Glasgow Garden Festival 1988

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JamesMc » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:42 am

Don't know if anyone else has come across this but, check this out, a map of the site to jog some more buried memories!

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imagevie ... =TGSA00507

and that is just one pic, the glasgow story site has loads of the Festival, just do a search on the site under 'Garden Festival' and you'll see, the sculptures, rollercoaster etc. Didn't want to post them all, thought it better to link to the site. Tremendous stuff!

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:21 pm

Speedbird wrote:I also forgot, does anyone else remember the straw steam loco that was hung from the Finneston crane to mark the 25th anniversary of the closure of the NBL at Springburn??

Made by Billy Wylie (??).

George Wylie:
http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/springburn/sp096.htm
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:00 pm

Gazzathecoigne wrote:Yeah I remember it. Did'nt they set it alight along with the huge firework display to mark the closure of the Garden Festival?

*They set it alight, but I was not aware that it was to mark the end of the GF, I just thought it was there to mark the 25th anniversary of the closure of the NBL in 1962.
That would have been in 1987 then, not 1988.*

I remember that poor guy got his leg blown off when one of the fireworks (size of an oil drum) exploded, he was on Scotland Today for weeks after it.

*Never knew that either, but then, I only knew about it because my parents had pointed it out to me once when we were going over the Kingston Bridge.
I was only 5 after all.*
Last edited by Speedbird on Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:02 pm

[quote="JamesMc"]Don't know if anyone else has come across this but, check this out, a map of the site to jog some more buried memories!

If you have read my first replys', then I wonder exactly how much more hidden memories are waiting to be unleashed.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:07 pm

Looking at the map, I suddenly remember, up at the back where the stream is, that it was nice big gardens' and with lots of waterfalls', and a few stepping stones over the stream.
All landscaped.
Am I right in thinking that there was something to do with a mash tun there as well??

The railway is as big as I remember, and it went round past the Clydesdale tower which I remember seeing on the first day.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:17 pm

George Wylie:
http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/springburn/sp096.htm[/quote]

Thanks. Interesting to see it again, and find out the actual dates of it.

Wonder if they will ever do such a thing ever again.

How about in 2012 to mark the 50th?
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:40 pm

Speedbird wrote:My big sister was in the school chior at the time, and she sang, along with other schoolkids on the Bell's bridge at the opening ceremony.
She was at the side of the SECC whilst we were on the festival side.
They all wore different coloured suits I remember (probably the colours' of the rainbow).
I saw Charles and Dianna away off in the distance (probably about 30 or 40 feet away, which seemed a huge distance at the time) as they opened it.

As I said somewhere else on this thread, the opening ceremony was televised live, I've still got this on tape, and I really to plan on getting some screengrabs from it online soon. Honest!
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:05 pm

Wonder if we are on it.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:25 pm

I have (somewhere) some pics that I took when I visited the GF. I went twice. I suspect there are more picture of my ex girlfriends than there are of interesting features though :oops:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone had pictures of it in fact.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:19 pm

Speedbird wrote:I was wondering if anyone had pictures of it in fact.

As i mentioned earlier in the thread, there are loads of pics on http://www.theglasgowstory.com , put "garden festival" into the image search and you'll see. Pics of the opening ceremony, Charlie and Di etc too.

JamesMc :)
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:47 pm

Sorry, when I clicked on the link given before I got the map and nothing else.
Thanks.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:46 am

I actually apeared on Scotland Today with the rest of my p6 class from the Garden Festival. We where dressed as boys & girls from victorian Glasgow and sang old school songs from yester year on the band stand. Songs like "Hands up kick the can", "Down in yonder medow" and "My maw's a millionaire".

We got a great reception from the gathering crowd and there was a video made by the teacher. Wonder if I asked nicely.....?

*Think I mentioned this somewhere before, but can't find it*
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jedi » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:28 am

heres is a few of the pics from it dont know were i got them from were on my pc

Quick Take A Picture....

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/crazyjedione
jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:12 pm

Ta.

I remember that high street bit but had no idea why there were stupid scafoldy bits on the tops of most of them............. :oops:

I was a slow child, but then, most, if not all of the buildings' represented, I wouldn't have recognised anyway.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects