Formula One

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Formula One

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:42 am

Right come one, we all know football will spiral into bad karma and that rugby is for toffs so who out there is a Formula One fan?

I was an Ayrton Senna fan until ......... I thought motor racing was over but thankfully a plucky Scot took the reigns, shame he wasn't nearly as good but I did follow David Coulthard throughout his F1 career, I even have a personally signed photo 'Happy 30th Dave, all the best DC", It was signed in Melbourne and a much cherished gift from my wife. You can guess what the occasion was.

I'm now struck for the first time in my life as to who to follow, I don't care much for Lewis Hamilton, yes he's talented and focussed but I just don't like him. Jenson Button is for the first time in his career showing form but he's been about too long for me to be all that excited (sorry BrigitDoon). Kimi Raikonnen is a blinding talent but he is far to drab despite his being a raging alcoholic. Maybe Sebastien Vettel hmm........

Anyways I guess 2009 will mark the first time in 26 years that I have no-one to follow in F1, anyone else want to throw their tupence worth so we can start discussing the finer elements of the sport.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Formula One

Postby crazygray23 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:34 am

im a formula 1 fan but i stopped watching races because quite frankly i thought ITV`s coverage was pish, now its back to BBC im happy, im not a fan of the big teams tbh i liked to see the smaller teams do well i felt they always epitomised the passion of F1 like minardi did, a small team that never could be world beaters but the fighting spirit they had made you smile and occasionally pulled a surprise out the bag.

this season has got me excited the field seems to be a lot more open with Red Bull, Williams and Toyota all punching way above their weight finally and Brawn GP being the biggest surprise of all , i was gutted to see Honda go as they were one of the few names who have a long tradition in motor racing but the new team are having a dream start and did what Nick Fry couldnt do with the original BAR team and win a race in their first season nevermind two.....but this is just down to what seems to be a perfect package ..A Mercedes Benz engine..a car tha finally became competitive (wonder how it might have been if honda had stayed) .. the midas touch of ross brawn and jenson button...........the ferrari fans wont be happy at ross brawn being ascociated with mercedes benz..........all we need is Michael Schumacher to jump ship to his former boss`s team and were complete
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:52 pm

Pencil on cartridge paper

Gouache on CS10 art board
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:54 pm

dave3009 wrote: we all know that rugby is for toffs

really? when was the last time you went to a rugby match?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Sir Roger DeLodgerley wrote:
dave3009 wrote: we all know that rugby is for toffs

really? when was the last time you went to a rugby match?

Did I touch a nerve? I take it you enjoy rugby but you're just a regular ordinary man with a regular job who lives in a regular house with a regular family and regular pets and a regular car and a regular supermarket nearby and you go on regular holidays and you do lots of other regular stuff.

Topic if Formula One, I have put aside both Football and Rugby so they are aside. Do you enjoy watching cars going fast or just men cuddling in the mud. BTW I played wing ;)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:09 pm

I like Ayr Toon Centre as well. Canny go motor racing though.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:10 am

Well Sebastian Vettel won today and he's barely older the my stuble so I think a career may ensue, a good one at that I'm reminded of a young Michael Schumacher.....He was a cock but I'm only looking for talented drivers that make the sport exciting.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:25 am

I think this season has been great so far. The podiums have been full of teams outside the major ones.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Earlier this year.

Speed king Lewis makes city pit stop

Here's something you don't see in the company car park every day - speed king Lewis Hamilton taking a Formula One car for a spin.

But that's exactly what greeted workers at the Diageo bottling plant in Glasgow this morning.

The Formula One world champion made a pit stop at the Shieldhall factory to meet workers and endorse the firm's responsible drinking campaign.

As well as meeting staff and answering questions, the race ace showed why he's world champ as he took a Formula One car for a quick spin around the car park.

One of Diageo's biggest whisky brands, Johnny Walker are sponsors of Hamilton racing team, McLaren-Mercedes.

It's the second time in a week the racing driver has visited Glasgow. Earlier this week, the 23-year-old made a flying visit to watch girlfriend Nicole Scherzinger in action when the Pussycat Dolls played live at the SECC.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Aye, shame he chose to snub the home of Johnnie Walker. My bet is the JW Brand is about to do the same. Pop goes Kilmarnock, but then again who gives a shit?
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandpiper » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:02 pm

dave3009 wrote:Aye, shame he chose to snub the home of Johnnie Walker. My bet is the JW Brand is about to do the same. Pop goes Kilmarnock, but then again who gives a shit?

What's that particular hypothesis based on? As an employee of Diageo I give a shit.

BTW, I played outside centre.
Sandpiper
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:06 pm

This car won the Spannish Grand Prix in 1970, can be seen at the transport museum.

Jackie was at the Glasgow Caledonian uni a few months ago giving a lecture on F1.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Sandpiper wrote:
dave3009 wrote:Aye, shame he chose to snub the home of Johnnie Walker. My bet is the JW Brand is about to do the same. Pop goes Kilmarnock, but then again who gives a shit?

What's that particular hypothesis based on? As an employee of Diageo I give a shit.

BTW, I played outside centre.

Home of Johnnie Walker = Kilmarnock. Corproate Diageo has better placed bottling facilites such as Paisley or Glasgow I worked at Chivas in Paisley before what I do now, I know a few folk who work in the facility in Killie and they are shitting themselves.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Had good fortune to win seat at 2008 F1 at Silverstone. Was in a seat opposite pit lane and on start/finish straight. A prime seat to say the least!! Start of race was fantastic. Thereafter it was a procession of cars hammering down this straight which was really good to watch. Lewis Hamilton won the race. If memory serves it was 53 laps. I reckon I could actually see Hamilton for about 8 seconds every lap before he vanished from view. Fortunately, part of the prize was a Kangaroo TV which meant I could watch all the action on TV!!?? So there I was sat in one of the best seats in Silverstone watching the Grand Prix on a hand held TV.

It got me thinking about live sporting events. My question is this:

Name all the sporting events you can attend, but where you cannot see all the field of action or play?
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottland » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Restricted view seats at football stadiums.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions