Pollokshaws

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Pollokshaws

Postby mr moto » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Still the possibility of a June blowdown? That's a nuisance. I was planning to go to Somerset in the next week or so to retrieve some essential equipment.[/quote]
Reenie , i think it will be here for a while yet , as a local resident they have told me that i would have at least a month,s written notice of any demolition date . so i will keep you posted .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Wonderful! Thank you. :D I shall book my ticket for Somerset in that case, and now, since I'm in the right frame of mind, I shall crack that bottle of Orchard Reserve cider that's been chilling in the fridge all week.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Reenie Bujman wrote:I have a few vantage points lined up, but much depends on the exclusion zone.

Somebody posted the exclusion zone earlier in the thread. Sorry but I is having a 'lazy Saturday' and that includes trawling back through the thread to find it for your sorry arse! :wink: :D

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:02 am

Peekay wrote:Sorry but I is having a 'lazy Saturday' and that includes trawling back through the thread to find it for your sorry arse! :wink: :D

PK

Hey, does your lazy Saturday spill into Sunday? :wink:

Mine does. "Cassn't, cass? Cidered up..."
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deevlash » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Official update, theyre coming down on the 20th july (fair sunday), evacuation starts at 8 am and everyone should be allowed back by 2pm according to the letter I got today from the demolition people.
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Top shout! :D

No need for me to cancel Somerset leave, then.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Reenie Bujman wrote:
Peekay wrote:Sorry but I is having a 'lazy Saturday' and that includes trawling back through the thread to find it for your sorry arse! :wink: :D

PK

Hey, does your lazy Saturday spill into Sunday? :wink:

Pah....I've never spilled a thing in my life....more like "poured" into Sunday and I ain't talking about raindrops either

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deevlash » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:25 pm

apparently their going to clear up all the dust and crap themselves.
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:06 pm

We have established a thread devoted to the Shawbridge demolition which continues here:

Shawbridge demolition thread >>
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:28 am

evening times

Future’s grim for the Shawlands Arcade

Image Image

FOR years it has been at the centre of calls for a major revamp. But despite action plans, the launch of a steering group and even new owners, Shawlands Arcade is today still nearly half empty with rows of To Let signs.
Now community leaders are calling for the centre - intended to be the heart of its bustling community - to finally be demolished.
Big names such as Sainsbury's, Radio Rentals and Carphone Warehouse as well as independent retailers, including a record shop and a sports store, have moved out, blaming the outdated look of the centre for the lack of trade.
Hopes were raised when the mall was bought by Property firm AWG in 2006 for more than £21million.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:01 am

there has been ...talk... about demolishing the arcade for almost 20 years now . with the current economic slowdown i do not see anything happening here for a good few years yet . sadly i expect that the whole site will eventualy be swallowed up by one of the big supermarkets . :(
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 am

i work for M&S and was having a conversation at head office last year with a chap who looks after property development.When i told him that i lived in shawlands he told me a tale that made my blood boil.Apparently they approached the centre owners to open a Simply Food store where the old Sainsburys was up to the book shop on the left.They were told no that it would be lease only which isnt the M&S way,they like to buy the site.They then offered to spend £3 million to develop the rest of the centre if they could buy the site.Told no again because it didnt fit with the owners strategy,hence now there is an M&S opening in Giffnock as East Renfrewshire Council found them a site(the old Safeway) and not in Shawlands, the original choice.The knock on effect of this store could have been fantastic for Shawlands as i am sure you can imagine.Until a desicion is made on the future of the centre the whole of Shawlands shopping will continue to suffer until all the empty units are filled with pound shops.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:53 am

i knew that M&S have tried for years to get a place in shawlands arcade , but this is typical of property developers , they are perfecly happy to sit on a site and let it rot until they think they can sell the whole lot for a daft amount of money . this has already gone on for year,s . maybe the council should slap a compulsory purchase order on the site if the developers are going to do nothing with it . sadly past experience shows me that absolutely bugger all will happen . :roll:
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:31 pm

mr moto wrote:maybe the council should slap a compulsory purchase order on the site if the developers are going to do nothing with it

That would only happen if what was proposed to go there had no benefit to the local community. Brown envelopes must be scarce.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:55 pm

it looks even worse than originally thought .AWG the property company that purchased the centres core business is buying derelict or semi derelict land and readying it for,yes you guessed it,luxury flats! Just what Shawlands needs.In retail circles there is a theory ,with supporting evidence throughout the UK, called the Empty Effect.Centre puts rents up to attract better shops ,people pull out,nobody wants next to empty unit,they pull out,centre panics,offers short term leases at discount prices,pound shops move in,the last of the retailers move out.This has probably gone off thread a bit now so i apologise,shocking behaviour for a new guy.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects