Postby glasgowken » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:13 am

Could it be young love ? ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stobhill Hospital Re-Development

Postby Smartalex » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm

Construction Work Begins on the new £100million Stobhill Hospital to open in 2009:-
>BBC Report<
>NHS Website<
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:38 pm

I'm really surprised that they haven't just flogged the site off to developers and moved all the services to Glasgow Royal. Or vice-versa.

Don't think anyone read the press release before posting it though :
There will also be a Minor Injuries Unit staffed by Emergency Nurse Practitioners dealing with the ‘walking wounded’. (Minor injuries explanation needed here.)

:)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:09 am

Josef wrote:I'm really surprised that they haven't just flogged the site off to developers and moved all the services to Glasgow Royal. Or vice-versa.

:)

Give them time.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby joelang1699 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:13 pm

JayKay wrote:I also have heard of there being a direct train route for wounded WW1 soldiers in Glasgow.

The difference is that I heard it was Stobhill Hospital, which does have a (now disused) rail line beside it. This line would have connected to the Glasgow/Edinburgh line at Springburn. Some of this disused line is still visible off Glasgow Road in Springburn.

I had also heard that this direct train line to the hospital existed so that civillian morale would not have been adversely affected by seeing what was happening to the soldiers at the front.

Hey JayKay this line was actualy part of the Caledonian Railway Hamiltonhill Branch, it didnt connect to the E&G but it did pass over it via a bridge that was removed in the late 70s. To the west of the E&G the line divided at Possil Junction to the Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire railway and then continued on crossing over the North British Dumbarton & Helensburgh Branch. To the east of the E&G the line did run past Stobhill but there was never any station there (not that I can find). The line then joined up to the section of track that runs from Springburn to Stepps which was the LMS route from Glasgow Buchanan Street station (long gone).

I can upload some scans of the line from 1913 if you want, however you can still trace the track bed on google maps.

8 years later is better than no response at all.
joelang1699
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Stobhill Hospital

Postby joelang1699 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:14 pm

In fact check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HamiltonHill1923.jpg

That shows the entire line crossing over Eastfield Depot
joelang1699
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazed_and_confused » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:56 pm

I always thought there was a rail link into Stobhill itself, just before you get to Casualty?

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.89421 ... =0&src=msl

There's a 1 storey deep hole by the side of the clock tower, under the small bridge. Sadly, no secret tunnel though. Was this a station in a steep cutting, a siding, or just a hole in the ground?

Nothing seems to show up on any old maps I've seen, like the one above.
I can't believe we drank the whole thing!
dazed_and_confused
First Stripe
First Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazza » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:57 am

In September 1914, at the beginning of the first world war, the hospital was requisitioned by the Royal Army Medical Corps and the first batch of wounded servicemen arrived by specially converted 'ambulance train' at a temporary railway platform built within the grounds. It ran round the back of Stobhill Hospital, just at Littlehill Golf Club.
dazza
-
-

Postby Shazbat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Stobhill Hospital

Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby peasy23 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 pm

dazed_and_confused wrote:I always thought there was a rail link into Stobhill itself, just before you get to Casualty?

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.89421 ... =0&src=msl

There's a 1 storey deep hole by the side of the clock tower, under the small bridge. Sadly, no secret tunnel though. Was this a station in a steep cutting, a siding, or just a hole in the ground?

Nothing seems to show up on any old maps I've seen, like the one above.

Not that it helps place exactly where the trains stopped at the hospital, but there are several pics on the Virtual Mitchell site of the first train being unloaded. It does look in a couple of the pics as if the soldiers are being unloaded from the train then put into ambulances, so I would guess that the station was built alongside the existing railway line rather than a branch going into the hospital itself. Should add that I used to walk along that old track bed quite regular and there was never any sign of anything veering off it towards Stobhill.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=wordsearch&s=gallery&key=WczoxNzoic3RvYmhpbGwgaG9zcGl0YWwiOw==&pg=2
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby Guacho » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 pm

12_18_0.JPEG

Tiny part of the map, hopefully shows where the trains with the wounded went
Interestingly, this is the 1913 version...........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazza » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Guacho wrote:Tiny part of the map, hopefully shows where the trains with the wounded went
Interestingly, this is the 1913 version...........

If you mean the line branching off under the clock tower then, no, I can't believe that's where the wounded were unloaded. That's just a small goods line leading to the stores. It would have been completely impractical as, once unloaded and brought into the stores, the wounded would have to have been stretchered up a small set of stairs, loaded into a freight lift, gone up one storey, then transported in to the hospital.
dazza
-
-

Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazza » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I did a bit of digging, and what I discovered corroborates my previous two posts on this subject:

"It was commonly believed that wounded personnel were brought into the hospital by train via the railway line, which until it was removed ran right up to the boiler house. While it is true that patients were brought by rail directly to the hospital grounds, they disembarked at a temporary railway platform which was erected at the side of the railway line adjacent to the old Mortuary. This arrangement expedited the arrival at the hospital in two ways, viz., the train could be re-routed to avoid going through the centre of the city and it could proceed directly into the hospital grounds".

This map shows the position of the original mortuary:

...and this 1960's aerial shows the close proximity of the former railway line to the mortuary:

Contemporary newspaper reports from September 1914 detail the arrival of the first war wounded patients to Stobhill:

"The first big contingent of wounded soldiers to reach Glasgow arrived on Sunday night by two special ambulance trains from Southampton, the first at 10 o'clock and the second an hour later. As Stobhill Hospital is now devoted to military purposes, a temporary railway platform has been erected in the grounds, and trains from London can be diverted from the main line at a point in the suburbs of the city so as to proceed direct to the hospital. This diversion of the trains at Rutherglen avoids passing through the centre of Glasgow, and consequently only railway officials and the Stobhill staff were aware of arrival of so many wounded in the city. The most serious injured - there were only a few who required stretchers -were conveyed from the temporary station to the hospital in St. Andrew's Ambulance wagons".

The newspaper reports go on to tell us that the first batch of arrivals consisted of 200 men, which regiments they were from, and the severity of their injuries. There certainly doesn't appear to have been any attempt to hide the truth for fear of crushing morale.
dazza
-
-

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects