Revealed by Demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Revealed by Demolition

Postby gap74 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Quite often noticed that when something gets demolished, especially in the dense environs of the city centre, you get an interesting vista of stuff behind it, so I've started trying to document these views, since they may only be around for a short time.

First up is the Standard Life Building at the corner of West Nile and West Regent Streets. Took this snap the other day:

And then noticed this behind it:

An older acquaintance of mine says he thinks it's an old hall that was entered from Bath St, rather than being attached to the wee Greek Thomson building it abuts on West Nile St (the City Barbers building). That seems to be borne out by aerial views on Live Earth, which also appear to show a partially glazed roof. He remembers attending union meetings in it, and thinks it might have been called the Central Hall.

From what I can tell, the building currently houses the offices and is the hall of the St George's Tron church round the corner, and is listed as 25 Bath Street. Anyone been in, know what it looks like inside? Lovely leaded windows, can't help but wonder if the interior is similarly decorative.

*Edit* I don't have my Glasgow edition of Buildings of Scotland handy, but it's on p.225 of that, according to the Dictionary of Scottish Architects website. The hall is an addition of 1894 by James Thomson, his DSA entry is here:

http://www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa/architect ... id=M000758
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Revealed by Demolition

Postby onyirtodd » Wed May 07, 2008 3:56 pm

gap74 wrote: .................
An older acquaintance of mine says he thinks it's an old hall that was entered from Bath St, rather than being attached to the wee Greek Thomson building it abuts on West Nile St (the City Barbers building). That seems to be borne out by aerial views on Live Earth, which also appear to show a partially glazed roof. He remembers attending union meetings in it, and thinks it might have been called the Central Hall.

I think your pal is right. I reckon there's an etched glass panel (above the main door) readin Central Hall or Halls.

gap74 wrote: From what I can tell, the building currently houses the offices and is the hall of the St George's Tron church round the corner, and is listed as 25 Bath Street. Anyone been in, know what it looks like inside? Lovely leaded windows, can't help but wonder if the interior is similarly decorative.

I was in the place years ago when my judo class relocated from the old YMCA building on Bothwell Street but I was too young to be paying attention.

St George's Tron services are being held there which the church is being renovated. I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome on a Sunday morning if you want a look at the place.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:02 pm

onyirtodd wrote:St George's Tron services are being held there which the church is being renovated. I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome on a Sunday morning if you want a look at the place.

He-he, whilst hardly a demon, I'm pretty sure that a five second appraisal would be enough to convince them that I'm a heathen of some sorts and should be cast into the street...!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed May 07, 2008 4:09 pm

gap74 wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:St George's Tron services are being held there which the church is being renovated. I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome on a Sunday morning if you want a look at the place.

He-he, whilst hardly a demon, I'm pretty sure that a five second appraisal would be enough to convince them that I'm a heathen of some sorts and should be cast into the street...!

A couple of coppers on the plate and you'll be welcomed like the prodigal son.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Revealed view

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby UG » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Demolition of parts of the former BBC Scotland premises at Queen Margaret Drive have revealed a gem from Mackintosh.

UG
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:09 am

excellent!
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby dimairt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:06 pm

I meant to add to Gap 74's post an age ago but....the snaps below were taken on Doors Open Day last year. The first shows - just - the view from inside, the second is a detail of the rather lovely ceiling. The Church members on duty for Doors Open were unfailingly polite and welcoming - as were their counterparts at the Garnethill Synagogue - even to a heathen like me. I look forward to the reopening of their church.

Le durachd,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:22 pm

What a lovely little hidden gem of an interior, and not even listed, as far as I can tell!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Stunning!

There is a nice gap on the clydeside at the moment revealing some converted loft style flats that look pretty cool - i bet they'll be upset when a behemoth of a tower goes up in front of them :mrgreen:
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 pm

gap74 wrote:First up is the Standard Life Building at the corner of West Nile and West Regent Streets. Took this snap the other day:

Nearly there, how time flies:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:18 pm

They don't take long throwing them up do they. I drove past that point next to the old Odeon last monday and it didn't seem that imposing. There was some lane restriction but the height.........perhaps I'm wrong.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects