beatles in glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

beatles in glasgow

Postby hambone » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:29 pm

reading great book Beatles in Scotland .Mentions the odeon concerts I know where that is , but where was the glasgow concert hall they played in 1963? Any photos of it, or what is on the site now?I think reading the book it may have been near charing x.Would love to read anyones memories of the fab4 or indeed any bands that played glasgow.As I ve just joined hg Ihope Im not going over old ground
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: beatles in glasgow

Postby Peetabix » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:07 pm

It was The Odeon on Renfield Street. My in-laws were at it. I think Roy Orbison topped the bill.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:30 pm

The Beatles appeared at St. Andrew's hall.

Find out more about the hall here

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSD00269

Ken McNab's book owes a huge debt to the research carried out by the BBC for a radio programme on the Beatles in scotland
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Following the link, that was an impressive building. It says it burned down in 1962 though?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:43 pm

While taking time out from checking the calibration of my sarcasm detector, it seems they played at the Odeon supporting Orbison on the 7th of June 1963, and returned on what I assume was their own headlining tour on the 5th of October of the same year:
BEATLES MINI-TOUR OF SCOTLAND, 1963
5 October Concert Hall, Glasgow
6 October Carlton, Kirkcaldy
7 October Caird Hall, Dundee

Which begs the question, what was 'Concert Hall' if St Andrew's Hall 'went on fire' the year before?

(This is according to http://www.dermon.com/beatles/details/tours.htm by the way.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks lucky poet. The St. Andrews halls did burn down in 1962 and the Beatles did as the above poster said played its temporary replacement the Concert Hall on the 5th October 1963. It was previously known as the Gaiety Cinema at 625, Argyle Street. It was demolished in 1968 for the Motorway.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cammy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:55 pm

The Glasgow concert hall was not demolished in 1968 ,it was still there until recently in argyle st in the guise of yon big indian restuarant ,cant remember the name
I know cos I was there and it was a strange feeling sitting having a meal where the balcony was .
they used to have boxing events there as well
cammy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Creme De La Creme Restaurant. lovely place . It was a night club and possibly Bingo hall. Lulu played a week there.
Used to be the Kelvin Sports Arena home to boxing and wrestling and previously the Kelvin cinema But it was 1073 Argyle Street and in Finnieston not Anderston.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cammy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 am

thanks Dexter :o
cammy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby well skelpt coupon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Howdy,

Don't forget Cowcaddens. I'm fairly sure an early Beatles appearance was recorded at the old STV studios.

Incidentally fact fans, John and Yoko were almost killed in a car crash in Wick.

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:59 pm

See link to SCRAN with short clip of the Fabs arriving at STV studios in Hope St. If my memory serves me well, the footage of this interview with Paul Young and Morag Hood (swoon) was uncovered only last year.
Dexter is right about the temporary use of the former cinema as a replacement for the St Andrew's Halls: the Beatles played there and it was home to the SNO. The second link is to the Kent Rd website. Cammy, the Gaiety was not Creme de la Creme: the Gaiety was demolished in the 60s; Creme was demolished on;ly recently.
The Beatles topped the bill over the Big O and according to George Harrison - confirmed in "Shout" by Philip Norman - they stood watching from the wings, worried that they wouldn't be able to follow him. They managed.

Le dùrachd,
Eddy
http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... chdb=scran

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... d%26sa%3DN
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hambone » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:40 pm

not sure if any these answers are right ,in the book guy says hes getting all excited walking up sauchiehall st towards concert hall ,I reckon it must have been where char x motorway is now ,not as far along as creme de la creme, more city centre I think,cant imagine going outside city centre for gig in those days
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:40 pm

The fab four pass under the Kingston Bridge during the Glasgow leg of their 1969 tour:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garybirnie/

:D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 pm

hambone wrote:not sure if any these answers are right ,in the book guy says hes getting all excited walking up sauchiehall st towards concert hall ,I reckon it must have been where char x motorway is now ,not as far along as creme de la creme, more city centre I think,cant imagine going outside city centre for gig in those days

Let's see. Roy Orbison supported The Beatles at The Odeon.

The Beatles played the Glasgow Concert hall in 1963.

The Glasgow Concert hall was previously the Gaiety Cinema.

The Gaiety Cinema was demolished to make way for the motorway.

A boy walked up Sauchiehall Street to see the Beatles at the Glasgow Concert Hall.

What's not right, Sherlock?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:41 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)