Past Present

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:57 pm

turbozutek wrote:What it does not mention though is that there IS still a bit of the building left!!

The St James Business Center across from the Phoenix Cinema was the main offices / entrances to the old Chrysler / Hillman building.

Now it just looks run down and nasty - with only half the units actually taken up.

Chris...

Not been over there in a while, looks all FCK Chicken and Mc D's with a cinema bolted on.

PS:
Turbozutek wrote:Looks like it's broke down too G, eh ?

Chris...

I think the twin SU carbs were choked :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:26 am

turbozutek wrote:
duncan wrote:nevermind, the trusty Gazetteer confirms it's fate:
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/t ... t1173.html

What it does not mention though is that there IS still a bit of the building left!!

The St James Business Center across from the Phoenix Cinema was the main offices / entrances to the old Chrysler / Hillman building.

Now it just looks run down and nasty - with only half the units actually taken up.

Chris...

I didn't know this...I have a client with ofices in there! And yes, it does look run down and nasty, although its not too bad inside.

I'm down there on Monday so I'll maybe grab a couple of photos.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nodrog » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:47 pm

Ronnie wrote:Nice reminder of the er, gentleman's cinema, PG, but wasn't it called the Classic Gland? There was also an er, "gentleman's gentleman" cinema in Renfield Street, opposite Drury Street.
I saw "2001: A Space Odessy" by Stanley Kubrick in the first one, and "Scorpio Rising" (or similar) by Kenneth Anger in the second. My abiding memory of the Renfield Street place was just how *sticky* the carpet was. :?
Gordon I'm sure will know the name (and indeed history) of these palaces of delights.

There's my cue!

The Jamaica St one opened as the Grand Central, was closed for a few years from 1966-73 before reopening as the Classic Grand, and then later the Curzon. Closed about 1992.

The second one you mention was originally Cranston's DelLuxe cinema - thats Cranston as in Miss Cranston of tearoom fame of course! A News cinema and a Tatler Cinema Club were also opened there later (Miss Cranston must have been spinning in her grave!); I believe it ended its life as the Classic Film Centre, closing around 1981. The facade is still there, an office block was built behind it.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Saint Vincent Street

Postby Fossil » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:40 pm

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:05 pm

john wrote:Bothwell street.

VictorianImage

Post warImage

FutureImage

ooh that's what they are building there have you noticed the near bottomless pit they have dug it's quite impressive if you peer in the gates where the trucks come through.

Only know as I work in the Abbey HQ just two buildings down (dark brown at the back of the picture)
Jon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby john-g » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:48 pm

Impressive isn't it?

I was down there a few weeks ago when they were putting up those giant cranes, it was quite late on and the sun was setting, but it was perfectly aligned with Bothwell Street! It looked exactly like that pic someone posted somewhere of the Sunset in Manhattan and I didn't have a camera to hand... aaargh!

Here's an interesting one, Cinema in Anniesland late fifties. (Thanks Gap74!).

2004. A definate improvement.
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:09 am

Yoker Primary School

Now a Housing Association Building.
Totally overgrown with trees. The barrack type building no longer exists.
Really quite difficult to get a decent shot of this buidling at this time of year.
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:01 pm

A couple of past/presents...

Bridge St

Broomielaw/Jamaica st

I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:10 pm

excellent onld photos 8) JamesMc

where from?

fossil--
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby JamesMc » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:22 pm

Credit for the old pics to the Virtual Mitchell. A treasure trove. Got a few more p&ps, watch this space.....
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:55 pm

These pics cover fairly comprehensively the area around my place of work, the lovely Skypark in Finnieston.

On Elliot st
Not much difference at all

Same wcook & sons from the other side on Houldsworth st
Now mostly a McDonalds car park

Looking down Elliot st towards the Clyde
Now the side of the skypark, split by stobcross st/expressway

Looking down to St.Vincent st, corner of Houldsworth and Elliot
Slightly different housing!

The old school on Stobcross st, notice old Skypark in background
Now the bowling alley, newly shiny Skypark in background(sorry about trees)

Finally, not a very good one, but worth it to show the absurdity of replacing fantastic buildings with horrible, soulless ones.The Cranstonhill baths.
And now...a multi-storey car park for skypark.yay!
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:36 am

Great shots JamesMc 8)
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:47 pm

Great pics James. As I stay in Houldsworth St, it's good to see what was there pre 1978. Cheers mate. Any of Houldsworth St??
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:37 pm

Gazzathecoigne wrote:Great pics James. As I stay in Houldsworth St, it's good to see what was there pre 1978. Cheers mate. Any of Houldsworth St??

Cheers Gazza,
There are a few more pics of Houldsworth st on the virtual mitchell, but i didn't use those as it was hard to see exactly what the equivalent today is. It has changed so dramatically and there aren't many points of reference unlike elliot st. There is a good one of the old church which i presume has been replaced with the 60s/70s looking church at the junction with Elderslie st. Have a look and if you spot any other points of reference, let me know!
James.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:04 am

Will do James, and make sure all that Sky Park mob start attending my karaoke again accross in Bannisters on a Friday. There has'nt been a leaving doo from your place in a while, so they're neglecting me. ::):

Once again, cracking photos. Before they built that eyesore of a car park (on the old Cranstonhill Baths site), we used to build our dens round there in the bushes. The building was long gone, but I remember right at the back pf the bushes the outter wall of the yard next door was tiled (actually being the inner wall of the old baths). I remember quizzing my mum at the time and she told me of how she hated being sent there as a child, because there was also a "steamy" in it aswell as the penny baths.

I showed her your pics the other night and she had a wee tear in her eye as she remembered days gone by, so cheers for that mate.
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects