WiFi locations in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: WiFi locations in Glasgow

Postby YokerBloke » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:05 pm

The Royal Inf also blocked the likes of YouTube, MySpace etc and the bandwidth seemed to be a lot better. Not WiFi I know, but it just goes to show how much these sites can suck the BW out any connection. I guess in public WiFi, this is a good idea.
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:09 am

i may try and go with one of the other mobile broadband suppliers , my three contract is pish compared to others ive heard and i only use it twice a month for about 7 nights straight and get signal problems in pollok of all places. does anyone have any comparisons between three and vodafone,orange,t-mobile and O2
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alzaman » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:52 pm

One thing i have used to do was use a Sony PSP to "investigate" local wireless activities, because it's a lot less conspicuous than driving around in a car, Wardriving, with a laptop and your choice of Windows / Linux. Not to mention an obvious antenna sticking from the car roof.

You can also use a GPS device with Netstumbler, and convert the .NS1 log files to .KML format, which can then be viewed in Google Earth to paint a picture of the networks found, their security, or lack of it!, and their location .. which is damn clever.

As we all know, connecting to open / insecure AP's is illegal, Wi-Fi network mapping isn't .. try explaining that to the average plod :roll:
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby clearhearts » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 am

If anyone stays in Shawlands, Tchai Ovna on Deanston Drive has free WiFi, lots of tea, fantastic grub and lovely staff. Fantastic place to work/study/arse about on the internet!
clearhearts
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scotgio » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 am

crazygray23 wrote:i may try and go with one of the other mobile broadband suppliers , my three contract is pish compared to others ive heard and i only use it twice a month for about 7 nights straight and get signal problems in pollok of all places. does anyone have any comparisons between three and vodafone,orange,t-mobile and O2

Vodafone right now allow you to 'tether' your 3G handset if you have a mobile phone with one of their unlimited data plans (they call it unlimited, but I think there is a fair use cap of 500MB). My girlfriend recently got a great deal, and she can use the bluetooth connection on the phone to hook it to her laptop and get broadband anywhere. No need for a 3G modem and an extra bill.

This is quite unusual, most mobile networks ban you from tethering your phone to a laptop in their Ts & Cs. I guess they'd rather you bought a 3G modem. Worth bearing in mind next time you buy a handset - not all of them support tethering.
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:05 pm

Hmm,
My 'Purple Patch' WiFi 1hr card (bought some time back) and my part completed Beanscene loyalty card , are both now – seemingly – useless.
Should I send them to the People's Palace, in case they are building a collection of useless modern tat built on kidology, etc.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:49 pm

There's a new place called foto bareesta on Woodlands Road, near the Beanscene that offers free wifi. I'm in there right now. It's quirk seems to be that it's a coffee shop that offers digital photo printing while you wait. They also have a few computers to use if you don't have a laptop with you.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Great, Thanks for that.
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottland » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:31 pm

there is free wifi in my house, it came on after the flats near me were demolished
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:35 am

To my great amusement, the Coronation Cafe under the railway bridge on the Gallowgate is now claiming to have wifi access.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 pm

The Griffin now has free WiFi.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Josef wrote:The Griffin now has free WiFi.
It used to be Pie,Beans,Chips and a pint for £2.20 and now its wifi! I ask you,is that progress?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:24 pm

Haggis, neeps and tatties - £5.95
Bottle of Budvar - £3.40
Accessing HG on the move - Priceless

Probably.

Not that I did, anyway - my daughter picked it up on her Ipod-y thingy.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 pm

floweredpig wrote:
It used to be Pie,Beans,Chips and a pint for £2.20 and now its wifi! I ask you,is that progress?

I sampled that on numerous occasions mmmmmm lovely and always found the Griffin staff to be courteous beyond their jurisdiction a great wee pub :)
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:46 pm

scaryman2u wrote:
floweredpig wrote:

I sampled that on numerous occasions mmmmmm lovely and always found the Griffin staff to be courteous beyond their jurisdiction a great wee pub :)
in my mind the finest in Glasgow.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)