Past Present Vol 2

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby banjo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:03 pm

it looks about twice the size in black and white.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 am

The cars are just bigger these days :P

And I got the angle wrong :oops:
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:15 am

yoker brian wrote:
tobester wrote:Can i ask about the Girnin Gates in Garscadden...

Is part of it still visible from the railway line? I noticed yesterday an old building at the lineside between Scotstounhill and Garscadden, but not sure what it is as ive never seen it before, just caught a glimpse of it as the train sped thru on the way to Dalmuir.

I think I know which building your referring to Tobester, although if it's the one I'm thinking of, it would be on your left hand side as you travel between Yoker and Garscadden Station, just before the Hawick Street overbridge at the west end of Yoker Train Depot.

It's a small pump house I found the info here online, and I'm sure I have more info and possibly a photo somewhere on my old PC which I'll look out sometime soon

It may well have been connected with the Old Yoker Distillery which stood on the land now occupied by the Scottish Power Depot, it's not as far as I know linked to the Yoker Burn which is buried below the railway about 50/ 60 yards to the west of the building your mention in your post.

Cheers
Brian

Was browsing the net for stuff on the Yoker Burn (don't ask... work related!) when I came across this site and subject. Thought I'd sign up so I could comment further...

The building being referred to isn't a sewerage pumphouse (the Historic Scotland listed building report is accurate other than in regard to that point). It is sewerage related though - the building is called Yoker Castle and it is sited on the trunk sewer (Western Outfall Sewer - approx 2.1m diameter at this point if my memory serves me correct) between Partick Pumping Station (on the south side of Dumbarton Road, on the west bank of the River Kelvin - a hundred yards or so east of Partick Cross) and Dalmuir WwTW (sewage treatment works in Clydebank). It was built around 1902 and, like the sewer, is now owned by Scottish Water. I'm not doing it justice by saying this but the building is effectively a huge above-ground manhole chamber... you go into the building, up a flight of stairs (these are within the "turret" on the south-east corner of the building) and onto a sort of gantry that overlooks the channel of the sewer (which is open-topped within the building) - there is also access to an overflow arrangement that allows sewage flows to be spilled to the Yoker Burn culvert on the rare occasions when the sewer becomes surcharged during periods of prolonged intense rainfall. I've been in the building a couple of times over the years - it's quite impressive despite my rather unflattering "manhole chamber" description.

Anyone who has noticed the building might have also noticed there is an earth bund between the railway line and the houses to the north. The bund had to be built over the trunk sewer to protect it because the crown (top) of the sewer was above the surrounding ground levels at this point. The sewer is very flat in gradient along it's full length and while at some sections it is very deep underground (e.g. approx 14m at the junction of Crow Road and Clarence Drive), it is very shallow through Yoker and Clydebank.

I have some fantastic old drawings of the building and sewer layout at work - I'll try to scan them and post them up if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Steven
Last edited by Glesga_Steve on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:46 am

We're interested. Thanks for that, Steven.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:39 am

the book,both sides of the burn,a history of yoker is a great wee read.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:43 pm

A wee then in now of Barrhead road toll;

More to follow now my broken wrist is healing.

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:08 am

Anyone here care to present a present

received the tip off from Glasgow Guide Allhails has them on his Flickr site. Certainly press photographs.

I don't know whetehr robertpool had found this site previously as his link to a cheapside photo leads to a private set. but apologies if this has been posted before
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Synchro » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

tombro wrote:I went to St Sixtus' School (the main school on Kinfauns Drive and both of its annexes, one off Ledmore Drive Wher I started school, and the other on Airgold Drive opposite Camus Place Primary School) from early 1955 until leaving for Australia at the end of 1960.

I lived on Ledmore Drive, number 29, which I believe is boarded up now. I went to Langfaulds Primary School, which was the handiest school ever (as it was actually IN my square ::): )
"I'm a Noddy Newshound"
Synchro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:01 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Anyone here care to present a present

Roughly the same point on streetview
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:53 am

Synchro,

Can you tell me exactly where Langfaulds Primary School was ? I started in a St Sixtus annexe at the Linkwood Drive end of Ledmore Drive and also went to another annexe between Ledmore Drive and Airgold Drive roughly in the middle of both streets and opposite Camus Place School.

I vaguely remember the buildings opposite this small annexe being a school, too !

Can you enlighten me ?

Tombro :?
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby TheOutSider » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Camphill House in Queen's Park, Shawlands as it was in around 2009.

Camphill House in Queen's Park, Shawlands as it was in around 1904.

TheOutSider
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby TheOutSider » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:56 pm

This is an interesting photo as it shows the site of Shawlands Arcade in Kilmarnock Road long before it was built. There appear to be some building works in the distance, towards Shawlands Cross. This picture was taken I guess about 1910.

Here we have the present day monstrosity - Shawlands Arcade.

TheOutSider
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby TheOutSider » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:02 pm

This is Waverley Park, (High Shawlands) taken from one of the flats above Marios chip shop in the Pollokshaws Road(behind the Arcade), now a Chinese take away. I think it was taken in 1903 as one side of Ravenswood Drive has not been built yet. I haven't got a present day equivalent as I don't have access to the view!!

Last edited by TheOutSider on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOutSider
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby TheOutSider » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:10 pm

This picture of Kenilworth Avenue, Shawlands may be dated 1904 but it isn't clear. Apart from the rather large aeriel or flagpole in the distance it can't date it easily.

Here is a modern day equivalent from 2009. The trees get in the way a bit!

TheOutSider
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby TheOutSider » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Yet another side street in Shawlands. This time Grantly Gardens early in the 20th century. No high rise flats in sight then.

The 2009 equivalent for Grantly Gardens, Shawlands.

TheOutSider
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects