Wednesday's good with me.

Where to meet and what time?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Police Museum to close

Postby John » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:42 pm

I have just checked their web site as I remembered that they had restricted opening hours which used to be a Tuesday and Thursday. This has caught me out on a few previous visits which had to be abandoned.

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index. ... 4&docID=-1

It looks like bad news folks:

Please note: The Glasgow Police Museum is currently in the process of re-locating and will be closed until further notice.

It might be worth getting in touch with them to chance your arm for a final visit.

[email protected]

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:54 pm

:(
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm

HollowHorn wrote::(

I reckon they will have a lot of packing up to do. Why don't you chance you arm and chap the door? You could offer to make tea. Just make sure to take a packet of chocolate biscuits.

I have a lot of photos from my last visit which I will look out and put on flickr as they seem to have added significance now.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Oh bother. :(
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:47 am

I have been told that the police museum is moving to Bell Street in the near future.
John
-
-

Postby Digitographer » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:48 am

Sorry to hear its closing but glad to know its moving - I always thought the location wasn't such a great choice. I only found it by accident after coming out of Cafe Source one day. Very interesting place though, with some great history of some of the crimes of Glasgow.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:41 am

Confirmed as 30 Bell Street.
John
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:54 pm

JohnR wrote:Confirmed as 30 Bell Street.

And an interesting bunch of neighbours they'll have too.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Nice and handy for a pint in Blackfriars.
John
-
-

Postby Digitographer » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I wonder if it will change much in its new location, and also when it will reopen.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alastair » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Folks,
At long last I have had an opportunity to read your kind words about the closure of the Glasgow Police Museum on 11 November 2008 and our departure from our 'spiritual home' (the Old Central Police Office building) on 8 December 2008.
When the Scottish Courts Service realised the cost of upgrading and maintaining the old building to 'Crown Standards' they refused to take on the building and so Glasgow City Council retained ownership. As The Glasgow Police Museum would have been the only occupier when the court closed and we were on a concessionary rent anyway, they decided that we should leave and they have sealed up the building. It is a 'B' listed building and they say it 'will be maintained within GCC financial constraints'.
At the time we closed, we (The Glasgow Police Heritage Society) intimated our interest in the building and put our idea for a Glasgow Police Heritage Centre (on the lines of Inverary Jail) to a number of GCC Councillors and officials. The details were well received and all agreed that such an attraction would be an asset to the City and, being sited in the east side of the City, would augment the Peoples' Palace. Obviously a sustainable business plan and options appraisal (feasabilty study) would have to be carried out......money would also be the biggest issue.
It is the intention of the GPHS to follow up on this idea once we have established ourselves at our new venue at (First Floor) 30 Bell Street, Merchant City, Glasgow G1 1LG (phone: 552 1818).
I can report that our work to re-build the Glasgow Police Museum at our new premises is well advanced and the assembly of the custom-made display cases which we had in the old museum, is almost complete. After that we will be replacing the former displays and adding new ones, creating a museum I'm sure you will enjoy visiting.
One exhibit that was unable to be replaced on display is the old 1912 Police signal box which we found a few years ago in Fleming Street. The floor of our new premises was judged not able to withstand the one tonne weight of the police box and so sadly we have stored it away for the future.
We hope that we will re-open to the public in June 2009, although an exact date has not been decided upon. The website (http://www.policemuseum.org.uk) and newspapers will report on our re-opening.
We will also be taking part in Open Doors Weekend in September.
Thank you all for your keen interest and complimentary postings and I hope to see you at the new museum when it re-opens.
Alastair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:20 am

I think we'll all turn out in force ( sorry - Service .....) :!:
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm

The Police Museum has now re-opened! :D
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext