Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby macdonald » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Mick_D180 wrote:There was also a record shop and rehersal rooms at charing x The Complex owned by Russell barrie who said he was in the Cuban heels and Johnny and the self abusers,anyway i know that Sugar Sugar and Secession and the Primevals rehearsed there woodlands road i think as well as that reggae outfit from the west end (name escapes me) I have a Moroccan Coco single too a double a side given away with a fanzine sometime in the 80s.
The Rock Garden was a popular place too in queen street and i remember Sean Dickson worked in Flip the clothes shop across the road.

I don't think Russell Barrie was in either of those bands but he was in the Berlin Blondes. Anne-Marie Timoney the actor used to work in the Rock Garden.

Mickey Rooney from the Primevals used to work in 'wee Bloggs' in St Vincent St with Calum Cuthbertson of the Subs (Gimme Your Heart).
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ianw23 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 am

Mick_D180 wrote:There was also a record shop and rehersal rooms at charing x The Complex owned by Russell barrie who said he was in the Cuban heels and Johnny and the self abusers,anyway i know that Sugar Sugar and Secession and the Primevals rehearsed there woodlands road i think as well as that reggae outfit from the west end (name escapes me) I have a Moroccan Coco single too a double a side given away with a fanzine sometime in the 80s.
The Rock Garden was a popular place too in queen street and i remember Sean Dickson worked in Flip the clothes shop across the road.

Sean did indeed work in flip, and in the very early days of the Soup Dragons, rehearsed at the rooms in charing cross, amazing eh? I once bought a hand made Dead Neighbours (grangemouths finest psychobilly band) t-shirt from that shop. They eventually became Lowlife. I'm still in touch with Charlie from Seccesion, a great underrated band in my humble opinion. I didnt realise Rockers Almighty actually had a real band! I thought they just spray painted graffiti around Woodlands Road and hung about maestros, looking good, :wink:
ianw23
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jiggyslassie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:59 pm

I went to Glasgow tech with stephen pastel, at that time I never knew he was a pop star! me n my boyfriend used to call him the '' big boy anarchist'' he used to carry a message bag a la roy cropper! we thought he carried a big cartoon bomb around in it, v topical these days, he was a nice guy, shared a love of 60s films. I s'pose he's abit of a cult figure nowadays.
jiggyslassie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm

jiggyslassie wrote:I went to Glasgow tech with stephen pastel,he was a nice guy, shared a love of 60s films. I s'pose he's abit of a cult figure nowadays.

He's a shop assistant in Monorail and a part time usher at the GFT when Monorail show films

Film Fans click here
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby steelydel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Oh! and i tried to persuade a lassie called Debbie Matthews to sing in a band with me...but she didny want to. Great voice if i mind right.....now that wis 25 years ago!!!!!
feck!
This wans fae yer auld da.....
steelydel
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby TheWindieMinger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:52 am

Hello everyone! I have been meaning to join up here for a good while and never quite got round to it.

Anyway ...

Anyone remember the punky types who used to hang about outside Virgin in Union St? Far better than the GOMA I must say! And a lot less miserable looking ...
Me and my mates had occasion to hang about there back in the early to mid 80's.
One Saturday afternoon we were walking along Argyle Street and one of the boys spotted Bobby Gillespie on the other side of the street.
(Bobby was still drummer in the Jesus and Mary Chain at the time and had just appeared on The Whistle Test a couple of days before.)
So, my mate shouted 'Look! There's Bobby Gillespie!' Gillespie, minding his own business, was startled and looked across the street at us.
His surprise soon turned to panic for some reason and he started running as fast as he could towards the junction with Union Street. So, without hesitation we all tore after him as fast as we could. We were all killing ourselves laughing shouting 'Bobby we only want to talk to you!'
'Luckily' for Bobby one of the old blue and yellow Kelvin buses was just pulling away from a stop and he somehow managed to grab the pole and haul himself onto the bus. He didn't look back. The bus accelerated through the lights and on under the Heilan Man's Umbrella. We never saw him again after that.
With these exertions under our studded belts we made our way to Hurricanes (anyone remember that boozer?) for a few well deserved pints of snakebite.
TheWindieMinger
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ianw23 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:55 am

TheWindieMinger wrote:snip..........we made our way to Hurricanes (anyone remember that boozer?) for a few well deserved pints of snakebite.

Hurricanes!!!!!....I used to go there, but where was it? A place I'd completely forgotten about.
ianw23
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:11 pm

ianw23 wrote:
TheWindieMinger wrote:snip..........we made our way to Hurricanes (anyone remember that boozer?) for a few well deserved pints of snakebite.

Hurricanes!!!!!....I used to go there, but where was it? A place I'd completely forgotten about.

West Regent Street, now Bar BIA.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mick_D180 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:14 am

Hurricanes wow had forgot about that place , Glasgows music mafia and all the old queens that were there too, used to go there before maestros on a sunday night , seem to remember a lot of people drinking pernod for some reason.
Mick_D180
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:57 am

Mick_D180 wrote:Hurricanes wow had forgot about that place , Glasgows music mafia and all the old queens that were there too, used to go there before maestros on a sunday night , seem to remember a lot of people drinking pernod for some reason.

It made the Blackcurrant taste nicer.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TheWindieMinger » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:03 am

Mick_D180 wrote:Hurricanes wow had forgot about that place , Glasgows music mafia and all the old queens that were there too, used to go there before maestros on a sunday night , seem to remember a lot of people drinking pernod for some reason.

I was only ever in on Saturday afternoons and remember that Pernod was popular then too. Usually mixed with snakebite in a potion that was known as a Diesel if I remember correctly. Christ! The very thought!
TheWindieMinger
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby TheWindieMinger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:44 am

Does anyone remember a pub/venue called La Taniere on Fox Street? Used to go there on a Friday night to see Big George and the Business. One night we turned up and no Big George they'd cancelled for some reason and were replaced by the rather interestingly named Philanderer's Tricycle. Don't remember much about the music they played but the name has obviously stuck! Never saw them again. Does anyone know who they were or where they came from?
TheWindieMinger
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JayKay » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 am

ianw23 wrote:

Aye, another former Hurricanes Saturday afternoon resident myself back in the olden days.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:33 am

Some photos I posted elsewhere on this website, including the Cuban Heels in the Rock Garden:-

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6483
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:59 am

Howdy,

John Mayhew, the man replaced in Genesis by Phil Collins, sadly died last week. He'd been living in Govan for the last 6 years. RIP.

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects