One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby tobester » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:52 am

samscafeamericain wrote:
glasgowken wrote:It was introduced for the Blue Trains.
If I remember correctly it's meant to be a symbol of a pantograph (the thing on top of the train which collects the power) intersecting the Clyde.

Really, wow. I always thought it was directional arrows.

I always thought that too
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:02 am

tobester wrote:
samscafeamericain wrote:
glasgowken wrote:It was introduced for the Blue Trains.
If I remember correctly it's meant to be a symbol of a pantograph (the thing on top of the train which collects the power) intersecting the Clyde.

Really, wow. I always thought it was directional arrows.

I always thought that too

238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Naw it doesn't symbolise a bloke with his head in his hands ::):

Anyway, I dug the Glasgow Electric book out, in case anyone is humming and hawing, here's the text that refers to it.

Any design of the kind need not have a literal meaning, but those chevrons do possess a sort of heraldic meaning. The yellow chevron is the pantograph-that is the spring-hinged instrument on the top of the motor coaches through which the current is brought down from the overhead wires to the motors; the blue chevron can stand the converging banks of the River Clyde.

The later BR 'barbed wire' logo does symbolise two rails and direction (unless someone knows different :P ).
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:28 pm

I always got the pantograph bit but it's the first time that I have noticed the arrows, I think its a great logo and one that I miss I remember as a kid seeing it at Hyndland and Milngavie.

I have the Helensburgh Upper sign with the BR logo on it in my back garden would love a Blue Trains one to join it.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Great :D Can you post a photo ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:20 pm

glasgowken wrote:Great :D Can you post a photo ?

I'm on it GK will get one for you later. A bit wet outside just now and I am feeling lazy.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Verbal Kint wrote:
I have the Helensburgh Upper sign with the BR logo on it in my back garden would love a Blue Trains one to join it.

Could always buy whats left of the one at Summerlee, only 2 cars as they sold one to another company (i think the one that runs the orient express -dont quote me on it tho) as they needed the bogeys from it.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:32 pm

glasgowken wrote:Great :D Can you post a photo ?

Here it is GK,

In need of a good clean!

And before some smart ar*e says anything I did not buy it in PRIMARK
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:13 pm

So thats where NR left it ::):

Nice acquisition VK
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Thought id post these in here...

318 254 sitting on the tracks at Shields TMD, this was the train that crashed through the buffers at largs and derailed last year in the Anderston Tunnel

Looking up at 320309, in Shields having some work done on it, and having the GSM-R updated

Old 314212, Newish 320309 and Newest 334036 all in a row at Shields TMD

>>Full set of my visit to Shields TMD Here<<
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:58 pm

Interesting pics Tobester - thank you. I had the good fortune to be shown round Shields Road depot back in 1972/3 during the initial stages of WCML wiring. They'd brought up some AC locos for driver training and there was the odd 81 or 85 based there, running on the Gourock lines. I think that 87101 also ran on the North Bank about this time, reaching Helensburgh. Anyway - the staff kindly showed us around and we discussed the merits of Mk 1, Mk 2 and Mk 3a catenary. A great day which was rounded off splendidly by a riot on the platform at St Enoch's on the underground home in which my pal got punched on the jaw as the doors opened.

One thing that's always struck me about the livery on the 334s is that the blue stripe looks (to me anyway) very close to the original Caley Blue as applied to the old AM3s. It'd be nice to think this was a tribute of a kind to a very successful and much loved class. I well remember the blue/yellow Blue Train symbol way up on its pole at the stations, and also something of the excitement that came with the introduction of the Blue Trains. Never again will the public have the pleasure of seeing out the front over the driver's shoulder I fear. Technology advances and society regresses.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks Mac, i also remember the 303s/311s although never knew they were different until a few years ago ::):

Used to be great running up to the front of the train hoping that the driver had left the blinds up and there wasnt anyone already sitting there, AND who could forget the comfyness of the large settee style seats they had, bouncing up and down as the train headed to singer.

Few more for you..and the other train peeps too

BREL engraved step on 320309

Testing the train display on 318263

One for the old subway lovers too..Westinghouse Brake System on 318263
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 am

Get your photographs of the units in Crimson and Cream while you can, all Scottish based trains including SPTE units will be getting painted in the new Saltire Livery that can be seen on some 170s and the matching station branding that has been applied to a few Cathcart Circle stations.

Nice to see something worth posting about, hasn't beeen the same since that bunch of splitters ran off!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:56 pm

170434 is the main saltire branded train thats in service. Seen below.

Also as people may have noticed the stations are getting painted blue and then the new signage is up.
Exhibition Centre has been done, as has Drumchapel on the north clydfe/argyle electric lines, with more getting done weekly.

Although i feel that the demise of the current livery wont be as missed as the 'red' or 'blue' trains of the past. On an addition to Alycidons comment re the livery ALSO the 314s that run from central on the cathcart/newton/neilston lines are also on borrowed time, due for axing 2012 (i think) and replaced probably by the 320s currently on the north clyde doing airdrie/balloch and drumgelloch/helensburgh central. These units havent been that bad as they are currently 29yrs old.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm all for the livery change. Scotrail Wha Hae! The current version of 'blood & custard' on the emus is a bit of a nonentity I feel. The old Caley blue with black & yellow stripe, plus white roof on the 303s when introduced was exceptionally fine though and I'd have loved to see it come back. I heard that this was in fact an option when the 'Govan Red' was being replaced on the 303s in their final years, but that the Carmine'n'Cream won the vote instead. What I'd also like to see back most of all is the BR logo (although it's still around in various places) - especially on a renationalised BR.

Sorry to hear the 314s are heading for the final bufferstops in the not too distant future. They suddenly disappeared from the Motherwell/Lanark services with no warning when the 318s infiltrated. I know that there's a variant of the 350 being brought in for the Drumgelloch-Haymarket electrification (and also for the Glasgow Airport extension?) so I suppose they'll replace the 320s being cascaded to the South Side. It all changes too fast these days.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)