Clyde Tunnel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alchemist » Tue May 10, 2005 12:28 pm

See the Clyde tunnel is back in the news once more

Would you like to smell coconut biscuits as you drive through the Clyde Tunnel in Glasgow?

Maybe you would rather see leprechauns, or favour having the inner walls lined with old CDs?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4530153.stm

It is 21ft below the surface of the river

Eeeeeckk!!!! 8O
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue May 10, 2005 12:41 pm

Does it really matter what they choose - a few months after it's done it will be wrecked by neds. :x
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 10, 2005 3:48 pm

I think some interesting graffiti by Rogue One would be a great idea, on a big scale i mean. As for the music, Im not so sure :?

The neds might even have some respect for that work
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Clyde tunnel. where no man has gone before.

Postby Doberman » Tue May 10, 2005 7:48 pm

A few years ago they decided that the Clyde Tunnel was to be upgraded. You may remember the closures and the walkways along the sides of the tunnel disappearing over the course of a year?

One consequence of this was that all the cables which ran under the walkway had to be re-routed. I was working in NADICS maintenance at the time and we had to go into the tunnel and find a now route for all the CCTV and comms cables.

The tunnel ventilation system consists of 3 chambers linked by louvre doors. These doors can be opened to crossfeed the airflow in the north or south tunnels. Entry is via a door from the north side of the tunnel under the control room. It goes into the centre chamber. For all you UE's out there, DON'T TRY TO GAIN ACCESS! The fans are safety interlocked and can't be run when the chamber is occupied. At least that's what they told us. When they opened the louvres, the fans came on automatically! As they began to spool up, I felt myself being lifted off my feet (I weighed 18 stone) The tunnel operator managed to get on the radio to the control room and get the fan shut down.

The photo is the South Plenum Chamber. The air from the tunnel is drawn up the space in the picture which is above the roadway. It can be exhausted to atmosphere or fed back into the other tunnel.

A scary 30 seconds! More pics to follow.
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

More Clyde Tunnel Pics

Postby Doberman » Tue May 10, 2005 8:05 pm

Here are some more photos of my adventure into the bowels of the Clyde Tunnel.

This is the chamber below the plant room, situated above the North Side of the tunnel. Big metal building behind the control room. Access is via a chamber cover which has to be lifted using a crane! Ladders down to a platform with a small railing on each side which leads to a vertical shaft for cables and services.

This picture is the bottom of one of those shafts. Access from the pedestrian tunnel.

Final picture is of the bottom of the tunnel bore looking to the South. The roadway is above.

Very interesting if scary day. None of the service lighting was working that day so we were in pitch black with one shitty wee torch between 6 of us! Health and Safety????

One interesting fact. The tunnel controller told me that the tide line near the middle of the pedestrian tunnels are where the water gets to in a sudden downpour when the pumps can't cope! Apparently it gets to around 5 feet in 10 minutes! All the roadways drain into the pedestrian tunnels and then into a sump where it's pumped back to the river.

Moral? Don't walk in it when it's raining. ::):
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue May 10, 2005 8:43 pm

Fascinating article Doberman 8)

I can feel the claustrophobia just looking at those pics.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Tue May 10, 2005 10:59 pm

I was actually wondering about the ventilation last night as I was driving through - the tunnel was fairly smoky, and I couldn't work out if it was as a result of a particularly belchy lorry, or two way traffic meaning fumes weren't getting a chance to be wafted in the same direction..
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby teclo » Fri May 13, 2005 8:02 pm

The film you are thinking about is The Maggie. It's a charming little film that has been on channel 4 a number of times.

Interesting in that it shows a fair amount of old Glasgow.

Crap, just realised there was more than one page to this _and_ someone had already mentioned the name of the film.....
teclo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JoeyCape » Sun May 15, 2005 2:39 am

Those pics look scary!! I've had a morbid fear/fascination for the tunnel since I was a kid. Reading Doberman's post and looking at the pics makes me realise the fear is justified.
JoeyCape
First Stripe
First Stripe

clyde tunnel

Postby kathyf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:00 pm

Hello, I wonder if any one can help? I am the leader of the Holdyourbreath Project, and am currently
negotiating with the police/fire dept/council to close one of the road tunnels for a public event to celebrate
50 years since the clyde tunnel was dug. I have heard that there was a banquet held in the clyde tunnel over
14 years ago ( I think to re-create Marc Brunel's tunnel banquet which celebrated his completion of the Thames tunnel - it still exists as part of the London underground) If I could get some details about this it may help me by providing a precedent
for our event.. anyone know anything about it? (You can check out the project on http://www.holdyourbreath.org)

thanks kathyf
kathyf
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: clyde tunnel

Postby OLDFART » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:50 pm

could have party in walkway, also could do with better quality of graffiti these days :mrgreen:

OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: clyde tunnel

Postby scratchnsniff » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi kathy,

sorry i cant help with any information regarding the closing of the tunnel previously, however I am just going to add my support for what is a superb project and one that i have been watching for a while (since i saw the banner over the tunnel advertising the project) and geniunely excited about the outcome. Although my vote for a jungle noise driving through.. was completely whitewashed by the underwater theme!

Good luck for permission to close one of the tunnels for the evening, hopefully ill be in attendance when this happens to take the walk down! after a few decades of driving through the tunnel, whilst holding my breath (i see this as a test of how old im getting.. glad i can still do it!), clutching the steering wheel with both hands and my face puffed up and bloated.. i look foward to driving through it to ambience, music and a background worth looking at!

Are you still running on time with the project? theres been little work recently and it seems like you have a lot to do in a short period!

and NO MORE having to turn that radio down as you get interference.. now the sounds will come through you radio! technology.. gotta love it.

good luck!
scratchnsniff
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Clyde Tunnel

Postby Verbal Kint » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:39 pm

Did anyone attend the walk that was held during the west end festival? I wanted to go but missed it. Damn shame because I live just round the corner from the north entrance.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Never knew about that VK, but we did a wander last year....>>Pics n fun comments here<<

If anyone fancies another wander we could arrange a 2nd wander including the places we went last year.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kathyf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:40 am

Hi - see my website about the clyde tunnel, I have become an inadvertent expert on the subject.
http://www.holdyourbreath.org

kathyf
kathyf
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)