barrowmen and carters around Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

barrowmen and carters around Glasgow

Postby fourbytwo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:30 pm

::): With so much negative reporting surrounding 'Paddy's Market'. I was wondering whether a retropective of the lives of the carters and hauliers could be a good visual exercise?
I remember vividly the carts selling books at the bottom of Bothwell Street, and apart from the current hand cart next to M & S, cannot think of other carts and street sellers.
Yet, it does show a remarkable time (50's/60's), when glasgow had probably more character that it does now....!
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:47 pm

You also have the flower sellers outside Primark [Littlewoods] on Argyle St
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dugald » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Who among us from old Govan could forget the vendors at the corner of Glospie St. and Langlands Rd. every Saturday morning shouting, "Loch Fyne herring" or "ripe Victorian plumbs", depending on the season. Then of course there was the coal certs... Carvill's for example, three 'n tanner a bag, two up the middle!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:29 pm

I mind when Dymo tape came out and was cutting edge technology.

This guy stood at the archway entrance to Sloan's on Argyle St with a Dymo machine and big boards covered in example badges. It must've been a wee goldmine as we all queued up for an instant badge. I got 'Hibernian FC' on mine and my big sister got 'I Luv Donny Osmond.'
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 pm

The flower sellers outside Fopp on byres road as well and the veg stall / christmas tree stalls outside Intersport on Gt George St, opposite M & S.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Nice one fourbytwo

thereis still a cart selling flowers frequently on Argyle Street. Think it is near Marks & Spencers.

Living in Cowcaddens during the early 60's we saw many carts passing Port Dundas Road. Don't have any photos though.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:36 pm

Oh for the good old days...of the 50's?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: barrowmen and carters around Glasgow

Postby fourbytwo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:20 pm

just shows you...what goes around etc, etc, photograph of the very barrowman selling the books, appears in the Evening Times tonight in the Past section.....Monday 4th August..!
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:11 pm

I remember Billys Fruit bara on paisley rd toll before he opend a chain of shops around the city in the 60s & 70s sadly they all falterd by the mid 80s when the supermarkets started taking over.

Used to give you a whole load of Fruit for next to nothing, my mum always went there, i remember one day when i was a boy waiting to cross the road @ PRT and i felt a tap on my shoulder and billy handed me about half o dozen over ripe bananas, "whats them for" i said "for eating" he said "i've nae money" i said "never asked ye for Money son " and he walked away smilin :D

Good on ye Billy 8)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:30 pm

In the 50s and early 60s a chap called Van Middell (sp) had a book/ magazine shop on St Vincent Street between Elderslie Street and Beltane Street. My father was regular customer for a US mag called Mechanix Illustrated.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:44 am

Icecube wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dexter wrote:Hi,
I'd suggest you get a new name. Dave something or other is a more popular choice.

What a complete wanker you are to demand somebody change a name to please you.

© Mox Moxter of that ilk, Dynasty 1985

He didn't demand. He suggested.

And, since Dexter St Clair is almost invariably referred to as 'Dex' or 'Dexter' in these here parts, your comment admirably demonstrates that a change of name would be a smart move.

I'm very well aware that Dex's reputation precedes him, to the extent that he is completely unable to post anything with the slightest degree of irony or humour without it being taken literally. But come on, guv.

P.S. (1) : I managed to mistake a post from a recent sign-up with a name one letter different from one of my mod colleagues with said colleague; and

P.S. (2) I have no idea who Mox Moxter is. Dynasty? FFS. It'll be the Log Lady next. MInd you, I know who the Log Lady is.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby tinbasher » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Dugald wrote:Who among us from old Govan could forget the vendors at the corner of Glospie St. and Langlands Rd. every Saturday morning shouting, "Loch Fyne herring" or "ripe Victorian plumbs", depending on the season. Then of course there was the coal certs... Carvill's for example, three 'n tanner a bag, two up the middle!

There was a man with a barrow came up Harmony Row selling welks and other shellfish. Several "rag" men and this may be imagination but I am sure I saw the bins emptied into a horse drawn cart in the late 50s.

Tin
tinbasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects