Hiking near Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hiking near Glasgow?

Postby Reenie Bujman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:05 pm

I caught the bus to Eaglsham yesterday and walked up to Myres Hill where there's a wind turbine testing station:

Whitelee Wind Farm is behind it and stretches for about ten miles (or will do when it's finished) on the high ground to the south of East Kilbride. It's a vast wasteland up there and very strange walking through the turbines. I felt like I was in a computer game (like Half Life) except it wasn't so comfortable as sitting at the computer and the wind was blowing.

I wouldn't recommend going there on a week day. All this heavy plant moving around looks rather dangerous.

The main spine road has a compacted surface but has not been tarmacked. I found I could make good progress with minimal effort. I walked for seven hours non-stop and only felt tired after the last leg on the main road back to Eaglesham.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:28 pm

My cousin has a farm between Eaglesham and EK and the view is now spoiled by those big turbines, we now sit in the kitchen and look out over the orange glow of Glasgows lights. :(
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:49 pm

hazy wrote:...the view is now spoiled by those big turbines. :(

I agree. It's worse at Auldhouse. The whole hillside looks like a huge cactus on its side throwing a fit. It makes my eyes itch.

You'd have thought they'd make some "left-handed" ones to balance things out. They all spin in the same direction and I'm sure this combined angular momentum can't be good for the Earth's rotation.

It's been bothering my swede how they install the blades. Can't be like putting the prop on an Airfix Spitfire methinks. This gadget (named Eileen II, written in magic marker) has something to do with it.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby krakow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm

The ascent of Ben Lomond was successful and, despite the lack of views, it was a wonderful walk. It was great to get out of the city and Loch Lomond was really beautiful today.

I'd definitely love to climb it again on a clearer day and won't be so lazy at getting my camera out of my bag next time.
Crimson Glow Photography: http://www.crimsonglow.co.uk/
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 am

Reenie Bujman wrote:
hazy wrote:...the view is now spoiled by those big turbines. :(

It's been bothering my swede how they install the blades. Can't be like putting the prop on an Airfix Spitfire methinks. This gadget (named Eileen II, written in magic marker) has something to do with it.

I've worked on a few of these myself Reenie, the blade assembly is usually constructed entirely on the deck, inside the cradle frame in an 'upside down Y' formation, and the whole lot is lifted into situ by a mobile crane for fitting onto the drive shaft of the generator .
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gta15 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 pm

Don't forget the campsies!

Get the 175 from Buchanan bus station to Campsie Glen and head up the Glen then up the hills! Great views of Glasgow. On a clear day you can see the hills on Arron and Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh!

Some pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmcbride1109/2119367529/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmcbride1109/2189167500/

There's also an old railway path to strathblane from there you could walk and then get a bus from there?
gta15
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:21 pm

It was a glorious morning yesterday so I went for a walk in Calderglen. It was cold and windy on the way there, but the glen itself is sheltered.

Slideshow >>
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 pm

Enjoyed the slide - show Brigit - Thank you. :)
Do you have any background on this place?

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:48 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:Do you have any background on this place?

These are the remains of Calderwood Castle. I don't know much about it, but there is an article here >> that sheds some light on its history.

The site is located toward the northern (downstream) end of Calderglen. Access is via St. Leonard's Road, Alloway Road and Calderside Grove. The entrance to the glen is on the first bend in Calderside Grove. Turn right in the glen and proceed southwards.

"Site of Calderwood Castle"

The path eventually leads to Torrance House and Calderglen Country Park about two miles to the south. It is an invigorating walk. Wear hiking boots or wellies.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:22 am

Howdy,

Neilston's quite good. There's a fishing pond, Greenlaws?, which has a few hills around it. Head up James's Hill and on a clear day you can see Paddy's Milestone, Arran, and even the windfarm at Ardrossan.

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 am

BrigitDoon wrote:These are the remains of Calderwood Castle. I don't know much about it...

I found these at http://www.flickr.com/photos/craigneith/page4/

And would you believe it? There's evidently something in the water 'round here. :D

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Calderglen again, this time the photos were taken with the Sony Cybershot:

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:08 pm

I fancy an afternoon on some heather-clad hills before it gets too late in the year. Where's the nearest heather to Glasgow? Misty Law? Is there heather on the Campsies?
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Buttons Tripovic » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 am

I done a part of the West Highland Way yesterday (from Milngavie to Balmaha) as a bet from a friend I couldn't do it, was a good walk, a few nice views etc and was really quite despite it being a nice day yesterday. But I'd recommend taking something to eat/drink as it's quite long and by the time I got to Balmaha I was a complete wrech hehe. Oh and leave quite early, I started at 2pm and was running like a nutter for the last part to avoid getting lost in a forest in the dark, I'm a shitebag, I know.
"Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine."
Buttons Tripovic
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:07 am

That's quite a stroll...

I went that way last year and managed Milngavie to Dumgoyne before walking to Strathblane and then caught the bus home.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)