Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby busdriver » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Speaking of 57a's. Why do 3 of them always seem to end up in Berkeley Street at the same time?

This is the terminus for that service, the location gives the driver an opportunity to change the screens for either 57a (Priesthill/Darnley) or 57 (Darnley/South Nitshill) and resetting the wayfarer(Ticket Machine) for the new journey, they can also take the opportunity if time allows for a fag break or a quick slash (Usually hidden from view) and a wee blether with each other, before proceeding via Sauchiehall Street into service. :wink:
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:09 am

busdriver wrote:
Speaking of 57a's. Why do 3 of them always seem to end up in Berkeley Street at the same time?

This is the terminus for that service, the location gives the driver an opportunity to change the screens for either 57a (Priesthill/Darnley) or 57 (Darnley/South Nitshill) and resetting the wayfarer(Ticket Machine) for the new journey, they can also take the opportunity if time allows for a fag break or a quick slash (Usually hidden from view) and a wee blether with each other, before proceeding via Sauchiehall Street into service. :wink:

Whilst it's an ideal location for a quick slash - overlooked by a school - it doesn't explain why 3 of them end up there at the same time.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Did the 57 always terminate here? I thought it used to go up Woodlands Road.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby busdriver » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:25 pm

Rucola wrote:Did the 57 always terminate here? I thought it used to go up Woodlands Road.

If memory serves, it used to go along Woodlands Road then turn right into Park Road, Gt Western Road right into Queen Margaret Drive/Bilsland Drive and from there to Ruchill Terminus which then was in Curzon Street at the first stop after Leighton Street. This was upto around 2003 although I could be wrong about the date. The stop is still there but I dont think it is used as a terminus any more. I believe the First No 90/89 uses that route now.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=leighton+street,+glasgow&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.761835,27.817383&ie=UTF8&ll=55.89228,-4.286427&spn=0.011816,0.043473&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=55.891239,-4.283042&panoid=9dEJ5YlaUI7xsRkATLneNg&cbp=12,122.0115006237773,,0,10.952615992102661

The streetview link will show you the stop in question.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:37 pm

This driver must have been peed out of his head, this happend many years ago when the rd was open , young children died in the accident during the 80s i think if i can remember right .

ET

Double-decker bus smashes into bridge

Image Image

THIS was the dramatic scene after a double-decker bus smashed headlong into an accident-hit railway bridge.
A probe is under way after the First Bus vehicle, which had no passengers on board, crashed into the low bridge in Cook Street, Tradeston.
The roof of the bus was completely ripped off by the impact of the crash, which happened at around 2.35pm yesterday.
The driver was treated for shock at the scene while fire crews worked to make the vehicle safe.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby penguinmonkey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:26 pm

hmm interesting,
heard something about this on the radio yesterday didn't realise it was so spectacular though. Imagine being behind it
How exactly do you manage to forget you are driving a big fuck off bus??
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:51 pm

penguinmonkey wrote:How exactly do you manage to forget you are driving a big fuck off bus??

Maybe it didn't happen like that...

The sign on the bridge says "3.8m" which is clearly lower than the top of the bus.

The driver ducks, but the bus doesn't take the hint. :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:07 pm

o.....k right i get ye now, thanks for that Brigitdoon, i was thinking this was the bridge @ West st underground, which is why i thought it was closed to through traffic.

Must have been a new driver or an old driver gone senile.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:07 pm

I think it's hilarious that GSV show a police incident in exactly the same spot. Seems like some evidence for the driver, google street view can be a good thing in some cases
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:04 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:The sign on the bridge says "3.8m" which is clearly lower than the top of the bus.

As far as I can remember from my own bus driving days the height of a double decker bus is 14'6" so that's 2 ft above the maximum clearance under the bridge. No wonder the roof came right off. I wonder what the driver was doing in Cook St. anyway. If the bus was out of service he had presumably been told to take it somewhere [probably to another depot], but in my view you would always want to stick to a scheduled bus route wherever possible, primarily to avoid the risk of any unforeseen obstruction such as - in the case of a double decker - coming up against a low bridge.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:02 am

It begs the question...How many drivers actually know the height of the truck, cabin etc or even car drivers ? Me personally I couldn`t tell you the height of my car or works van :P
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:00 am

Mori wrote:This driver must have been peed out of his head, this happend many years ago when the rd was open , young children died in the accident during the 80s i think if i can remember right .

ET

Double-decker bus smashes into bridge

Image Image

THIS was the dramatic scene after a double-decker bus smashed headlong into an accident-hit railway bridge.
A probe is under way after the First Bus vehicle, which had no passengers on board, crashed into the low bridge in Cook Street, Tradeston.
The roof of the bus was completely ripped off by the impact of the crash, which happened at around 2.35pm yesterday.
The driver was treated for shock at the scene while fire crews worked to make the vehicle safe.

From Bloodbus
The driver had an accident in Rutherglen and was told to bring the bus back to the garage.... he obviously came via Cook St.

Speculation among some on there is he was shaken from the earlier incident and didn't notice the signs, I think this makes a lot of sense.

scaryman2u wrote:It begs the question...How many drivers actually know the height of the truck, cabin etc or even car drivers ? Me personally I couldn`t tell you the height of my car or works van :P

With buses it's posted in the cab.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Surfer Rosa wrote:Some people on the 57a don't wipe their bums properly...

Why not offer to wipe them rather than writing to an internet forum?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm

Herald

FirstGroup submits planning application for Glasgow depot

Transport giant FirstGroup has submitted plans for a new £25m bus depot and west of Scotland headquarters at Cathcart Road on the south side of Glasgow in a bid to raise passenger growth to target levels.
The new four-storey Gushetfaulds depot and headquarters will have space for 450 buses, 150 more than the existing full depot at nearby Larkfield on Victoria Road, which will be demolished and turned into flats if its successor depot gets planning approval.
Gushetfaulds, which was bought from the British Railways Board for £8.7m last August and is scheduled to open in three to four years' time, will also include a repair facility that will sit on the other side of the upcoming M74 motorway extension.
The move comes over five years after FirstGroup sold Larkfield to developer Park Lane for £9m and leased it back, having decided that the dilapidated depot was too small to warrant refurbishing it.
Ronnie Park, FirstGroup Glasgow deputy managing director, said the new depot would create the capacity to achieve FirstGroup's plan to grow passenger numbers at 4% per year for the next 10 years, as agreed with the Strathclyde Partnership for Transport in its stability and growth plan three years ago.
The recession has slashed passenger growth to 2.5% from 3% last year, but FirstGroup expects this to pick up as the city's east end is re-developed for the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and bus cleanliness is improved by the facilities at the new depot.
Park said: "We are going to need between 30 and 40 extra buses per year to achieve our 4% target. We can get some of that capacity by converting single-deck buses to double deck, but eventually we have got to put on extra buses."
Peter O'Connell, senior project manager in the property department, said: "One of the key objectives is to make sure that we are turning out buses that are cleaner and run better on a daily basis.
"We will have very expansive facilities for fuelling and washing the buses every day. This will in turn mean that buses are presented much more favourably to the public, since one of the key issues from the public is the fact that buses can sometimes not be very clean or pleasant."
Larkfield is the largest of FirstGroup's seven depots in Glasgow and the west. The others are at Parkhead, Scots- toun, Overton, Blantyre, Cumbernauld and Dumbarton, and four are already at full capacity.
The Gushetfaulds site, which has lain derelict for 20 years, aims to offer a more welcoming place for passenger visits and to bring Larkfield's 800 staff, depot managers and drivers together in the same building for the first time.
The total employee capacity of the two new buildings will be 1100, the majority of whom will be drivers.
A spokeswoman for FirstGroup said that the long delay between the leaseback and the Gushetfaulds application was because the site was not initially available.
Park Lane has previously said it plans for a £100m development of 10 blocks luxury flats, totalling 640 homes.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:08 am

Another bit of Glasgow history on the way out :(
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)