Fountains Lost and Found

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Squigster » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:35 pm

Oh well, I suppose i will have to go into a pub and get them to fill my bottle - Promising to return and drink at least 6 pints of beer after my run.

( Done this at Coopers a few weeks ago ).

I didn't actually promise to return, but as the barmaid was nice and friendly / helpful i thought what the hell - A few beers wouldn't kill me
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:49 pm

sharon wrote:WOuld you use one now? I'd always assume they'd been pee'd on! 8O

You girls will pee anywhere 8O
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:32 pm

sharon wrote:WOuld you use one now? I'd always assume they'd been pee'd on! 8O

that was my concern too
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:52 pm

Some good fountain news, perhaps, from the ET:

AN HISTORIC Glasgow fountain could be brought back to life next year.
Parks bosses want to restore the Stewart Memorial Fountain in Kelvingrove Park and have now lodged a planning application.
Story continues....

I'm so delighted about this I wont even moan about the use of "An historic"... :wink:
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:17 am

red_kola wrote:I'm so delighted about this I wont even moan about the use of "An historic"... :wink:

hehe oh go on.. whats wrong with it? Great news tho, well done Jim and his team!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby viceroy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:04 am

Did the Stewart Memorial Fountain not already go through a major restoration process a number of years back? Presumably this time the exercise mainly entails installing the water recycling system mentioned in the article.

I have fond memories of this fountain as a child in the nineteen fifties. No concerns about vandals and/or graffiti in those days, let alone water wastage!
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:33 am

viceroy wrote:Did the Stewart Memorial Fountain not already go through a major restoration process a number of years back? Presumably this time the exercise mainly entails installing the water recycling system mentioned in the article.

They certainly gave it a good clean (mostly to remove the grafitti). It was boxed in for a while IIRC. Since then it has been switched on only on a select few hot days in the summer and even then, never with the level of water pressure I remember from the early 90s.

Hopefully this restoration will lead to it being left on all of the time, and with CCTV now in KG also, help to discourage any further vandalism.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fraz13 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:10 am

One thats lost for ever....

Read more into the house that it belonged to, Well interesting site....

http://www.ourlocalhistory.co.uk/
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:23 pm

Good to see the Stewart Memorial Fountain actually switched on today. First time in a few years. They were working most of yesterday trying to get it working but It had looked like they wouldn't manage it. Still at a shadow of its former power but hell, better than nothing:

Amazing the impetus a wee visit from the BBC can create. The council even painted over 3 years worth of graffiti on the kids play park. If only they were this responsive to their constituents...
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:12 pm

It was in the paper a month or so ago about that - they're restoring it, but it currently uses mains water which drains into the Kelvin. Plan is to fit a pump and recycle the water in it, but of course, that requires an electricity supply, which will need to be brought in via excavation. They were dithering on whether to do it now and risk upsetting summer users of the park with holes in the path, or to wait till after summer when it's quieter, which would deprive summer peeps of a dip! Also, the nozzles needed repairing as they were in bad way. Guess this is what they're up to this week, assessing the state of the thing!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:56 pm

red_kola wrote:Good to see the Stewart Memorial Fountain actually switched on today. First time in a few years. They were working most of yesterday trying to get it working but It had looked like they wouldn't manage it. Still at a shadow of its former power but hell, better than nothing:

I posted a couple of pictures in the 'Glasgow City Shots' yesterday... it was on and (kinda) working on Thursday morning. Most of the nozzles arent firing fully and the water is pishing inbetween all the cracks in the masonry
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fountains Lost and Found

Postby Mori » Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 pm

ET

City fountain is set to flow once more

WORK will start tomorrow on bringing a historic Glasgow fountain back to life.
More than £500,000 will be spent restoring the Stewart Memorial Fountain in Kelvingrove Park in the West End.
As part of the work, an underground water recycling system will be installed which will allow the fountain to operate in a sustainable way for the first time in its long history.
Until now the fountain has been fed from the mains supply, and drained into the River Kelvin, which was not environmentally friendly.
The Stewart Memorial Fountain was built in 1872 to commemorate Robert Stewart who was Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1851 until 1854.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 pm

There used to be a drinking fountain at Woodilee Hospital - it was the memorial to the staff killed in World War One.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtop ... warmemscot

Probably long gone now.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:55 pm

[quote="Mori"]ET

City fountain is set to flow once more

Work is well underway. They seem to be digging rather deeply around the fountain.

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pclimie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Heritage Trail leaflet added to website:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... untain.htm
pclimie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects