HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby Peetabix » Fri May 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Or am I just past it.

Aye. :D

You like what you like man. What modern films do you like?
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri May 15, 2009 10:35 pm

i thought this one was not bad,from 90s.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Fri May 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Peetabix wrote:
Or am I just past it.

Aye. :D

You like what you like man. What modern films do you like?

Er, 4 weddings & a funeral?? :D :D

In fairness, the only films I seem to see these days involve Pixar characters but I quite fancy that political spin doctor thingy that's allegedly based on Alistair Campbell and is a spin off from some BBC2 prog but I wouldn't think the music's up to Morricone standards....!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri May 15, 2009 10:55 pm

draugelis wrote:I just don't get it! Will anybody ever again make classics like The Good,The Bad and the Ugly with the superb Ennio Morricone music, or Bill Forsyth's "That Sinking Feeling" compared to some of the "sci-fi" er, stuff, (refraining oneself from gutterall language) posted on here? Or am I just past it....... :?

I saw That Sinking Feeling recently - it's still a favourite, but wasn't quite as good as I remembered. As a film, anyway - it's pretty good as a snapshot of vanished Glasgow.

Popular cinema is popular cinema. It's uncommon that 'classics' and 'popular' intersect, at least at the time of release. The Guardian this very day had a piece on the writer of the screenplay of 'Once upon a time in America', where the bloke mentions the fact that Sergio Leone's films were hugely unpopular with the critics at the time. And another article on James Mason, in which they highlight the fact that in the year of 'North by North-West', the acting Oscars were won not by Mason or Grant, but by Charlton Heston and Hugh Griffith for 'Ben Hur'.

Classics are judged in retrospect, once the hype has cleared. Get yourself to the cinema - it's a whole different world to the press and TV.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Fri May 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Great piece of advice from Josef.

Go to the flicks or rent some stuff out. Fight Club, Unforgiven, Mystic River, American Gangster, Body Of Lies. Check them out.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Josef wrote: Get yourself to the cinema - it's a whole different world to the press and TV.

Josef, that's a very good shout and I agree; I should get myself along to the cinema to see movies that appeal to me rather than my daughter! I don't think though that I'm too influenced by the press otherwise I'd be drooling over the latest James Bond movie (is Timothy Dalton still the main man?) but I do enjoy taking my kid to "the pictures" however if ever there could be another movie along the lines of "The Commitments" then I would be first in the queue - using my weight to get me there! Maybe it's just me but a "raw" local film from whatever area beats what is, to my mind, overproduction any time.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat May 16, 2009 2:56 am

I thought Fight Club would be just horrendous, but I watched it anyway and now think it's brilliant. I reckon you'd like In Bruges. (Tense, funny, dialogue-driven... what's not to like?)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Sat May 16, 2009 7:56 am

draugelis wrote:I should get myself along to the cinema to see movies that appeal to me rather than my daughter!

It's not always a bad thing letting your daughter drag you along to the cinema. I've seen a few excellent films I wouldn't otherwise have thought to have gone to, not least 'Spirited Away' and 'Howl's Moving Castle'. And I still have a soft spot for The Princess Bride and Ella Enchanted.

I think I'll let her drag me along to Coraline, shortly.

And on the subject of tunnels to another world - I quite fancy Synecdoche. The reviews suggest it's either a masterpiece or complete, utter tosh, which sounds like my kind of divide. And even if it's the latter, I can forgive Kaufmann a lot for 'Being John Malkovich' and 'Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind'.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat May 16, 2009 8:02 am

I must admit i resisted In Bruge for ages just because Colin Farrell is the new Roger Moore but i eventually relented and was pleasantly surprised very good dark humour.Finally got around to watching Before The Devil Knows Your Dead recently and thats recommended .Cant say i'm a sci-fi fan although Tron looks interesting ,then again what do i know? my two favourite films of all time are Apocalypse Now and Its A Wonderful Life .
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat May 16, 2009 8:07 am

Lucky Poet wrote:I thought Fight Club would be just horrendous, but I watched it anyway and now think it's brilliant. I reckon you'd like In Bruges. (Tense, funny, dialogue-driven... what's not to like?)

The first time I watched Fight Club I got about an hour into and thought it was utter shite. It now sits firmly in my top 5 list and I can't see ti being moved for some time.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat May 16, 2009 8:15 am

Fight Club should be the new Christmas movie shown every year just after the Queens speech!! I must admit having read the book i thought the movie could never live up to it but it captured it perfectly.Anyone else been a fan of a book and been let down by the movie version? Theres been a few in fact there's been millions but hey its only just after 9 in the morning 2 more coffees and i'll be back with some examples....... :wink:
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 am

I Am Legend - Brilliant book, very average film.

On the other hand, Mystic River is a good book and film.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat May 16, 2009 9:05 am

Peetabix wrote:I Am Legend - Brilliant book, very average film.

On the other hand, Mystic River is a good book and film.

Must admit Peet that I Am Legend (for me) was never going to work if only because of Will Smith i dunno but even when i watched him in Ali all i could see and think of ( indeed everything he does) is the Fresh Prince.Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas,great book chronic movie but then again depending on what state of mind you are in and what "ahem" enhancements you have used besides popcorn sometimes works :D
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

V for Vendetta... a pleasent surprise. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat May 16, 2009 7:43 pm

I do like fight club and v for vendetta, watched valkyrie the other night - i hate cruise with a passion but he was actually not too bad. I do like Branagh - better movie was Conspiracy
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions