Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby floweredpig » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:53 pm

The actor Brian Pettifer,Rab C. Nesbitts wee pal,has a sister called Linda who married Richard Thompson and became one half of folk rocks most dynamic duo.Possessor of an amazing voice and a great songwriter on her own account.Mother of country/folk troubadour Teddy Thompson.
As an aside Brian was the last man to act on screen or indeed anywhere with Peter Sellers in a Barclays commercial in 1980.
As another aside i saw him in Morrisons Crossmyloof this morning.Plain loaf,cooked chicken and a Glasgow Herald in case you are wondering.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:15 pm

my first memory of brian was in the r a f sitcom ,get some in.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby theplumber » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:22 pm

I spotted Brian,a good few years ago in the Anderson Cross Centre...there was a short lived Antique market on there at the weekends....he had a stall there.......resting between jobs luvy!
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bellahoustonbelle » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Bob Marley and the Wailers playing football in Kelvingrove park.
1970-something, played was it the Apollo?... heard about his on local radio and just picturing it....
bellahoustonbelle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:15 am

With Thanks to the world's worst web site Apollo memories

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jamierourke » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Fossil wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:What about Orange Juice were they not part of a indi record label that was based in Glasgow?

Yes - Postcard Records was the label.

What we need now is the location/address and other bands on the label
postcard label very early eighties,orange juice,josef k,aztec camera,oh yes those were the days!
jamierourke
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jamierourke » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:08 pm

Doorstop wrote:What about the now defunct Oasis? .. now one of the many iterations of 'Bar Bhudda'.

I leathered Marti Pellow for refusing to stop puffing dope in the Big 'O' once .. *true story*
ooh you sound dead ''scary''! :roll:
jamierourke
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jamierourke » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:10 pm

the ultimate glasgow rock legend that was ......THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND! did anyone ever see them in the appollo in the early 70s? VAMBO MARBLE EYE!
jamierourke
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dimairt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Searching the Scran site last week when I came across photos of two unidentified folk-singers. A quick double -take and a clean of my specs confirmed that it was a very early pic of Clive Palmer and Robin Williamson playing at the folk club in the Crown Bar, Lothian St.
http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... chdb=scran
http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... chdb=scran
If you haven't a subscription to Scran, pop into the Mitchell, it's free from there. So everything's fine right now.

Le dùrachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby steelydel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi...just joined. This site and this thread especially is brilliant! I only typed in Kick Reaction and all these magic posts all popped up. Ive spent the past hour reading them all. Just a quick post and i'm away to bed. I played in a band with Kick Reactions bass player Stuart Macarthur before Peter Lyons joined. It was my mate Craig Benton's sister who introduced me to Pete and we played him our demo to which he proclaimed it "the sound of Young Scotland"! A meeting was set up and we all trouped round to Pete's house for a meet. He proceeded to play a selection of his songs (Millionaire, Steam Radio) on his guitar. Absolute magic! Guy was a genius. As we needed a singer, he was asked to fill that position but he politely declined as he wanted to get his own band, The Usherettes (what a name!) off the ground. We plodded on for a couple of months but i got a place at Motherwell College and couldny afford to upgrade my guitar and amp so i dropped out.....Peter joined a few weeks after that, Jim Mitchell became their manager and enter Moroccan Coco!. Released Steam Radio as a single on their own label then changed a bit to become Kick Reaction. Should've been contenders! Pete was a brilliant songwriter and if Elliot Davies hadn't plowed all his time into WetWetWet then it may have been a different story. I've got the Steam Radio single and the Kick Reaction 12" of Stopping to Speak. When i can be bothered, i'll post some scans onto this thread.
This wans fae yer auld da.....
steelydel
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mick_D180 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:34 am

there were a lot of great characters in the mid 80 s at Splash and nitemoves , remember 3 guys who always used to go about together Barrat, Robert and Richie, they hung about with Stevie Stanway i think from ProjectGKand i think they all worked in Virgin though one of them worked in A1 .
They seemed to spend every night at gigs and then kicking bins over and eating kebabs.
Every gig i was at they were there and always really pissed. They had a fanzine too whose name escapes me where they basically slagged off anyone who was anyone on the Glasgow music scene.
Wonder what happened to them.
Mick_D180
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mick_D180 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:58 am

There was also a record shop and rehersal rooms at charing x The Complex owned by Russell barrie who said he was in the Cuban heels and Johnny and the self abusers,anyway i know that Sugar Sugar and Secession and the Primevals rehearsed there woodlands road i think as well as that reggae outfit from the west end (name escapes me) I have a Moroccan Coco single too a double a side given away with a fanzine sometime in the 80s.
The Rock Garden was a popular place too in queen street and i remember Sean Dickson worked in Flip the clothes shop across the road.
Mick_D180
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mick_D180 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Just remembered Rockers almighty was the name of the reggae ban who rehearsed there, bit of trivia too the lead singer of Sugar Sugar was in a relationship with the coloured guy from the garage in crossroads.
Mick_D180
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Mick_D180 wrote:Just remembered Rockers almighty was the name of the reggae ban who rehearsed there, bit of trivia too the lead singer of Sugar Sugar was in a relationship with the coloured guy from the garage in crossroads.

Sure this was the eighties? Sounds more like the fifties.

Charing Cross
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:00 pm

Mick_D180 wrote:Just remembered Rockers almighty was the name of the reggae ban who rehearsed there, bit of trivia too the lead singer of Sugar Sugar was in a relationship with the coloured guy from the garage in crossroads.
I must remember to contact the local Bed & Breakfasts to make sure they put a sign up in their windows.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects