Glasgow Railway Termini

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Railway Termini

Postby Anorak » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:49 am

Brilliant pics, Duck!

I particularly liked the one where the two trains are splitting at Gorbals Junction.
Gorbals Junction was situated a short distance to the north of the two adjacent Gorbals Stations shown in my earlier map. It was the point were the two lines merged.
It was situated behind the Royal Princess’s Theatre, which became the Citizen’s Theatre in 1945.

Trains operated by the City of Glasgow Union Railway passed through Main Street Station. The reference which you found earlier to Gorbals Junction Station, probably refers to Main Street Station.

Thanks for the info about the railway companies, Sir Roger. I wouldn’t know where to begin to keep up with all the companies which operated in Glasgow prior to nationalisation. They seem to be completely different depending on which year you’re getting the information.

I couldn’t find out when Cumberland Street Station had been renamed. Thanks to you finding about LMS, I now know it was called Eglinton Street from 1900 to 1924.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Some further images of Cumberland Street station from ground level.

Looking north east:

Looking south east:

Both images from the RCAHMS site and taken on 26/6/69, by which point it had been closed for three years.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm struggling to get my bearings in the first picture. Was there also an entrance to the station at the end of Cumberland Street where the Kiloran is? I remember a number of years back there was an "open doors" day and there was a guided tour of Cumberland Street station (or what remains of it); I bitterly regret not taking up that opportunity.

Edited to add: just read back through the earlier posts and I assume the answer to my quesiton is yes!
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Anorak » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:30 pm

Charlie,

The entry in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects maintains that there were entrances from both Cumberland Street and Eglinton Street to the station. http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=232854

The 1913/1914 Valuation Roll has entries for 2 bars on either side of the bridge over Eglinton Street, both owned by the Glasgow & South Western Railway Company.

The pub at 219 Eglinton Street , on the Cumberland Street side of the bridge, still exists as the Kiloran Bar. The tenant at the time was Mrs Janet McAllister.

The pub on the other side of the bridge, at 237 Eglinton Street, no longer exists. The tenant shown in the 1913/ 1914 Valuation Roll was George Hannan.

Unfortunately the old Valuation Rolls do not give you details of the pub names, only the owners and tenants. I’ve got no idea what these pubs may have been originally called.
Last edited by Anorak on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Cheers Anorak. Cumberland St. station was obviously much larger that I'd previously imagined.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Anorak » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 am

This map shows Bridge Street Station in the period 1891-1906, before Central Station had been extended to provide extra platforms. It was still very much a railway terminal even though some track did pass through, en route to Central Station.

The colonnaded entrance to the original station is still in place, while the new station, built between Nelson Street and Kingston Street is flanked by 2 pubs, as you would expect!

Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Sir Roger DeLodgerley wrote:Some further images of Cumberland Street station from ground level.

Looking north east:

Got my bearings on this photograph now - this would have been the pub on the other side of the railway bridge from the Kiloran.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Anorak » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:06 am

Here’s a map of the city centre showing both the sites of Central Station and St Enoch Station before the railway lines crossed the Clyde. They are remarkably close together.

The initial stage of Central Station had 9 platforms, numbered in the opposite direction to what we see today.
It appears that the trains bound for Ayrshire and Renfrewshire still terminated on the other side of the river at Bridge Street as shown in my earlier posting.
St Enoch Station had 6 platforms for trains heading this way. Makes you wonder why they went ahead with the extension to Central Station?
With all the duplication, you can begin to see were Dr. Beeching was coming from.

The Gordon Street entrance to the original Central Station and the concourse are still recognisable today.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Anorak wrote:[

Charlie, here's a map showing part of the Barrhead Line from Strathbungo to St Enoch, which ran under Victoria Road near Eglinton Toll, and then followed the line of Pollokshaws Road towards Gorbals Station.

Anorak - is at least part of this line still in use? I was going into town today and noticed the road passes over a railway line at St Ninian's Church / The Hidden Garden. I parked the car in Coplaw Street to have a look and it seems to tie-in with the above map. I've lived in Shawlands and Cathcart for ten years and can't believe I've never noticed this before. The line heads off southwest and must join up with the Barrhead line before Nithsdale Road (the site of Strathbungo Station); I would also have thought it would be able to join up with the Neilston and Cathcart Circle lines but I seem to remember reading on here that traffic from St Enoch could not access these lines (this was given as one of the reasons for St Enoch being chosen over Central for closure). I assume this line is used for freight only but I've no idea where it goes as it heads in the northwesterly direction. Coming the opposite way from St Enoch I've followed the line (viewing it from the road) past Caledonia Road church and the viaduct disappears between Pollokshaws Road and Cathcart Road.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:40 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:00 am

Charlie,

Learned a lot from trying to answer your query. Went on a wee voyage of dscovery on Google Earth, following the tracks wherever they led. Most of the views are still recognisable from the 1913 map posted earlier.

It looks like you are correct and that part of the old line to St Enoch can be used for freight trains.

The stretch of track on the Barrhead/ St Enoch Line from Eglinton Toll to Gorbals has been lifted. The stretch from Strathbungo Station to Victoria Road is still in place.
The old branch which joins up with the West Coast Main Line heading from Central towards Rutherglen is still there.
The northwesterly branch line from the junction originally terminated at General Terminus Quay. It now only goes as far as Shields Road junction were it joins up with the Paisley bound line from Central.

Neither the old map or Google Earth offer any suggestions as to why trains from St Enoch could not join up with the Cathcart Circle lines. They seem to be right next to each other!
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks Chaps. I got the bright idea of following the tracks on Google Earth as well after I posted yesterday. Excellent stuff Anorak pinpointing the exact line of the lifted track from Eglinton Toll to the Gorbals - I wouldn't have got that. Like you I can't see any reason why traffic from St Enoch couldn't have joined the Cathcart Circle and Neilston Lines. Excellent detective work all round - I'd been trying to work all this out for some time.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:16 pm

I was on the train into work this morning (Neilston line) and was wondering why I couldn't see the old line to St Enoch branching off. On closer inspection of Multimap I now realise that the old St Enoch line crosses over the Neilston line on a bridge to join up with the EK / Barrhead lines; it's therefore correct that traffic from St Enoch would have been unable to access the Neilston line.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Anorak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:50 am

I keep forgetting about that extra dimension, Charlie.
I used to contribute to the Flat Earth Society forums. I argued in favour of the proposition, winding up American eejits who actually believed that I was for real!
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php
http://theflatearthsociety.net/forum/index.php

Back to the reality of Hidden Glasgow…………………….
I’m still following the extinct south side railway lines on Google Earth.
Surprised at how much is still there and how the aerial views assist in making sense of the maps and pictures posted earlier.

The track out of St Enoch seems to be still in place from Gorbals Junction along Cumberland Street out to Shields Road junction where it joins the Central / Paisley line.
The track on the Barrhead line seems to have been lifted from Gorbals Junction to Eglinton Toll. The M74 extension will ensure it will never be relaid.

The bridges on this stretch of the line seem to have nothing on them but trees.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks for pinpointing the sites of Gorbals and Main Street stations - I'm really interested in this area so think I'll have a walk about some time rather than just zooming past in the car. I too was amazed at how easy it was to tie-in the railway lines on the old maps with aerial pictures on Google Earth.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)