Least attractive Glasgow Train Stations.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Least attractive Glasgow Train Stations.

Postby br-cmr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Standing at Saltcoats station the other morning, waiting for the 7.46... It was still dark...

Drunk guy approaches.

"What time is it, mate?"

"Quarter to 8"

(pause...)

"Is it quarter to 8 in the morning, or quarter to 8 at night??"
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Squigster » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Just thought i'd put another boot into Dalmarnock station.

After being at a game a Celtic Park, I thought i'd head to Dalmarnock to get a train home - Bad move. There was no policing / stewarding / guards restricting access to the platforms. Needless to say the platforms were scarily busy, I mean really scarily busy. I've never been so happy to safely get on a train in my puff.
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm

br-cmr wrote:

Must have been his stag night then. ::):
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 pm

A few years back - '87 I think - there was a sudden and very heavy snowstorm blanketing the whole of Glasgow including the city centre. The work closed to allow us all to flee to our respective homes before we became trapped and I caught the train from Anderston to Motherwell. Just coming into Dalmarnock the pantograph hit an icicle on the contact wire and the train lost power. The lights went out and the dim emergency lighting came on. Trapped in Dalmarnock station in the gathering gloom; blizzard howling and with every prospect of being cut off I swear I considered getting out and legging it home, ere cabin fever, madness and cannabalism swept the train. As it happened the power came on again and off we went, but it was close... damn close Carruthers.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:54 am

That is a superb post.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:11 am

MacotheIsles wrote:I considered getting out and legging it home, ere cabin fever, madness and cannabalism swept the train. As it happened the power came on again and off we went, but it was close... damn close Carruthers.

Ted Maul was reporting from nearby ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 am

Mori wrote:
br-cmr wrote:

Must have been his stag night then. ::):

Who the fuck would go to Saltcoats furra stag night?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mination » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:57 pm

I have to agree with everyone who has said Dalmarnock. What a total hole of a station! I used to be in a band who practiced out there so spent many a miserable evening waiting for the train there...
mination
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:33 pm

You have to wonder why Dalmarnock has never turned up as a location in a Wes Craven movie.

I mean shite literally seeps out the walls just for a start. No need for special effects!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:44 pm

I passed through Dalmarnock today, I was tempted (for about a millisecond) to get off and take some pics :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:46 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dont do it ken, lifes for living, its not worth it
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Andtmacg » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm

And another vote for Dalmarnock station had to get off a train there once when I brought a car off a mate who worked in the scrapyard just up from the station,when I went to collect itl

and on the subject of oddballs on trains

me and the wife were on the 6.30 am train from Glasgow central to Birmingham last sunday after coming back to Glasgow to visit the inlaws and my folks and do the usual delivering of crimbo pressies, anyway we're on the train, waiting when this young chap and his bird get on and promptly fall asleep ,anyway after a while the train pulls into carlisle staion when the chap and his bird wake up, then , look at me and the wife and ask " is this noo drumchapel pal" wasnt to happy when I told him its Carlisle
Andtmacg
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby tobester » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Great story A, i suppose you could easily mistake a train for carlisle with one that goest to drumchapel (via central LL)

Train to Drumchapel

Train to Carlisle
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:10 pm

Andtmacg wrote:me and the wife were on the 6.30 am train from Glasgow central to Birmingham last sunday after coming back to Glasgow to visit the inlaws and my folks and do the usual delivering of crimbo pressies, anyway we're on the train, waiting when this young chap and his bird get on and promptly fall asleep ,anyway after a while the train pulls into carlisle staion when the chap and his bird wake up, then , look at me and the wife and ask " is this noo drumchapel pal" wasnt to happy when I told him its Carlisle

Just shows how good the guard was at checking tickets too! 8O
I was on a Glasgow - York (via Edinburgh) one mid Saturday evening, and a couple got on at Motherwell, and were wanting to go to Carluke. The guard worked out the times for them from Edinburgh back - a 10 min journey became 3hrs, and cost them an extra £20 each IIRC. They said they thought that the (9 coach blue) train was a 'special'.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:25 pm

Just shows you that people dont read the boards on the platforms or at the stations especially at motherwell as platform 1 is shared with the carstairs/lanark via shieldmuir and inter-city trains.

My best cock-ups are on the Airdrie expresses, all stops milngavie to high street then express to blairhill, always one on before high street with a ticket to bellgrove, they just ignore the in train messages and driver announcements. Funny as they have to travel to blairhill then cross over and back to bellgrove etc. You get the same on the 1727 QS-Helesnburgh stops partick then doesnt stop until dumbarton central, you get people with tickets to drumchapel, hyndland dalmuir, had one guy saying...'i never listen to the train announcements as theyre always wrong' well that day instead of getting off at hyndland he had to travel to dumbarton ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)