beatles in glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: beatles in glasgow

Postby gap74 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:45 am

From our database:

Gaiety 625, Argyle Street Glasgow CJ McNair Demolished
o. 19.12.09 in old variety theatre. By JJ Bennell. seating 2,000. Sold to Anderston P&V Ltd, 7.28. Renovated, 4.35. Arch. CJ McNair. seating 1,403. Used as Glasgow Concert Hall from 29.1.63. Cl, dem. 7.68.

There's a Tivoli Theatre marked on a 1912 map of the area which is roughly opposite where the pedestrian bridge to nowhere spirals down on the western side of the M8. I'm guessing that was it.

STV in the mid-60s still had their studios in the Theatre Royal. The Beatles are recorded in Graeme Smith's recent book about the theatre as appearing three times during 1962 in the Paul Young/Morag Hood programme "Round Up".

I had a list I made up somewhere of all their Scottish gigs, due to the fact that most were in cinemas. Damned if I can find it now though!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Right, I'll collate it again, am very open to corrections....

Scottish Beatles Tour Dates

Jan 3rd - Two Red Shoes, ELGIN
Jan 4th - Town Hall, DINGWALL
Jan 5th - Museum Hall, BRIDGE OF ALLAN
Jan 6th - Beach Ballroom, ABERDEEN
Jun 7th - Odeon, GLASGOW (with Roy Orbison)
Oct 5th -Concert Hall, GLASGOW
Oct 6th - Carlton Cinema, KIRKCALDY
Oct 7th - Caird Hall, DUNDEE

Apr 29th - ABC Cinema, MIDLOTHIAN (I'm guessing this is the ABC Lothian Rd, Edinburgh)
Apr 30th - Odeon, GLASGOW
Oct 19th - ABC Cinema, EDINBURGH
Oct 20th - Caird Hall, DUNDEE
Oct 21st - Odeon, GLASGOW

Dec 3rd - Odeon, GLASGOW
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 am

Hey there's a guy here read a book and thinks nobody went outside the city centre to catch a gig.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:28 am

OK Dex, we caught your disdain the first time...

FYI Hambone: Perceptions of what constituted the city centre were different before the M8 created its artificial boundary. For example there were department stores at St. Georges Cross.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:26 pm

In case anybody reading this was as confused as me, it seems the '63 tour began with the Beatles supporting Roy Orbison, but later on (i.e. once they reached Glasgow) they swapped about, seeing as the Fab Four were, well, Fab. (This is according to Wikipedia, but it's usually fairly reliable unless it's something contentious, which I'm fairly sure this isn't. Well, relatively.)

By the way, fab foto HH. It's like some bizarre Beatles/M8/J.M.W.Turner confluence...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Peetabix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 am

I'll ask the in-laws again regarding the Orbison/Bealtes headliners but I'm pretty sure they said O was top bill that night.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 am

It would be intersting to hear what they remember. It certainly was Roy as headliner when the tour set off. Check page 71 of The Beatles: A diary . The tour started on May 18th and according to authors Barry Miles and Chris Charlesworth "and initially heading the bill but rapidly demoted to second spot, Roy Orbison"

As noted above the tour hit Glasgow on June 7th.

Roy Orbison was huge in Glasgow and older contributors may recall family dos when an uncle with a thinning quiff would mangle In Dreams, Running Scared or some other semi operatic ballad made famous by Roy.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:59 pm

Howdy,

I think The Big O graciously demoted himself because the mania for the Fab Four was underway. This would be after Please Please Me and From Me To You but prior to She Loves You. I think. I watched an Orbison documentary recently and he mentioned it. That was a great night - 18 cans of Tennents for eight quid, an Orbison documentary and two concerts.

DSC's bit about the quiff haired uncle is bang on. One of my uncle's had the quiff, the tremolo and the prescription dark glasses. In saying that, I don't know if he was hitting the high notes or his hearing aid was whistling. :D

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby morticia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 pm

great photos and memories there, the lassies with their rollers is hysterical.. I saw the Stones in a hotel near Hamilton , it was bit of a dump if I remember and they d let more than double in as there were loads of forged tickets.. the photo was in the middle of the Daily Record the next day.
morticia
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cammy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:35 pm

I was at the concert in the concert hall and it was definately in Finneston .I know Iam getting on a bit but its not the kind of thing you forget and dementia has not set in yet ::):
After the concert the name was changed to something else and amateur boxing international matches took place there
I have just remembered it was called the Kelvin sports arena :)
cammy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Peetabix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm

morticia wrote:great photos and memories there, the lassies with their rollers is hysterical.. I saw the Stones in a hotel near Hamilton , it was bit of a dump if I remember and they d let more than double in as there were loads of forged tickets.. the photo was in the middle of the Daily Record the next day.

My maw was at that too. It was in The Chantinghall Hotel. Are you my Maw? :D

It is the Maw. You really should warn me about this kind of thing.
Last edited by Peetabix on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beatleken » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:44 pm

The Beatles in Scotland is a cracking book. Some of the pictures are brilliant. The Glasgow stuff is really interesting. It's been pretty well researched and there's a lot of new bits and pieces in there. I hear the guy work for the Evening Times. Fair play, he's done his homework.
Beatleken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby red_kola » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:20 pm

Peetabix wrote:My maw was at that too. It was in The Chantinghall Hotel. Are you my Maw? :D

It is the Maw. You really should warn me about this kind of thing.

Hahahaha. Classic ::):
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm

I don't know where to begin with this one. The tour with Chris Montez and Tommy Roe as headliners had the running order changed to put the Fabs at the top of the bill; Roy Orbison - great though he was - was always suppport to the Beatles on a later tour.
The Gaiety and the venue that became Creme de la Creme are not the same: the Gaiety was demolished in the 1960s while the later was demolished fairly recently. Cammy, sorry but it was not the Kelvin Sport s Arena. ~It must have been great seeing the Beatles at that point though, I'm jealous.
As to the notion that concerts only took place in the city centre - well pish! I offer the following as evidence: Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent at the Kelvin Hall. Try a google on the Kinks at the Kelvin Hall. Copyright prevents me from posting pics of Marty Wilde and The Wildecats at Springburn Bourough Halls and Bill Haley and his Comets at the Barrowlands.

In order then, fire at St Andrew's Halls 1962; ticket stub from Jerry Lee Gig; photo of Gaiety as Concert Hall; Interior of Gaiety as Concert Hall.
http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... chdb=scran
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cammy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm

dimairt wrote:I don't know where to begin with this one. The tour with Chris Montez and Tommy Roe as headliners had the running order changed to put the Fabs at the top of the bill; Roy Orbison - great though he was - was always suppport to the Beatles on a later tour.
The Gaiety and the venue that became Creme de la Creme are not the same: the Gaiety was demolished in the 1960s while the later was demolished fairly recently. Cammy, sorry but it was not the Kelvin Sport s Arena. ~It must have been great seeing the Beatles at that point though, I'm jealous.
As to the notion that concerts only took place in the city centre - well pish! I offer the following as evidence: Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent at the Kelvin Hall. Try a google on the Kinks at the Kelvin Hall. Copyright prevents me from posting pics of Marty Wilde and The Wildecats at Springburn Bourough Halls and Bill Haley and his Comets at the Barrowlands.

In order then, fire at St Andrew's Halls 1962; ticket stub from Jerry Lee Gig; photo of Gaiety as Concert Hall; Interior of Gaiety as Concert Hall.
http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... chdb=scran

Dimairt
Ta for the photo you are right that was the place.
You must remember it was 46 years ago
When I think of all the tickets and progs etc I had what would they be worth now
But married for 38 years and umpteen flittings later who knows where they are!!!!
btw just to make you feel worse I saw them 4 times :)
cammy
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)