Old Medals

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Old Medals

Postby Peekay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Peekay wrote:
DMcNay wrote:Can you post a pic of the other side of the Queen Victoria one? I'd be interested to know what that one is.

I think the Queen Vic one is missing the bar. I'll hazard a guess at India or Crimea, vague Afghanistan. As the guy said Pete if you give the details round the side of them there's a few of us can find out why and when

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I will probably keep this lot and have them re-ribboned. The large cross is I think a catholic medal . It is inscribed Via Crucis Via Lucis. They are not all for one soldier . There are several different names on the ones inscribed. Star campaign medals ae not inscribed. The Victoria one has Egypt the Sphinx on back but this can cover seveal things.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Let me know the names on the medals, I have a few sources I can look up for you.

The Egypt Medal had two issues - the first had the date 1882 underneath the Sphinx. The second issue dates from 1885/5.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:25 pm

Both sides of Victroia campaign medal
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:29 am

It must be old .... the sphinx still has her nose :mrgreen:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 am

DMcNay wrote:Let me know the names on the medals, I have a few sources I can look up for you.

The Egypt Medal had two issues - the first had the date 1882 underneath the Sphinx. The second issue dates from 1885/5.

Are you sure? On Victorian coinage, the "old head" would have been after 1892. I appreciate this is a medal and not a coin but I doubt that they would have used an "old head" 7 years before it appears on the coinage.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 am

Roxburgh wrote:
DMcNay wrote:Let me know the names on the medals, I have a few sources I can look up for you.

Are you sure? On Victorian coinage, the "old head" would have been after 1892. I appreciate this is a medal and not a coin but I doubt that they would have used an "old head" 7 years before it appears on the coinage.

I was nearly right. The medal dates from between 1882 and 1889.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britis ... t_1882.htm
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 am

On their own, medals often have limited value, however for collectors often the interest is related to the group, if they can be shown to have been issued to a single individual whose has an interesting history (ie they died in service) or to a specific regiment this can greatly increase their value.

Given the spread you have there, I doubt if they were all issued to the same person (in fact the 2nd WW campaign stars were never named) but if you can group any of them, that may be of interest to someone. I can't read the names on all the stars but always look out for the aircrews Europe star which normally commands a hefty premium
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 pm

If you give me the name and number that is on the back of the 1914-1915 Star, I will do a look up on Ancestry and give you the detail from the medal card and, possibly, more from the service and/or pension records (these latter are incomplete thanks the the Luftwaffe bombing the warehouse they were in during WW2).
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects