Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost record shops of Glasgow

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:24 am

Not lost yet and a good way to get rid of yer auld video tape you don't need anymore.
i've a collection of about 40 videos i'll be taking down to exchange for somethin. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 am

Mori wrote:Not lost yet and a good way to get rid of yer auld video tape you don't need anymore.
i've a collection of about 40 videos i'll be taking down to exchange for somethin. 8)

You'll do well to get anything for the videos. I've seen charity shops 'selling' them at 5 for a £.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jiggyslassie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Well for me it has to be the emporium that was Listen, every Saturday I used to go and browse the records upstairs and then go downstairs to look at the posters, badges and t shirts, the guys that worked in there [ there were no women employees I can remember ] were really '' cool '' kind of Lebowski type dudes. There'll never be anything like it again, sanitised malls and Asda with homogenous rock for sale, even the carrier bags were magic, '' cheap n nasty '' Oh! and you could buy freak brothers comics too, I loved those.
jiggyslassie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby johnnyanglia » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Roxburgh wrote:Looks like a Ford Consul on the pic.

It certainly is(produced between 1956-62) and a Thames 300E in front of it and a Thames 400E van on the Main Street.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:27 pm

jiggyslassie wrote:Well for me it has to be the emporium that was Listen, every Saturday I used to go and browse the records upstairs and then go downstairs to look at the posters, badges and t shirts, the guys that worked in there [ there were no women employees I can remember ] were really '' cool '' kind of Lebowski type dudes. There'll never be anything like it again, sanitised malls and Asda with homogenous rock for sale, even the carrier bags were magic, '' cheap n nasty '' Oh! and you could buy freak brothers comics too, I loved those.

Nobody cool worked in Listen. Thick, prejudiced and snobby -Yes. But I supposed they smelled good to you.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Dex, old bean, do you think I'd get more than the value of the CD cover for that Shalamar greatest hits?

I could sharpen it and fit it to the strimmer, but I think it really needs another tour of duty to annoy some other poor random bugger.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 am

Felonious would take it but I think he's got all of them on 12" vinyl. He was a big fan of SOLAR records and how could he resist with The Whispers, Dynasty, Carrie Lucas, Lakeside and Klymaxx. Shalamar was basically Howard Hewett and two dancers from Soul train but what a sound. Maybe it just sound better in a club so dim the lights, turn up the stereo tweak the bass and break out the Malibu and enjoy Shalamar once again.

Then again the panopticon shop in High Street will take it off your hands.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 am

I think it drifted into my collection when the boogie crowd from the mid-nineties split and settled down. There were many discs that used to crop up every weekend and we were never sure who owned what or who was looking after it.

There's a D-Influence CD in there as well.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:09 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Nobody cool worked in Listen. Thick, prejudiced and snobby -Yes.

And, indeed, that was one of the main reasons why the Virgin Megastore wiped away Listen, Bloggs and Wee Bloggs (can't remember if it was named that officially, but I never heard it called anything else). People who wanted to buy unfashionable records without being sneered at or having the record flung on the counter in front of them were prepared to pay 50% more (I remember being bemused by the fact that records on the Virgin record label were six quid in Virgin and four quid elsewhere) to do so in the Virgin shop.

If you had slightly, er, esoteric tastes, then Wee Bloggs in particular was brilliant. If there were 200 copies pressed of a single, then you could virtually guarantee that they would get at least a couple in. Volcanic Tongue in Argyle Street performs a similar function these days.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jiggyslassie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:45 am

In Listen the men did smell mostly of patchouli oil! an aquired pong. As for being thick etc, I never asked them for their exam results whilst they sold me records.
jiggyslassie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rabmania » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:43 pm

by jiggyslassie on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:45 am

In Listen the men did smell mostly of patchouli oil! an aquired pong. As for being thick etc, I never asked them for their exam results whilst they sold me records.

One poor chap certainly was thick. Others were definitely musical snobs, which has its place I suppose, but not in a shop! Most were bright, clever and talented (now surgeons, lecturers, musicians, teachers). I count myself as one of the middling notstupid, but probably musicallysnobbish (I was young and foolish).

I remember we had to campaign to get the owners to stock Roxy Music's first album (Virginia Plain was a hit single, so in the Listen logic that made them too 'poppy'). Ditto 10cc. Nuts ain't the word for it.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:29 pm

Shame about Lost In Music but the fact that I just learned that its no longer in business by reading this thread perhaps tells you something.

I don't think it was so much internet downloading that puts shops like Lost In Music out of business, more things like e-Bay and Amazon Market place.

Why trail round 2nd hand shops looking for a specific album that you aren't even guaranteed to find when you can get it easily on the internet and delivered to your door?

Funny how things change. I remember one of the guys from Missing telling me that there was no money in new CDs anymore which is why they closed the big shop down by the Waterloo Bar and switched to 2nd hand only. Now surely its swung the other way again, especially with the price of back catalogue albums at places like Fopp.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 am

I was in Fopp yesterday and spent £20 on three or four albums passing by stuff that if it had been that cheap 5 years ago I would have snapped up. I have a full priced Byrds box set but teh 4 D for £15 was tempting mainly on the price. Fopp snapped up the Pinnacle warehouse stock and that's being sold off. Franz Ferdinand's new album I saw going for £8 a few weeeks after release.

I think we're heading for a singles market mentality only it will be downloads.

I bought some MP3s from Amazon advertised at 256Kbps but after sticking them into Adobe Audition they came up respectively as 78, 150, 202 and 256. When i pointed this out to Amazon that's not what they advertised I got a refund. They explained they used variable Bit rates for the MP3s.

i then bought the same tracks from HMV online and they were all 320kbps at constant Bit rate.

HMV now own Fopp and have changed the Zavi store in Buchanan Street to an HMV outlet. I wonder what their strategy is.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:19 am

variable Bit rates are more efficient than constant ones, why have all those bits of silence at the beginning and end of songs recorded at 320kbps when it's unnecessarily using up diskspace?
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby frenchbloke » Tue May 12, 2009 2:30 pm

couldn't find any trace of it but there was the rather splendid AK Sounds in the Savoy Centre that took over when A1 went on to be Fopp. They had a fine second-hand section.

there was also the shop whose name escapes me up near STV in Cowcaddens that had Stuart Whatsisname from Belle and Sebastian behind the counter.

Best still was the numerous stalls at the Barras, one of which went on to be Missing Records. Or at least, staffed by the same blokes, one of which used to work in HMV in Union St.

There was a shop in the Argyll St market or whatever it was called mostly second hand or freshly nicked the night before.
frenchbloke
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects