The Garngad

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Garngad

Postby pat hughes » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:14 pm

I was born and brought up in forge street in the Garngad from 1932- 1957. I lived with my parents my sister and 5 brothers, and my sister still lives in the area. I attended St Rochs junior secondary school and I am looking to get in touch with some people from the same area from around this time.

I now live in East Kilbride with my wife but i still have very fond memories of being brought up in the Garngad and would like to speak with people with similar circumstances.
pat hughes
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: The Garngad

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:20 pm

Stick with the Glasgow Guide they're good at that sort of thing, Pat. We're more interested in the busses that ran thru the Garngad.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi pat just to let you know I was born in Charles Street in the old tenements before the flats were built. We moved to Canada for a tenner .Anyway back in Scotland since the 70s. My Great Great gran ran a friut shop in the Garngad and was known as Orange Maggie but I think that had more to do with her beliefs than her fruit.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:37 pm

'The Garngad' is one of those names I've heard from time to time, though I've no idea what it means or where it is.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:42 pm

Sounds like something out of Lord Of the Rings and looks like it too :)
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:38 pm

HollowHorn wrote:'The Garngad' is one of those names I've heard from time to time, though I've no idea what it means or where it is.

Comes from a split Gealic word Garn means to girn and Gad means Glad so ineffect ya wur Girnnin to go in and Glad to get the fuck out. ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): . Naw jist made it up but it sounded good.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 pm

I believe it translates as Garden of God.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:24 pm

He didn't even manage one post to Glasgow Guide.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 am

HollowHorn wrote:'The Garngad' is one of those names I've heard from time to time, though I've no idea what it means or where it is.

Royston/Roystonhill'ish HH

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:37 am

"Garngad & Royston

The name Garngad is said to derive from the Gaelic word ‘Garn’ meaning rough ground. The Gad Burn on old maps ran from High Balornuck Farm to the old Barnhill Poorhouse (now a housing estate), prior to joining the historic Molendinar. Although many residents claim Garngad to mean the Garden of God, it is also known as ‘The Good and the Bad’. The name of St Roch or Rocue or Rollox has been associated with this area for nearly 500 years."

link: http://www.roystonroadproject.org/archive/history/garngad_royston.htm
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: The Garngad, Banner draped over the shops.

Postby MungoDundas » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Greetings,
I took a phone snap last June in the Garngad.

MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Wee song doing its rounds at the moment about this. :twisted: :twisted:

MungoDundas wrote:Greetings,
I took a phone snap last June in the Garngad.

Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I just passed through Royston Road a wee while a go and the area is all decked out for St Pats day. Not a day I bother about but the flags and decorations certainley brighten up a pretty drab area of Glasgow. Have a nice day.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tossy mac » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 pm

good morning tossymac here i was born and bred in garngad decanted to blackhill with my da [the wee don]and my ma tersa mclaughlin five brother.s and a sister went back to the garngad every day our school st roch.s was on garngad rd i can just speak for myself [it happened to other.s] experienced act.s of diaspora put on me every day stopped every day searched locked up just being a human being roman catholic ?? born in a protestant scotland[am i scotish???] dont think so?? left garngad blackhill 1964 to my chagrin after a long period of my life diaspora ???? my roots and soul are in garngad 33 county of ireland slainte a man from garngad tossymac ps read the good nbad as usual awhite wash ?? keenan ? a mouth peice for the protestant glasgow machine be who you are and say what you feel dont those who matterd dont mind and those who mind dont matter [email protected] thomas mcintyre
tossy mac
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 pm

tossy mac wrote:good morning tossymac here i was born and bred in garngad decanted to blackhill with my da [the wee don]and my ma tersa mclaughlin five brother.s and a sister went back to the garngad every day our school st roch.s was on garngad rd i can just speak for myself [it happened to other.s] experienced act.s of diaspora put on me every day stopped every day searched locked up just being a human being roman catholic ?? born in a protestant scotland[am i scotish???] dont think so?? left garngad blackhill 1964 to my chagrin after a long period of my life diaspora ???? my roots and soul are in garngad 33 county of ireland slainte a man from garngad tossymac ps read the good nbad as usual awhite wash ?? keenan ? a mouth peice for the protestant glasgow machine be who you are and say what you feel dont those who matterd dont mind and those who mind dont matter [email protected] thomas mcintyre

I don't normally pass comment on the quality of grammar in posts but ffs!

I'm dubious about your claim that you attended school every day (at least, that's how I'm interpretating the part of your post I've highlighted red).
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development