BrigitDoon's Bomb Shelter

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: BrigitDoon's Bomb Shelter

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 pm

RANT: :evil:

If you live in Leicester, grab what you can and get the fuck out of town. I'm coming to bomb the shit out of the monkeyfuckers at the GRP for fucking me around.

Grrrrrrr. :evil:

RANT_ENDS:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:10 pm

Justin King
Chief Executive
J Sainsbury plc

18th February 2009

Dear Justin

This evening I visited your supermarket at Kingsgate in Nerston on the edge of East Kilbride. I espied a shelf of Kumala rosé wine exposed for sale at £3.99 per bottle. It was in that part of the shop where wine is usually offered at a discounted price. A sign assured me that it had been reduced from £7.99 and whilst strictly not mathematically correct, I will allow that the boast of "1/2 price" was a good approximation.

I placed a bottle of this enjoyable wine in my basket, selected a few further items and proceed to the checkout. I was surprised to be asked for a sum somewhat in excess of that which I was expecting.

I queried the polite young gentleman who was operating the checkout and he showed me that the Kumala had been processed at £7.99. He kindly directed me to the customer services desk where the equally polite security guard enquired of me "can I help you, love."

"Perhaps you can", I replied and explained that I had been charged £7.99 for an item offered at £3.99. He took the bottle away to make further enquiries and returned some time later with an apologetic look and reaffirmed the view that £7.99 was indeed the correct price for the wine.

I was rather crestfallen, I must confess. I enjoy shopping in this particular store because the staff are so friendly. The thought of having to rearrange my household budget to the tune of £4.00 weighed on my mind for a while as I walked home.

Having arrived home I placed the valuable Kumala in the fridge and sat at the computer to check my bank balance. I was relieved to find that I had not been inconvenienced to the extent that I had feared. Certainly, the £4.00 overweight transaction awaits clearance, but the happy state of my balance shows me that I can actually afford these extravagances.

Suitably encouraged, I have instructed Harris to visit Bentley Glasgow in Hamilton and trade the S-class. We have cancelled our engagements for Tuesday so that we may pay a visit to Mr Al-Fayed's establishment in Knightsbridge.

Harris agrees that Mr Al-Fayed's racing green will be more appropriate to our new bolide rather than the "sudden" colour of your own shopping bags.

I do hope that none of my erstwhile fellow customers at Kingsgate happen upon similar serendipitous discovery. One would hate to be crowded in the rush to London's West End and the loss of any number of customers who spend £200 per month might tempt you to consider your staffing levels there. They are wonderful people and a credit to your organisation even if they are not so adept at keeping pricing consistent between display and database.

Yours sincerely

Brigit Doon
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:15 pm

It may be one of those common misconceptions, but I was always under the impression that the advertised shelf price was the maximum that you were liable to pay.

Certainly, I've had a refund from Asda two or three times on that basis.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Urban myth, so I'm told, and those who refund have a good handle on customer service.

It has, I believe, something to with the older practice of grocers putting wee sticky price labels on items which unscrupulous customers would then swap around for their convenience.

The situation deserves a review. I was led to believe that a bottle of wine was £3.99 and then charged £7.99.

Hello Fraud Act 2006.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm

The price you pay is the price you agree at the point of sale. If you collect a bottle of wine with a price tag of £3.99 and agree to pay £7.99 for it then so be it you can walk away or negotiate if you are not happy.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:32 am

True, but it's much more fun to publish an open letter to the CEO.

I've had my money's worth already judging by threads running elsewhere.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 am

eight quid for a bottle of wine ???????????????

Madness. Never heard of such a thing.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:34 pm

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:29 am

dave3009 wrote:http://www.forbes.com/2003/11/19/cx_np_1119feat.html

I'll 'ave that on me chips thanks !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:48 pm

dave3009 wrote:The price you pay is the price you agree at the point of sale. If you collect a bottle of wine with a price tag of £3.99 and agree to pay £7.99 for it then so be it you can walk away or negotiate if you are not happy.

Spot on - The display of goods in a shop by a shopkeeper is an "Invitation to Treat". Effectively this means that the goods are displayed with the intention that a customer will "offer" to buy them(in the eyes of the law the goods in a shop aren't offered for sale). When this offer is made by a customer, the shopkeeper can either accept or decline the "offer", this is the point where a negotiation over the price will take place. When the shopkeeper accepts the final "offer" then a contract for the sale of goods comes into existance.
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Which is interesting, insofar as point-of-sale staff at Asda (I don't recall being charged the non-shelf price anywhere else) are specifically forbidden to discuss or vary the price that comes up via the barcode. You have the choice of either not buying the item at all (if you happen to spot the price whizzing past on the display as it is scanned) or going to the Customer Services desk to take up the issue if you notice it on the receipt afterwards.

By which point, I presume, you have already legally purchased the item and are reliant on the goodwill of the store?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:34 pm

Josef, you would have a case under the common law of contracts as Asda are guilty of misrepresentation. That is the price advertised on the shelf induced you to make the purchase, if after the contract (sale) has been made you notice that the goods are more expensive then Asda are as guilty as hell. The 3 areas of law that cover the sale of goods are the common law of contracts, Sale of Goods act (1979) and the Unfair Contract and Terms Act (1977). These are interpertated in favour of a consumer against a person in business.
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:42 pm

From my 19yrs in retail i was always told/.informed if an item is displayed with a price lower than the scanned price the customer MUST get a refund for the overcharge, as the company is in breach of the sale of goods act, and are illegally selling a product at a false price.

However if the product scans at a lower price than the point od sale, you win.

Asda are notoriously bad for overcharging but seeing as the sun shines out their arse no one will speak ill of them.

Asda Maryhill is a prime culprit of giving customers absolutely crap service, i only use it now for the post office and try to use B&M, lidl or morrisons for as much as i can.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:03 am

i work in a high street branch of a major retailer

not much of the stuff is priced on the packaging, most of it has a ticket on the shelf
as part of the due diligence for the store, the price tickets have to be checked for accuracy and replaced if incorrect - if something is ticketed at a lower price than it should be, then the item is sold at that lower price(someone would then remove the wrong ticket and replace it with the right one)
if the ticket price is higher, then the customer gets the item for the cheaper price anyway (maybe the tills would have to be checked)

AFAICR this falls under the remit of 'trading standards' and if we got a random visit from the trading standards officer, who then found that a lot of tickets were wrong, legal action could be taken against the store

i too have heard the thing about a priced item being merely an 'offer' to sell the item and all that, but i suspect if a store was found to be habitually wrongly/under-pricing items (whether deliberately or through couldn't-give-a-tossness), trading standards would (or certainly should) be all over them

these days, they would be likely to go through all paperwork to ensure there is an acceptable system of 'control' in place, much like there is with expiry dates on food, weights&measures issues etc.

never mind writing to the CEO, go where the power is - 'raw deal' in the sunday post or 'the judge' in the sunday mail! :D
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 pm

More shenanigans in the Bomb Shelter:

The other night, the smoke alarm in the corner of the bedroom went with a mighty explosion at 3am, leaving my ears whistling. I lay still for a while waiting for it to combust or commit some further indiscretion. After a while I remembered that there was no smoke alarm in the bedroom. Then I noticed that there was something amiss with the doorway to its right and the window to its left. That's not the way the bedroom is laid out.

Sure enough, the window resumed its rightful place to the right, the doorway resolved itself on the other side of the room and the smoke alarm reappeared in the hallway.

I hate hypnopompic hallucinations. :(

I am now on the wagon. 8)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions