Willowford Social Club

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Willowford Social Club

Postby Chopper » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:14 pm

In the early 1970's on Willowford Road in South Nitshill was situated a "Social Club" ,which was if my memory serves me well the only place in Scotland where you could buy alcoholic drinks within the grounds of a Chapel.

Does anyone else recall this and explain how it managed to get permission to sell bevvy. It was heavily frequented by patrons from all over Pollok and did a roaring trade on a Sunday especially. The priest was regularly in attendance but his name escapes me. Ii was located at the corner of the chapel grounds closet to Nitshill primary and faced the bus-stop.

It lasted for at least a couple of years if not longer and was I believe closed owing to pressure from the Catholic Churches High heid Yins.
Chopper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Willowford Social Club

Postby scottland » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Cant say anything about this other than it did exist,my aunt and uncle went there.the name of the chapel is St Bernards,perhaps appropriate name.

The chapel hall at St margaret marys in castlemilk has a bar in it.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:23 pm

238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Chopper wrote:In the early 1970's on Willowford Road in South Nitshill was situated a "Social Club" ,which was if my memory serves me well the only place in Scotland where you could buy alcoholic drinks within the grounds of a Chapel.

It wasn't the only one. A significant number of parishes had social clubs next to the chapel. It is a normal business model;hatched married and despatched all functions catered for. I think St. Denis's in Dennistoun had a similar club.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:18 pm

8) Don't be too bogged down with the selling of drink.....The Willowford Club, was a licensed club, with membership cards and all that goes with it.
The biggest asset during the years it was open, was simple..........it was one of only a very few locations within the Southside, that allowed a couple to enjoy a social night out, without having to take out a 'Provi Loan'.
In the immediate locality, there were the usual pubs, but you really had to travel to Barrhead for any similar facilities, and with the exception of the local Bowling Club.......meant that many, many couples could not afford to go into the City Centre for a night out.
The Willowford Club was therefore a jewel within the community, and offered good night's out without breaking the bank.
Father Burns was the cornerstone of the Club, and kept order throughout, and it was due to pressure from the Glasgow Archdiocese, that forced this licensed facility to close....and it was sorely missed because at the same time, the area in general became much more threatening, so many couples lost a valuable asset, and night's out became more difficult.
The local community never fully recovered the loss of such a social facility, and the local pubs held the occasional night to capitalize on the lack of social nights......but by this time the 'gangster image' had blossomed and the area became much 'too hard' and most couples never really got a social replacement.
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby chateaudulait » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Lots of Chapels have bars in the adjoining halls. Off the top of my head I can think of the afore mentioned St Margaret Mary's, Christ the King at Kings Park has just built a brand new hall with bar making it extremely handy when marrying in the church if the groom or bride needs a drink after :D Also St Columkille's in Rutherglen has a great hall.
I suppose the difference with the Willowford Club is that these halls I mentioned are not open all the rime, only for functions etc.
chateaudulait
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jock58 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:31 am

Hello all
Willowford church halls
I remember going into the halls as a wee kid for the Sat morning Matinee shows. They would play old movies like Flash Gordon & the likes.
Also waiting outside the gates at weddings waiting for the scramble when a load of coppers would be tossed to the local kids. The 49 bus would have to wait till every penny was scrapped up if it was on the hill.
Opposite the Church there were flagstone paths in the winter kids would use buckets of water, with a good run up you could slid the whole length and crash into the hedge at the bottom.
Jock58
Jock58
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Not many photos of the old club exist.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects