Kelvin Park Lorne Hotel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:00 am

There was a squad of workies there yesterday hauling stuff out of the hotel and into a skip.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Snapshot » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:11 am

I just heard the guy in the newsagent's across the road from it say that it was being kept as a hotel, with space being made on the ground floor for 2 restaurants.

Hmmmm, am no so sure, you could cram 500 "luxury executive apartments" in there, and make a fortune :o)

Alan
Snapshot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:25 pm

dazza
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:08 pm

Seems a wasted opportunity to get rid of the extension... hey ho.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby deebers » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:03 pm

That's great news - I'm glad it's being kept as a hotel :) I hope they do a great job of it. If I was a tourist, I would be quite happy to be booked in in that area.
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:35 pm

I'm just glad it's going to be used again, what a shite hole it looks right now :-)
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Kelvin Park Lorne Hotel

Postby StevenJ » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:18 am

Just going through my photos from last year (I haven't had chance until today) and found these of the Kelvin Park Lorne Hotel and was wondering what the story behind it was? A quick search on the internet reveals nothing but "Book This Hotel Now" pages

Google

Anyway - here are a couple of poor pics from the outside. Can anyone get permission to get in? :wink:

StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deevlash » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:22 pm

I used to live in one of the flats that looked onto the hideous extension of the hotel. It closed nearer 3 years ago now and I had a planning application thing shoved through my door at one point. It was to be developed into housing and the extension was to be knocked down and turned into modern flats. I would imagine that the extnsion has remained in place however due the fact its holding up the decrepit subsiding tennament flats it backs onto on argyle st.

As a hotel I asked my dad who once stayed there on business and he said it was an utter dive and one of the worst hotels he's ever stayed in.
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:09 pm

Ive only ever been in this hotel once, when it was closed. My dad does alot alot of planning for BT and he took me round the place a few months back. Its just as horrible inside as it is outside. Ill ask him if he can make an umm official visit to the site. After begging him for months to get me into the BT tunnels he caved in and let me, so this should be an easy one. Wasnt allowd visitors into the tunnels :( but this should be ok.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:38 am

Meanwhile back on topic: I spent half a night in there once and swore never again. No lights, no water, no service what kinda way is that to run an hotel it's know wonder it failed.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:53 am

deevlash wrote:What it did show was a dotted line of a tunnel running from kelvingrove park towards the clyde. I assume its part of the old rail network or something

Yeah, that's part of the old disused low level railway.

Pgcc93 wrote:Meanwhile back on topic: I spent half a night in there once and swore never again. No lights, no water, no service.

Me too! But it was 2005, and it had been closed for quite a while ::):
The summer parties on the rooftop have become a bit of a Glasgow legend. Many a post-Optimo Monday afternoon was spent soaking up the sun "dans le sossage".
dazza
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:49 am

I thought I'd posted this

"I can't swear that this story is true but when I was in the Scouts we were told that the 31st Glasgow (who used to meet in what is now the Henry Wood Hall) used a legacy to buy the plot of land the Lorne stands on in the hope of building a Scout hut.

Time passed and funds never materialised to build the hut and the land was sold (to one of the brewers?) for a silly sum of money.

The proceeds of the sale were used to help fund a number of camps at Kandersteg in Switzerland, equip the troop with a kilt per scout and to carry out some building work at Auchengillan.

Like I say, I can't swear any of this is true. We did go to Kandersteg and we did all have a kilt but where the money came from..................? "

here previously but it turns out it was in the GWEndy House.

By way of an update. I met an ex-31st guy in the Bon Accord yesterday afternoon and he remembers the story too. That said it could be a case of 'send three and four pence, we're going to a dance'.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:38 pm

I worked there for a wee while back in 1986,as a trainee chef, i thought it was well classy 8) they had a French restaurant in it at the time it was posh... mmmm not so sure now though
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 am

evening times

Derelict hotel set to be the biggest curry house in Glasgow

THE biggest curry house in Glasgow is set to open on the site of a derelict hotel.
Entrepreneur Archie Sharif will launch the mammoth Indian restaurant as part of a £9million redevelopment of the landmark Kelvin Park Lorne Hotel.
The 39-year-old, who also owns Modern Indian on West Regent Street, bought the hotel in March last year and planned to finish the development by the end of 2007.
But he decided to turn the A-listed building into a four-star boutique hotel while pursuing his dream of building the city's - and possibly even Scotland's - biggest Indian restaurant.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 am

Took this snap the other day of the work in progress.

Le durachd,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)