action project which has recently moved into purpose-built premises in Blantyre, Ms Robison said:
"Scotland's alcohol misuse problem is costing our country £2.25 billion and blighting the lives of families and communities across the country.
"This further significant investment will help to turn lives around across Scotland by identifying and treating people in need of help.
"And that's good for everyone, because if we can tackle problems head-on, we can prevent a lot of misery to individuals and families, as well as knock-on costs for the taxpayer."
Margaret Halbert, General Manager Liber8 Lanarkshire, said:
"In the past, Liber8 Lanarkshire's adult counselling service was provided and sustained by volunteers, but since the alcohol funding became available, Liber8 has been able to employ counsellors to add to, sustain and develop the provision of alcohol services throughout South Lanarkshire - in particular the rural areas - where a mobile service now exists.
"Due to the significant impact that alcohol has on individuals, families and communities, these finances have made Liber8's alcohol service more reachable at the point of need. We look forward to continuing this much-needed support in the coming months and years and welcome the investment currently being provided."
Today's £36 million for 2009-10 is 45 per cent higher than the £24.86 million allocation for 2008-9.
It forms part of a planned three-year package of £120 million to tackle alcohol misuse more widely - an overall funding increase of 230 per cent compared to the previous period.
Part of this year's funding will allow boards to deliver more 'brief interventions' - in which people turning up at GP surgeries, A&E and other healthcare settings with problems that could be alcohol-related are asked about their intake and given advice on sensible drinking.
The bulk of the money will, however, support treatment for people whose problems have been identified.

Board Funding for 2009-10

Millions

Ayrshire and Arran 2.49
Borders 0.98

Dumfries and Galloway 1.22
Fife 2.47
Forth Valley 1.90

Grampian 2.80
Greater Glasgow and Clyde 9.06
Highland 2.27

Lanarkshire 3.44
Lothian 5.31
Orkney 0.42
Shetland 0.43
Tayside 2.70
Western Isles 0.50

Total 36
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 pm

ET

Buckfast fights ‘discrimination’

THE company behind Buckfast tonic wine is to take Glasgow's licensing board to court over claims its product is discriminated against.
Judges at the Court of Session in Edinburgh will decide in October whether there are grounds for a judicial review.
Buckfast's distributor, J Chandler & Co, claims some retailers have been told to provide undertakings not to stock the drink.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:10 pm

The checkout girl at Asda told me recently that all the bargains stop come September 1st. True?
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:45 pm

hungryjoe wrote:The checkout girl at Asda told me recently that all the bargains stop come September 1st. True?
10am till 10pm every day of the week for off sales,no promoting at the front of store or any displays outside designated areas.No deals or offers that could be deemed to promote excessive drinking.From what i have seen so far that could be any deal or offer.No multibuys,no reductions. All from September 1st.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:02 am

Booze deals are going nowhere, the supermarkets will just dress them up as standard pricing. Take for example the totally stand alone cigarette counter, folk like ciggies so folk will buy ciggies. Folk like getting pished so folk will buy booze who ever offers it at the best price will get the custom.

My local co-op does 2 cases of cider for £15 that's 50p a can. They simply will not advertise it as a promotion but you'll still get the deal.

EDIT: Drinking age 21, please that's a myth of epic proportions
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:21 am

Dave wrote:Booze deals are going nowhere, the supermarkets will just dress them up as standard pricing. Take for example the totally stand alone cigarette counter, folk like ciggies so folk will buy ciggies. Folk like getting pished so folk will buy booze who ever offers it at the best price will get the custom.

My local co-op does 2 cases of cider for £15 that's 50p a can. They simply will not advertise it as a promotion but you'll still get the deal.

EDIT: Drinking age 21, please that's a myth of epic proportions
The difficulty for the big supermarkets is going to come with advertising.The offer of 400 bottles of beer for a fiver will bring folks running but when they have to rely on the punter spotting it when no extra ticketing or advertising is allowed,another part of the legislation,instore will be a tough one.It will be intresting to see how they manage it.An allowed example would be,£5.99 wine for £4.99,one pound off.But saying Two for a Tenner,which amounts to the same thing will be banned.Retailers have ben told to expect one overt Trading Standards visit and one covert test purchase every month.On top of that everyone involved in selling alcohol has to complete a minimum two hours training that can be verified during a Trading Standards visit.This is on top of all trading hours being covered by a Personal Licence Holder who will have had at least a days verifiable training and have a valid Personal Licence.And on top of that every premesis will need a Premesis Licence Holder,generally the Manager.None of these Licences are issued without a visist to council offices and an interview from the police.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:31 am

The cost to the retailer for booze rarely fluctuates. Most likely the price will be hedged and the manufacturer/brewer/vintner/whatever will enjoy a guaranteed cash flow in return, the deals are used to clear stocks if it looks like the retailer is going to renege on their agreement. So to that end prices will remain low unless the government taxes us

I don't know about the rest of you but I only buy extra booze on special price if the special price is on the booze I want to buy. I wouldn't suddenly change brand to something I didn't know because I was being offered a better price. I also think the element of society that would will likely be seeking out something strong.
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions