BrigitDoon's Bomb Shelter

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

BrigitDoon's Bomb Shelter

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:56 am

Someone gave Onny a personal thread for one reason or another. Thought I'd indulge myself in one too. Used to have one in a previous existence.

Saves scattering my debris across a wide area.

For the newbies, I'm a 40-yo Somerset lassie, Bristol born and settled in EK for eighteen months now. Hazy christened me BrigitDoon on account of my predilection for photographing high-flat blow-downs.

I enjoy a good walk in the hills, riding in trains, playing guitar and taking photographs without worrying about technical details.

My grandad was signalman at Cheddar until Beeching laid him off; on my dad's side we've been carpenters, builders and undertakers since the 1700's. So we can build you a box, put you in it and under the patio in short order. We can't send you home to momma on the train any more. Sorry.

My henchman is Herbie, hirsute and fond of dark alleys, cheesewire and neds all at once. It's quiet in this corner of Calderwood. Usually...

I've done the tomboy thing in my younger years and I know how to change the oil in a '78 Audi Avant, but not the water pump. I can mow lawns (so can my mum) and I can put up shelves (building trade...)

I don't talk rubbish about football, but I follow Wolverhampton Wanderers and also have an eye on the Bristol clubs, Rovers (The Gas) and City (Robins). I park up and watch the motor racing on a Sunday when Formula One is in season. Ferrari for my sins, but I don't take the circus too seriously.

I like the Old Car Thread because it's fun and I've been surrounded by folk who know classic cars since year dot. I think there should be a thread for old aircraft in the same vein because I used to live near a Royal Navy air station. One of the lads I grew up with bought a Sea Harrier from them. I'm not envious. They didn't include the engine or avionics.

I trained as an artist at ages 12-13 and I enjoyed a modest career in the nineties to supplement my income as a computer programmer. Having a Dali a bus-ride away is quite a novelty for one brought up on the peat levels of Somerset.

You can keep the maths at Cambridge or computer science at Bristol. Life is far better chasing the common blue across the levels, the large blue across Compton Dundon or better still, the small copper at the foot of the Campsies.

That's just the top of the dustbin. :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: BrigitDoon's Bomb Shelter

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Watching the Hound of the Baskervilles this afternoon. Lanarkshire in body, Dartmoor in mind. Zzzzzzz
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 pm

My surgeon gave me a consent form to sign this morning. :shock:

I got home and the postie folded the Christmas cards before stuffing them through the letter box. NumptieMonkeyFucker. :x

In the post was my new driving licence from DVLA with my old photo on it. May it rain fire on Swansea.

My blood pressure is now 176/113.

Ahm gonnae get pished.

Fuggit. :roll:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:58 pm

176/113 and you're gonny get pished?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Maybe I should turf some neds instead...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:02 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Maybe I should turf some neds instead...

That'd be a much better plan.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:21 pm

Herbie, my henchman, thinks so to. He's eyeing the cheesewire ominously.

It's raining, though, and the little bastards are fair-weather pilots, so we'll be lucky to string any tonight... :roll:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:45 am

Well I didn't get pished last night, Herbie didn't catch any neds, but I did buy a curtain rail from B&Q. What an anti-climax. :roll:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:26 am

That made me laugh :D

How did you get from wanting to get pished and take on some neds to buying a curtain rail? Although some people would get pished and wake up to find they have bought a curtain rail or other completely useless item!
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:44 am

Well, I had a rant on another forum and then decided to go out for a walk and get some wine from Sainsbury's. On the way, I had to go past B&Q. Needing a curtain rail, I dropped in to see what they had and there was just what I was looking for. I bought the wine, went home, found my measuring tape and measured up the window. I went back to B&Q and bought the right length of rail and came home again.

By the time I'd answered a few emails I was rather tired and couldn't be arsed to reach for the corkscrew, so I went to bed.

I'll make up for it later...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:21 pm

Right, that's me curtains up. Is it time for a glass of wine?

It's always time for a glass of wine.

The sun never sets on the Brigit YardArm. :P
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 am

Some time next year, I need to get home from Brighton. I have to go there for an operation and I'm likely to be in considerable discomfort afterwards, so I need a ride home that is smooth.

I've ruled out flying because of the cramped conditions; I hate airports and a hard landing is going to make the eyes water. Also, pressurised cabins make my sinusitis much worse.

I think it's likely I'll catch a train to Victoria, then Euston to Glasgow Central, but there's still the hassle of getting across London.

The other idea that occurred to me was to hire a chauffeur and a large executive saloon and do the journey to EK in one hit. I'm thinking of Jaguar XJ, Audi A8, Mercedes S-Class, large Citroen or any other magic carpet ride.

Does anyone know who would do this sort of thing and how much it would cost?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:01 pm

You'd be better getting a pal to accompany you , pick up a car in Brighton and leave it with their Glasgow Branch.

That means Hertz or something similar.

Unfortunately when I checked the web site none of the prestige cars appeared to be available in March. VW Passat was the best they could offer at £140 for an overnight. Maybe a more detailed search.

Avis will offer you a Bentley for a minimum 5 day hire of £2600

http://www.avisprestige.com
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks Dex.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:31 am

I've been weeding out some old files from my backup hard drive and found these two pieces of Somerset nonsense from years ago...

Let I tell thee ...

ON HOLERDAY (let I tell'ee)

One o' Walkin' Alfy's Lundun relations came down yer ver a holerday,
s'no... Her liked the hedgies and vields, but "Why do they always put
the gate where all the mud is?" Her wanted to know.
"I fink it's so the cows don't graze in the gateway and block it up"
Walkin' Alfy said.

Vone rung. I had t'do it agen:
"Godney Airport, Pilit speakin'. No vlyin' today - too much wind about."
"What do 'ee mean - no wind down thy way?... "
"Thee lookit our buffit menu: mangle and parsnip soup, cabbage and peas,
ripe cheese 'n' raw onion and rough zider... I d'know wind when tiz
about, let I tell thee!"
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe