Greggs, the city boaker.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Greggs, the city boaker.

Postby allyharp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Where are all the non-Gregg's bakers near the city centre?

While at Glasgow uni I got used to cakes from the Pantry on Byres Rd, or even Il Capuccino did a great sandwich for a treat. But now I'm at Strathclyde Uni where can I go?

I know of Bradford's on Sauchiehall St and Miss Cranston's on Gordon St but both are a bit far away. Is that one still open at Trongate? MacDonald's is it? I had a wander up High Street the other day and was disappointed there's nothing up there.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby br-cmr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:19 pm

martin wrote:(the yum yums are pretty rank, and I'm not sure about this Tottenham Cake. Looks odd.)

Is it really made from totties and ham?
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby br-cmr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:34 pm

allyharp wrote: But now I'm at Strathclyde Uni where can I go?

If you find anywhere decent, let me know...

Not a bakers, but the wee shop under the high flats behind the library used to do great rolls. Freshly made, whatever wierd and wonderful combination you wanted. Friendly staff, who knew what you were going to order before you asked.. It was a "real butchers" as well - did very nice steak pies, and mince puffs (!)

However, the owner retired last year, and the shop's now awful - chilled plastic sandwiches, ageing fruit, and a funny smell. And Buckfast in the fridge... None of the regulars go there any more.

Jamieson's on George St is OK for sandwiches & soup, but it again has gone downhill recently.
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Reference: 10/02308/DC Community Cnl: Kinning Park
Address: 455 Paisley Road Glasgow G5 8RJ
Proposal: Display of fascia sign with internally illuminated logo and internally illuminated projecting
sign
Date Received: 15.09.2010 Date Valid: 06.10.2010
Applicant
Details:
Greggs The Bakers
Agent Details: 01382 774111
Ward: Govan Representation Expiry Date: 05.11.2010
Type: Advertisement Consent Level:
Case Officer: Mr I Mason, 0141 287 6019
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 257506 (N) 664603
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Has Greggs gone from Glasgow Airport?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Greggs Govan Cross, Best In Britain !

Postby Mori » Sun May 27, 2012 12:28 am

Ive been going to this branch for the past few years, and yes their service is better + sandwiches, cakes taste better than other Greggs that i have tried. :D

Daily Record

Govan Cross Greggs' beats 1,600 other bakers to win 'best in UK' title

THEY’RE the pies guys of Britain’s bakeries – and they believe they’re on a roll.

The staff at one Greggs in Glasgow were celebrating yesterday after being voted the best in the UK by their bosses.

And to recognise all their hard work, they’ll share a trophy and £1000.

Company examiners looked at service, shop standards, teamwork and sales and awarded points each week.

The branch at Govan Cross were named top out of Greggs’ 1600 shops across Scotland, England and Wales.
Their bosses were so happy that the firm’s board of directors, led by chief executive Ken McMeikan, helped out in the shop for a day.
Ken joked: “The staff have won us for the day and it’s a privilege to be here and help serve our loyal customers.”
Locals also enjoyed some grub served up by the bosses. Care support worker Sarah Boyd, 26, of Govan, said: “I’ve always like Greggs – and staff are always pleased to see you.”
The shop have 6500 customers each week and serve up 6000 sausage rolls, 3000 rolls, 1200 strawberry tarts, 1200 baguettes and 600 scotch pies.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Sun May 27, 2012 6:35 am

A big well done to the Glasgow team! 8)

But don't they sell bridies any more - don't see them on the sales figures?

Mind you, since Greggs was taken over the bridies (IMHO) are total mince! :?
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue May 29, 2012 8:35 am

a guy goes into greggs and complains that theres a worm in his pie.the manager looks into the pie and declares...its fat.im not surprised says`the guy...its ate all the feckin mince.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Tue May 29, 2012 9:42 am

::):
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:35 pm

2nd year in a row. :D

ET

Govan bakery best in UK... again!

A GLASGOW bakery is celebrating after being crowned "best in UK" for the second year in a row

Trading director Martin Kibler, head of retail Alan Greenshields and financial director Richard Hutton congratulate Govan branch boss June Tait on her shop's victory for the second year in a row
Greggs in Govan Cross Shopping Centre has been awarded by bosses at the high street chain.
As part of the prize the branch was given extra pairs of hands as Greggs senior team, including trading director Martin Kibler, donned uniforms to help run the shop for the day.
Manager of the Govan branch, June Tait, said: "This has been such a special time for the team.
"I feel extremely lucky to have such an amazing group to work with."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:13 am

Mori wrote:2nd year in a row. :D

ET

Govan bakery best in UK... again!

A GLASGOW bakery is celebrating after being crowned "best in UK" for the second year in a row

Trading director Martin Kibler, head of retail Alan Greenshields and financial director Richard Hutton congratulate Govan branch boss June Tait on her shop's victory for the second year in a row
Greggs in Govan Cross Shopping Centre has been awarded by bosses at the high street chain.
As part of the prize the branch was given extra pairs of hands as Greggs senior team, including trading director Martin Kibler, donned uniforms to help run the shop for the day.
Manager of the Govan branch, June Tait, said: "This has been such a special time for the team.
"I feel extremely lucky to have such an amazing group to work with."

I'm always a bit puzzled why one Greggs should be better than another (other than for the staff) given most stuff is part baked off the premises and finshed in the shop. There can't be that much variation, can there?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:50 am

Sales.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:53 am

true rdr,so that leaves us wuth customer care.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 pm

It's not actually part baked off premises, they're delivered frozen and baked on site. The sandwiches are made fresh on site, and some of the cakes are finished off in store, depending on what they are and what time of year it is.

Aye, mah maw used to work for Greggs.

Sadly, one thing they're not big on is the old "oops, this yumyum is squashed, it'll need to go in the bin" (ie the staff's handbag).

Dunno how you get to be the Best Greggs - probably a combination of sales figures and an inspection. They're big on their customer service and speed of service. Granted, some are better than others in that regard... but I'd imagine the one at Govan sees heavy traffic given that it's right next to the Job Centre (and no, that's not a dig. Back in the dark days when the Mister and I were signing on, our treat after the horrors of the dole queue was a sausage roll each from the one in The Forge. Small victories, eh?).
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:It's not actually part baked off premises, they're delivered frozen and baked on site. The sandwiches are made fresh on site, and some of the cakes are finished off in store, depending on what they are and what time of year it is.

Aye, mah maw used to work for Greggs.

Sadly, one thing they're not big on is the old "oops, this yumyum is squashed, it'll need to go in the bin" (ie the staff's handbag).

Dunno how you get to be the Best Greggs - probably a combination of sales figures and an inspection. They're big on their customer service and speed of service. Granted, some are better than others in that regard... but I'd imagine the one at Govan sees heavy traffic given that it's right next to the Job Centre (and no, that's not a dig. Back in the dark days when the Mister and I were signing on, our treat after the horrors of the dole queue was a sausage roll each from the one in The Forge. Small victories, eh?).

Yes SRB that was what I really meant, not part baked.
Certainly not mixed on the premises.
I had a cousin who worked with them as well.
They are strict on portion control. Exact number of scoops of whatever in each sandwich, so each shop should be consistent.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)