26 February: Launch of "Mysterious Glasgow" book

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

26 February: Launch of "Mysterious Glasgow" book

Postby Ronnie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:33 pm

“THE GUIDE TO MYSTERIOUS GLASGOW”

Booklaunch and talk
Thursday 26th February 2009, 6.30-7.30pm
Waterstones Bookshop, 153-157 SAUCHIEHALL STREET, Glasgow, G2 3EW
Free entry. Tel 0141 332 9105 for tickets. www.waterstones.com.

The Guide to Mysterious Glasgow is the guide to everything strange, marvellous, mysterious and paranormal in Glasgow, with a street-by-street description of everything bizarre and supernatural connected with the city.

It includes a complete guide to all the city's gargoyles, legends and relics, along with tours of the Necropolis, the Cathedral, and the city’s museums. Many forgotten aspects of the city's murky history are also here, with countless tales of miracles, holy wells, hauntings, curses, witchcraft, UFOs, big-cat sightings, bodysnatchers, the urban legends of the Glasgow Underground, and the connections that link St Mungo, Merlin and werewolves.

Author Geoff Holder will be giving a 20-minute talk and signing copies at the launch. Come along to hear about the Gorbals vampire, the reanimated corpse of a murderer, and the only stone circle condemned in Parliament by Margaret Thatcher.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: 26 February: Launch of "Mysterious Glasgow" book

Postby gap74 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:00 am

Just been told tonight that I get a nod in the acknowledgements section, might have to turn up now!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:27 am

You do indeed get a nod, Gary. As do Ronnie, myself, Mike Hall and I'm sure a few others on here who contributed. I'm hoping I can make it along too.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Got a glimpse of it tonight, and I see he's managed to amalgamate my name with Mike's in the main text to "Gary Hall".

Now that would be a mysterious creation!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Bought the book the other day. It's crammed full of of all sorts of fascinating stuff and well worth the money [£14.99]. Hope to be there on Thursday.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:37 am

Child vampire hunters sparked comic crackdown

When Pc Alex Deeprose was called to Glasgow's sprawling Southern Necropolis on the evening of 23 September 1954, he expected to be dealing with a simple case of vandalism.Hundreds of children aged from four to 14, some of them armed with knives and sharpened sticks, were patrolling inside the historic graveyard.

They were, they told the bemused constable, hunting a 7ft tall vampire with iron teeth who had already kidnapped and eaten two local boys.

Fear of the so-called Gorbals Vampire had spread to many of their parents, who begged Pc Deeprose for assurances there was no truth to the rumours.

The Gorbals Vampire will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 at 2300 GMT on Tuesday 30 March, and will be available on BBC iPlayer.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Child vampire hunters sparked comic crackdown

When Pc Alex Deeprose was called to Glasgow's sprawling Southern Necropolis on the evening of 23 September 1954, he expected to be dealing with a simple case of vandalism.Hundreds of children aged from four to 14, some of them armed with knives and sharpened sticks, were patrolling inside the historic graveyard.

They were, they told the bemused constable, hunting a 7ft tall vampire with iron teeth who had already kidnapped and eaten two local boys.

Fear of the so-called Gorbals Vampire had spread to many of their parents, who begged Pc Deeprose for assurances there was no truth to the rumours.

The Gorbals Vampire will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 at 2300 GMT on Tuesday 30 March, and will be available on BBC iPlayer.

This was played again today on BBC radio Scotland, its definatly worth a listen, there was far reaching legal implications that still affect what we read in books and papers today.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Archive