INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby Dave » Tue May 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Thank you Hef. You're welcome to talk shite like the rest of us.

Yes yes Hef. Welcome aboard. Just mind the banter can be viewed as harsh but the reality is that it's just banter. Try laughing with it ;)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Sharon wrote:
delirium wrote:Hi,
I joined up ages ago but haven't posted as I usually find I get caught up reading posts and forget to say anything!
I live in town, make corsets and like going long walks round the city (but usually forget to take a camera!).

We love corsets!! Do you make them on a commercial basis, as I would love to have one custom made to my spec! :)

The corsets got people's ears pricked up :)!
Yes, I have a wee business making them to order. Very small scale - I work from home. Not sure what the etiquette is so won't post a link but you'll find me under Crikey Aphrodite.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll make the effort to post a bit. I've lurked for ages, but admit to feeling a bit shy as it seems a bit cutthroat in here at times! :)
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Hey folks,

Wow, what a fantastic forum. I've been a massive fan of this place for ages, albeit this is my first post.

The Past/Present threads in particular are both beatiful and informative. The photo merges (or whatever they should be called) especially highlight the unecesarry destruction inflicted on this great city under the misnomer of progress.

Keep up the good (and undoubtly hard) work.

Toodlez

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 21, 2009 4:57 pm

InkMan wrote:Hey folks,

The Past/Present threads in particular are both beatiful and informative. The photo merges (or whatever they should be called) especially highlight the unecesarry destruction inflicted on this great city under the misnomer of progress.

Keep up the good (and undoubtly hard) work.

Toodlez

Shuggy

You think they should've left the tram lines at Govan Cross.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu May 21, 2009 5:25 pm

delirium wrote:Crikey Aphrodite.

::): ::): ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:You think they should've left the tram lines at Govan Cross.

Dexter,

I should have made my point with a dergee of clarity.

To begin with, no I don't think they should have left the tram lines at Govan Cross. There are a number of modern buildings that I like. An example being the Waterstone Building at the junction of Hope Street and Argyll Street. My second example is the St Enoch Centre. As I only remember the appalling dump of a car park that was left after the hotel was demolished I think the structure was an improvement and wasn't the blight on the landscape as some seem to suggest.

I was going to make these points about how I am not against modernisation, however I felt that doing so in my first post wasn't appropriate.

Like many people what angers me is that the people paid by the public purse (of which I was one for almost fifteen years) made the decision to replace (*) so many of our older buildings; some of which could have been repaired or had their interior altered for modern use, with an architectural equivalent of something that crawled out of the bins at Sir Basis Spence's back street abortion clinic. When such modernisation sees buildings inappropriately placed then insult added with them having such a short life span that they are already being pulled down and replaced I feel that the planners must be questioned.

(*) Please also refer to the term 'allowed to be destroyed by fire'.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 21, 2009 5:58 pm

That's the spirit, InkMan. Welcome.

InkMan wrote:...an architectural equivalent of something that crawled out of the bins at Sir Basis Spence's back street abortion clinic.

::):
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby glw d0n » Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 pm

hi everyone...........just joined here,as it says on the tin, introduce yourself ::): im don,i live just outside glasgow (north) male,came across this excellent forum by accident today. i was born in oakbank hospital 1961, my parents then lived in SHAMROCK st,cowcaddens, (good ol tennament building ) :D which sadly got demolished to make way for the m8 motorway. think ? i was 3-4 years old @ the time,we then moved maryhill/lambhill area of the city. was searching the net today for any old pics of SHAMROCK st,got a few from the mitchell library,then came across here,can any u guys or gals suggest anywhere else i can look ? ...... DON :D
glw d0n
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Quality Mince wrote:My name is Quality Mince. I live in the south side of Glasgow. My acquaintances call me Mr Mince; my friends simply call me Quality. I am originally from Ayrshire where I had a different name!! I have been living in various parts of the city for over 30 years now and in my opinion Glasgow is the best city by a mile in the whole of the UK. I came across this site when I was researching the Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park, a topic which still fascinates me.
I really enjoy reading the various threads in the site. There is a good balance of knowledge, opinion and humour. My apologies for not introducing myself earlier.

Great site, keep up the good work.

new uploads on empire exhibition at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 951852611/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon May 25, 2009 12:50 pm

cheers robert
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Bec » Mon May 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi my name is bec, and I grew up here and now i'm starting to get interested in all the hidden places and mysterious things there are here. My friend pretty much registered me here :).. at least I have a partner to explore with :D

x
Bec
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby floweredpig » Mon May 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Hello to you Bec,good isnt it?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby zoidberg » Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Bec :)
"He can't stay down with three barrels on him, not with three barrels he can't."
zoidberg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tafscot » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Sorry i posted an intro to myself elsewhere, probably should have visited all the threads before posting? but what the heck here goes again.
My name is Dave Robb, I was originally from Penilee, attended Linburn Road primary and Govan High, before starting work at Thermotank in Helen Street. Was very active in the life Boys and Boys brigade round the Govan area, The 213th which was in the Church at Govan Cross, Then the 113 th, Ran the District Life boy Football team.
Joined the army and travelled the world, eventually being awarded the BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL by the Queen in 1972 for services to youth work, then in 1974 was given the Military BEM for services with the Bomb Disposal in Ireland.
Got demobbed in England and started my own Industrial Chemical company, eventually employing 400 folks, sold out in 1989 to a large Blue Chip lot and with the better half being a Welsh lass we moved here to Pembrokeshire, where I live the life of the retired along with my Wife and two King Charles Spaniels.
We have Four grown up c hildren 8 grand children and 4 Great grand children? thats about me?
A stranger is just a friend you have yet to meet.

www.50plusforum.co.uk
Tafscot
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby TeeHeeHee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi y'all, I originally introduced myself in a short and sweet fashion back in March (10th). I was on another board and saw mention there of this one in the form of a put down, so I popped in for a look; told a few jokes and was lambasted for being racist, sexist and abusive toward the physically impaired: Which seemed to confirm the put down which I'd read on the other board.
I still looked in on the occasion but my preference was to the other board; until fairly recently.
I've been struggling to navigate my way through the maze of corridors and tunnels and catacombs that exist here on HG and am finally getting the hang of it now and am completely AMAZED at the absolute mine of information and unbelievably interesting topics to be found here; it's all there if you only care to look for it.
I'm hooked.
I was born in Glasgow to a Glasgow family about whom I know absolutely zilch; other than a few repetitive female names and a choice of possible grandparents stemming from these...but nothing hard and fast so far.
That might change with some help from some of youse yins among the older, really older, generations since I'm looking at 65 myself in exactly two weeks from now !
I was a wee war baby ( the second one, that is) and was born in what I recently learned was a home for unwed mothers on the Great Western Road to an 18 year old girl called Sarah Hamilton Reid, in 1944. There were three females of this name ( who unfortunately seem to have passed away) living in Milton Place and seemed to be a couple or more families on the same street bearing this name.
I was fostered out before Xmas that year and was reared in Blantyre, just down the road a bit from the "Toon".
Great upbringing although when I was out of order a bit as a kid I was always branded as a wee Glesca keelie, which made me wonder a bit as a kid.
Eventually joined the RAF at twenty two, before I left it too late, to help keep them Ruskies at bay, and used my experience there to tour Europe and the Near and Middle Eastern lands, for remuneration of course.
Settled, unintentionally, where I am now on the borders between Germany, Switzerland and France about 23 years ago. I get back to Glasgow when I can but that's not easy with a girlfriend who is a complete stay-at-home. When she was married she went on honeymoon to Greece and told her man after a few days that he could stay on and enjoy his holiday but she was driving home....it was too dusty in Greece !
She's not that bad now, but.......... !
Anyway, here I am folks and I really will spend lots of time now on this great board.
btw, if any one has any idea regarding any possible descendants of a Hamilton Reid family from Milton area of that era around the WWII time, I would be grateful.
Quick mention to a member here "DickyHart": Fantastic link there Dicky, had me mesmerised for HOURS on end.
Thanks all and to MyKitten and Sharon for sorting out that wee difficulty that I had with the signature.
Cheers,
TeeHeeHee
Gimme a shout when ma dinner's ready
TeeHeeHee
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)