The Glasgow Taliban

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Glasgow Taliban

Postby scottland » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:10 pm

PAKISTANI cafe boss yesterday claimed death threats from religious extremists had forced him to wear a bulletproof vest.

Jimshaed Sharif, 50, says he has become a target for fanatical Muslims because he plays music and serves alcohol.

Dad-of-two Jimshaed added: "I have to take these threats seriously and have been forced to start wearing a bulletproof vest.

"It is not that I think they will shoot me but I have to do everything I can to protect myself and knives are a worry.

"Muslim thugs have threatened to kill me and petrol bomb my cafe because I play music and serve customers alcohol.

"I am being targeted because I do not share their Islamic beliefs and I think this is shocking. We are supposed to live in a free country and I just want to live a free man.

"I consider myself Scottish because I was brought up here and even though I was born in Lahore a Muslim, I no longer hold any religious beliefs.

"I am being punished because of this and it is not right.

"I am prepared to stand up to these fanatics and want to send them a message that I will not be bullied into silence. I will continue to entertain my customers with Western music like Tom Waits, Radiohead and Mozart and serve them beer.

"This my city, my home. How dare they try to intimidate me and threaten me like this. It is intolerable."

Jimshaed, who runs the Pakistani Cafe on the south side of Glasgow, went on: "I have even put a note in the window saying, 'We do not welcome Nazis, religious bigots, sexist or racist people' because I am against any of that. It disgusts me."

A few days ago dad-of-two Jimshaed arrived at his restaurant to find his windows smashed in with a hammer. He said: "It was the second time my windows had been smashed but this time I think we might have CCTV footage of some kind and I reported it to the police."

Jimshaed said one man had demanded he remove books by Salman Rushdie - a figure of hate for hardline Muslims since his novel The Satanic Verses - from the books he keeps for his customers.

He said: "When I refused and told him to leave he smashed my window.

"One Friday some weeks ago when the restaurant was packed with customers, a young Pakistani man came in and told me that I must not play music or sell alcohol.

He wanted to put a leaflet in my window campaigning for a separate Muslim cemetery. It made me sick and I told him there was no way I would entertain it.

"Eventually he left but within 15 minutes about 12 men drove up outside my cafe in big fancy cars.

"They came into the cafe and started causing a disturbance telling me I had to stop playing music and selling alcohol.

"It got so bad I had to call the police.

"They said they had enough evidence to charge them with breach of the peace and asked me if I wanted to go ahead with it but I said no because I thought it would cause me more hassle in the long term."

Police said they had received a report of a vandal attack at the restaurant.

A spokeswoman said: "No arrests have been made and our inquiries are ongoing."
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The Glasgow Taliban

Postby Sharon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Unless you interviewed Mr Sharif yourself, please quote your sources!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Don't you recognise the Daily Record house 'style'?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Sharon wrote:Unless you interviewed Mr Sharif yourself, please quote your sources!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... -21480082/

I dont like you , bye bye.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:28 pm

scottland wrote:I dont like you , bye bye.

You off then? Shut the door after you, eh?
dazza
-
-

Postby big/davie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:53 pm

He considers himself Scottish but calls his cafe The Pakistani Cafe :? if i was in his position i would buy the best cctv system he could afford, they seem to favour the use of petrol along with half their street when trying to intimidate people and he had to stop playing music ::): wonder what they were playing in their big fancy cars,maybe The bangra all time greatest hits, don't think so more like a bit of tupac or puff daddy while pulling their boxers up and pulling the trouser zips down to their knees while walking as if someone had just puff daddied them up the arse.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:04 pm

big/davie wrote:... bleeargh...

Oh come on. Seriously, this is tiring. Stop beating about the bush and state your intentions clearly.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby big/davie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:
big/davie wrote:... bleeargh...

Oh come on. Seriously, this is tiring. Stop beating about the bush and state your intentions clearly.
em what are you on about :?
Last edited by big/davie on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 pm

Or just play dumb...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 pm

Great cafe this too, wondered why the shutters were down the other day.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:57 pm

You tell me, you seem to know something i don't :?: was it the trouser comment that offended you ?
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Play dumb it is then. Bye-bye, big/davie.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Punjabi fry up, great tasting too. Their lassi is good too.

- hence the name of the place as it's like the idea of an Italian Cafe called "The Italian Cafe" controversial eh!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 am

But the fella that owns it considers himself Scottish, he doesn't say he's a Pakistani scot does he, anyway it's not too important, what is though is his safety.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby iBob » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:15 am

"Jimshaed Sharif, 50, says he has become a target for fanatical Muslims because he plays music and serves alcohol."

The perpetrators will have a busy time in Glasgow then - not unknown for a few measures of the hard stuff to pass over the counter of a Muslim owned establishment. Indeed the off sales industry was industrialised by the Ali brothers through their AA Brothers chain.

The situation sounds appalling for the man. I knew of Mohammad Sarwar's death threats but hadn't heard of this story.

Who are the people doing this and why are they tolerated?
iBob
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)