GREEN GLASGOW

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: GREEN GLASGOW

Postby Dugald » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 am

"The Glasgow Furniture Initiative works in partnership with Land and Environmental
Services (Waste Recycling) and collects good quality furniture and white goods from
the Special Uplift Service. It plans annually to divert 1,200 tonnes of good quality
furniture and white goods from landfill which will save the Council around £40,000 per
year in landfill tax and reduce the Council's costs in collecting items that would
traditionally go to the Special Uplift Service
."

This is certainly something very worthwhile Mori, and reflects the interest many non-governmental enterprises are taking in the environment these days... reducing landfill dumping by 1200 tonnes /year and saving the council £40,000 per year in landfill tax is encouraging! I have noticed the A&P supermarket where we shop that they recently posted signs telling us that, for example, they have saved 23000 tonnes over the past year by recycling boxes. If big cities like Glasgow can get all supermarkets interested in the environment, it will be a big step towards keeping Glasgow green.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:42 am

GCC Item 11 (12 Pages)

WASTE MANAGEMENT OPTION APPRAISAL

Purpose of Report:

To review, identify and present the options for the long term future proof solution for the
management and treatment of municipal waste generated within the city.

Recommendation:

It is recommended that Committee
1. Approve the content of this report and authorise the Executive Director of Land and
Environmental Services to prepare an Outline Business Case for the introduction of
Autoclave mechanical treatment facilities within the existing waste treatment sites at
Polmadie, Dawsholm and Easter Queenslie which will enable Glasgow to comply
with Government targets and reduce potential exposure to financial liabilities.
2. Instruct that the Outline Business Case be referred back to Executive Committee
3. Approve that the Executive Director makes a bid for funding for Waste Management
from Scottish Government Zero Waste Fund once the rules for funding applications
are known.
4. Instruct that regular project updates be reported to PDS Committee via LES
workstream.

• Improve recycling to achieve Recycling Targets
• Decrease landfill to achieve landfill diversion targets
• To reduce the Council’s Landfill Tax Burden
• To avoid Landfill Allowance Penalties
• To take Glasgow to the top of recycling leagues.

• Recycling targets: Recycling and composting targets are set at 40% by 2010; 50% by 2013; 60% by
2020 and 70% by 2025. (These targets coverall Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) and
help the Scottish Government deliver EU targets)
• Landfill Targets: No more than 5% of municipal waste should be landfilled by 2025.
• Energy from Waste: No more than 25% of municipal waste should be treated by creating energy from
waste and that the energy from waste plants should demonstrate high levels of
efficiency, such as Combined Heating and Power or District Heating.

• 93 000 blue bins have been issued to households who receive a kerbside collection.
• The paper, plastic bottles, food and Drinks cans are taken to the Glasgow City
Councils own Materials Reclamation Facility (MRF) for separating. Glasgow City
Council is one of the few local authorities that operates its own MRF.
• 55,000 brown bins have been issued to allow households to dispose of organic
garden waste for composting. A further 50,000 will be introduced over the next 3
years.
• Introduction of narrow gauge vehicles to service housing stock with accessibility
difficulties. Two vehicles are now in use for domestic waste collection and a further
vehicle for recycling collections.
• 80,000 tenement properties have been issued with blue bins in their backcourts.
• Two of Glasgow’s 4 Civic Amenity Sites (Easter Queenslie and Dawsholm) have
been re-developed into Household Recycling Centres. The other 2 sites at Shieldhall
and Polmadie are due, pending funding, to be upgraded.
• A network of recycling points has been developed around the city. This will allow the
public to recycle paper, plastic bottles, food and drinks cans. There is also an
extensive network of glass recycling points.
• 250 schools have been provided with blue bins for recycling their paper, plastic
bottles, food and drinks cans.
• Continuing with Schools recycling education programme. This programme involves
visits and talks at the schools and site visits to Polmadie Depot Materials Recycling
Facility.
• A network of 400 public recycling points have been introduced throughout the City. A
Partnership has also been set up with Volvic Waters and Valpak which has enabled a
further 15 recycling banks to be introduced in the city centre .
• Glasgow City Council is working in partnership with WRAP to promote Home
Composting.
• Glasgow City Council continues to support the community sectors waste minimisation
and re-use initiatives. E.g. The Glasgow Furniture Initiative.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:15 pm

I recently tried to donate the contents of one of my spare rooms to a number of charities in Glasgow. It was, admittedly, a mixed bag of stuff - a dining table, a bed, a TV/video stand (brand new/ boxed), a printer a monitor and a scanner, several hundred copies of GQ, FMH, Arena etc, a couple of VHS recorders, some tumblers (boxed), a couple of bottled gas fires and a couple of boxes of ornaments. All perfectly usable or saleable.

I got hold of one of these Image and emailed a dozen or so potential recipients. Most didn't reply and the ones which did wanted to pick and choose what they'd take.

I could, over a period of time, leave it out for the increasing unreliable bulk uplift. I don't know what happens to it then. Landfill? The better stuff syphoned off to one of the second hand shops for a few quid to the bin men? I know some stuff left for bulk uplift doesn't sit on the pavement for long enough for the bin men to get there. White van man pops round in the middle of the night and takes anything they think they can re-sell.

I'd like to see some sort of set up run by the council or a group of charities which would uplift from your home to a distribution shed so interested parties could share it out there. I've not found such a system yet. Does it exist?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't think so Onny but you could always try this lot, they charge a minimum of £39 though!

http://www.junk-it-scotland.com/terms.htm
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:52 pm

lynnski wrote:I don't think so Onny but you could always try this lot, they charge a minimum of £39 though!

http://www.junk-it-scotland.com/terms.htm

Exactly. Fuck that.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:29 pm

BBC

Bottle recyclers 'could be paid'

People could be paid to return empty bottles under radical new Scottish Government plans aimed at boosting recycling levels.
The plans would see "deposit and return" schemes introduced, where shoppers would get money for bringing back bottles.
The ideas form part of a consultation on possible legislation which hopes to create a "zero waste" society.
Environment Secretary Richard Lochhead said fresh recycling ideas were needed.
Experts believe "deposit and return" schemes could significantly increase levels of recycling.

Imagescotland.gov.uk

"In Scotland, we estimate that currently around 30 per cent to 40 per cent of glass bottles are recycled and around 35 per cent of household plastic bottles are recycled, using existing arrangements such as bottle banks in the street or elsewhere and kerbside collections.
"While these figures are undoubtedly an improvement on where we once were, there is still more we can do.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:00 pm

onyirtodd wrote:I recently tried to donate the contents of one of my spare rooms to a number of charities in Glasgow. It was, admittedly, a mixed bag of stuff - a dining table, a bed, a TV/video stand (brand new/ boxed), a printer a monitor and a scanner, several hundred copies of GQ, FMH, Arena etc, a couple of VHS recorders, some tumblers (boxed), a couple of bottled gas fires and a couple of boxes of ornaments. All perfectly usable or saleable.

I got hold of one of these Image and emailed a dozen or so potential recipients. Most didn't reply and the ones which did wanted to pick and choose what they'd take.

I could, over a period of time, leave it out for the increasing unreliable bulk uplift. I don't know what happens to it then. Landfill? The better stuff syphoned off to one of the second hand shops for a few quid to the bin men? I know some stuff left for bulk uplift doesn't sit on the pavement for long enough for the bin men to get there. White van man pops round in the middle of the night and takes anything they think they can re-sell.

I'd like to see some sort of set up run by the council or a group of charities which would uplift from your home to a distribution shed so interested parties could share it out there. I've not found such a system yet. Does it exist?

If you still have stuff you are trying to get rid of, have you tried freecycle ( http://www.freecycle.com) It is v good but does mean different people taking different things. Rather than trying to get rid of everything at once it is sometimes better to post a few at a time.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:31 pm

ITEM 4

MOBILE PHONE RECYCLING

Purpose of Report
The purpose of this report is to consider whether to offer Glasgow residents the
opportunity to recycle their old mobile phones.

Recommendation
Committee is asked to consider the contents of this report.

1. INTRODUCTION
The purpose of this Paper is to determine whether Glasgow City Council wish to explore the
possibility of offering all Glasgow residents the opportunity to recycle their old mobile telephones.
2. PARTNERSHIP WORKING
At present there are a number of companies who offer schemes which will enable the recycling of
mobile phones. The aim of many of the schemes is to reuse as many mobile phones as possible and,
where this is not possible, the handsets can be broken down for component and materials recycling.
Essentially these types of schemes allow mobile phones to be introduced into developing countries
who are in need of affordable handsets. It also supports the environment by providing an easy and
free way to recycle unwanted mobile phones and sometimes accessories (including instruction
manuals, batteries, CDs and PDA devices) limiting the amount of landfilling of such devices.
Land and Environmental Services has received an initial approach from the Scottish company with
experience in running campaigns for businesses and charities in respect of the redemption of
unwanted mobile phones and this company are extremely interested in forming partnership with
Glasgow City Council for the purposes of recycling mobile phones.
3. AGE PROFILE OF CUSTOMERS
In establishing whether this would be a worthwhile exercise, it would be prudent to examine the age
profiles of customers who would be willing to utilise any cashback facilities available as part of any
mobile phone recycling campaign. In general terms, it is believed that the biggest turnover in mobile
phones is within the teenage and young adult population who are not always the main householders.
Any scheme is likely to generate income in terms of cashback for recycling the phones and it would
be necessary to determine how best to use this income. For example some companies provide a
charity link whereby donations are made according to the types and numbers of phones recycled.
4. CHARITABLE ORGANISATIONS
Any study would have to take into account what implications if any, there would be for any charitable
organisations.
5. DATA SECURITY
Data security would also have to be considered to ensure that SIM cards that may have been
inadvertently left in the handset are removed and securely stored prior to any phone being sent for
processing or destruction. Consideration would also require to be given to ensuring that when
handsets are refurbished all stored data is removed.
6. PROPOSED SCHEME
One method of recycling mobile phones is to provide householders with returnable envelopes which
would be designed in conjunction with Glasgow City Council. These envelopes could be distributed
by a variety of means such as direct mail, inserts in publications, display points at Council buildings
etc. Essentially householders would use their envelope to forward any unwanted mobile phone to the
partner organisation who would determine its value, resulting in some limited income. At present
there are a number of companies offering incentives to recycle mobile phones with handsets securing
average recycling prices of between £8 and £50 depending on the model of phone involved.
7. NEXT STEPS
Committee is asked to consider whether there is merit in officers from Land and Environmental
Services engaging with a number of companies offering this type of service to determine its viability
and to return to Committee with a further report in due course.
SERVICE IMPLICATIONS
Financial: There are no financial implications at this stage
Legal: Legal Services will be consulted prior to any proposals being adopted.
Personnel: None
Service Plan: None
Environmental: Increase recycling of mobile phones
ROBERT BOOTH
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
LAND AND ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES
26 November 2008
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:03 pm

I see 'waste conversion' is becoming big business in the private sector. A chappie not too far from us recently got granted a licence for a full facility. I'll be moving off my private water supply on to cooncil waater well before the facility is in operation. I'd rather pay tax than deal with cryptosporidium ta much.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:54 am

I recycled a mobile phone once...

My ex had given it to me, presumably to keep tabs. Then we had one row too many. I went to Cheddar and got nicely pished in the Bath Arms before wandering to the top of Cheddar Gorge in the wee small hours.

So I phoned my ex and did a bit of winding up before setting the phone free into the void whilst the phones were still connected. It's a 400 foot drop to the road below and I heard subsequently that a falling mobile develops a Stuka-like wail at the other end before cutting dead on impact.

The police spent some hours looking for my mortal remains and I had quite a bollocking from my local bobby later that morning.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:39 pm

scotland.gov.uk

Scotland's recycling performance
13/02/2009

On the same day that new figures showed further improvements in Scotland's recycling performance, a new website to aid local authorities do even better has been launched.

The Waste Aware Partners website, being run by Waste Aware Scotland, can also be accessed by businesses, community groups and other organisations, and will enable local authorities to share campaign materials, ideas and best practice.

Figures published today by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) show that Scottish local authorities are now collectively recycling and composting 32.9 per cent of municipal waste.

Waste Aware Scotland

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ecohandy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 pm

DO SOMETHING DRASTIC......CUT THE PLASTIC!!

Glasgow I need your help, this is a subject that we keep talking about time and time again and all other counties and countries seem to be sorting it apart from us. Wales has just moved to ban plastic bags and we are getting left behind. We can no longer leave it up to the supermarkets and high street stores to reduce giving away plastic bags we need to take the initiative.

Why do I need your help. I am opening up a shop in Glasgow which will be selling folding re-usable shopping bags. Well you might say to yourself whats so good about this. This will be the first shop on the UK solely to sell these type of bags and at present are only really available on the internet.

Products like these are a visual purchases, people only really buy them when they see them at the end of checkouts and dont go looking for them. This will change for Glasgow. I will be working with people like waste aware scotland and other organisations to make sure that Scotland does decrease the usage of plastic carrier bags.

There are many people that feel that this is not possible in Glasgow and will not work, what I need is for people to complete my short online survey to prove that it will. I would really appreciate if we can stick together and prove that Wales and other counties and countries can do something that we can't.

My survey will only take 3 minutes to do there's only a few questions and It can be everyones first step to rid Scotland of plastic carrier bags.

http://cuttheplastic.surveyconsole.com

Thanks very much

Antony
ecohandy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:22 am

Herald

Plastic bag use drops by 39 million

Shoppers and leading supermarkets in Scotland have cut the number of carrier bags they use once by 39 million in three years.

The 49% reduction achieved by Asda, the Co-op, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's, Somerfield, Tesco and Waitrose has been hailed by the Scottish Government, which said the target of halving the total had virtually been reached and made Scotland a UK leader in the campaign.

Environment Secretary Richard Lochhead said: "This is fantastic news and another major step towards a zero-waste Scotland. I'd like to thank every member of the public and all the retailers and their staff who helped us achieve this remarkable cut in carrier bag use.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:00 am

On the other Hand

BBC

Retailers miss plastic bag target

Efforts to cut by half the number of plastic carrier bags supermarkets give their customers have narrowly failed.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 am

The Asda self-checkout facility more or less insists that you use a plastic carrier bag, since you have to put the items on a weighing platform after you have scanned them and the starting weight has to be nil, which rules out my trusty backpack.

It allegedly adjusts for a non-nil starting weight, but I've yet to see this actually work.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)