Have a look in Coffee Lounge for
Where did ye get yer claes fae?

To see more on this subject
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:12 pm

I wonder if this was the inspiration for the Krazy house shop?

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.ph ... mp%3Bl%3Dy

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deebers » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:13 pm

Does anyone know when the Krazy House closed?

My brother used to take me as a treat and I remember things like the penny machines where there were scenes from haunted houses with monsters appearing from trapdoors and stuff (you still get these in Madam Tussauds), and I'm sure there were automatons too. I remember the model trains but am struggling to remember anything else. I was pretty young though!

As a child I could not remember it being a clothes store - they wouldn't have interested me enough!

I do remember spotting a shop for "Big People" (near where the Krazy House was) where there were some model soldiers in the window - which I recognised from the Krazy House. This was a wee bit later after the big store closed.

I wish I could be hypnotised to go back in time to see it again!
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:58 pm

Somebody must have this stuff, i hope its not been trashed :(
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Mon May 15, 2006 2:27 pm

Thank's to Red Kola for pointing the way to this thread. I couldn't find anything on the subject by searching last night, for some Krazy reason. Glad to see I wasn't imagining those dancing girls in cages at least.

Shame nobody's got any pics of the shop interior. They must exist in an archive someplace, I'm sure somewhere as conciously designed as that shop would have had a visual record made.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 15, 2006 2:58 pm

I'm sure somewhere as conciously designed as that shop would have had a visual record made.

I am not so sure it was. An old mate of mine helped clear the place out. I have the feeling that the attractions were loan to display in The Krazy House and thus were returned to to the owner. They were not there when we had a look at what was left. Mind you by that time little of any value was left.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:17 am

I remember the Krazy House

Wasn't there a huge display case just as you went up the stairs that had a huge collection of Meccano Fairground rides and you pressed a button or something and it started to move.

And there was also the great big brass man or robot at the bottom entrance way I remember that because I was always amazed at how shiny it was.

I wonder where these things are now?

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue May 16, 2006 9:01 am

I'm sure the peoples palace had some stuff on disply from it many years ago. i might be wrong though PP change round their displays quite often. someone from the PP usualy turns up with camera if a particular recogniseble establishment of glasgows is closing down.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby amb » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:21 pm

As far as I remember the Crazy House with the Go Go dancers first started just a wee bit along from the Glasgow Cross in the Gallowgate near the Ham store and a record shop called either Collumbs or Gollumbs may have spelled name wrong that long ago, I know this because I lived in Schipka Pass near the G/Cross and my Husband lived up the Close next to it then it moved to the G/Cross

Amb
amb
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: KRAZY HOUSE

Postby romaurie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:46 pm

The Krazy House was owned an run by Aex Duman, a relation of the owners of "City Tailors". I visited in 1982, they(Alex and his colleagues) thought I was a long-lost relation from Israel.I was from Bournemouth but my fathers family were from Glasgow.It seems they had not been in touch for many years.Alex extended an invitation to our B'mth branch of the family to visit.So Alex gave us a guided tour.He had a hobby for many years collecting unusual toys and "objet art" from around the world.He also had an amazing "Ham Radio" set-up" in his office upstairs from the shop.
I remenber a large polished wood Tortoise with a panel on the back when pressed operated a music box with quite a collection of tunes[all clockwork]. He told us about the "Go-Go" dancers and how popular it was when the pubs closed.
In 1985 I came to live/work in Eilat Israel. I tried to make contact with family members from Glasgow but the branch of the family {Duman} was very large in Glasgow compared to Bournemouth only 2 entries in the telephone book. One member of the family replied but I was not familiar with the extended family members [all "Dumen", the plural of "Duman"} {family joke} he mentioned.
While I was in Glasgow I also visited a great uncle, Max Duman. He had a framed picture of his son in a kilt at his Barmitzvah.Now that was original!
I took a number of photos of the exhibits, I will have to dig them out.
Now I stumbled on this site because my wife and son are visiting the UK this year before my son does his 3 years army service here.They want to visit Scotland so I told them about my 1 visit in 1982 and thought I'd look up "The Krazy House" on Google.
If anyone knows of any members of the "Duman" family that know Stan and Ruth Duman formerley of Bournemouth it would be nice to make contact.

Laurence Lee Duman {Laurie}
689/14
Eilat
Israel.
romaurie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gap74 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 pm

You know, no matter how often we're told that Glasgow is the no.1 retail city in Britain after London, and no matter how many shiny shopping malls and extensions to shopping malls they build, and no matter how skanky the council think Paddy's Market is, I lament the loss of independent institutions like the Krazy House and Schipka Pass and Paddy's (although Paddy's was never Paddy's in my household, it was the Briggait...)

Like them or lump them, they added a bit of character where companies and councils these days seem only to want sanitised conformity and blandness. I realise there can be rose-tinted nostalgia about such things, making it easier to overlook the bad parts of them, but I can't help but feel that the world is a duller place without them.

Guess it's the same in most cities these days though. Hey-ho.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:12 pm

deebers wrote:I do remember spotting a shop for "Big People"

'High & Mighty'?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:40 pm

HollowHorn wrote:'High & Mighty'?

A shop for the confident junky ::):
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:48 am

romaurie wrote:The Krazy House was owned an run by Aex Duman, a relation of the owners of "City Tailors". I visited in 1982, they(Alex and his colleagues) thought I was a long-lost relation from Israel.I was from Bournemouth but my fathers family were from Glasgow.It seems they had not been in touch for many years.Alex extended an invitation to our B'mth branch of the family to visit.So Alex gave us a guided tour.He had a hobby for many years collecting unusual toys and "objet art" from around the world.He also had an amazing "Ham Radio" set-up" in his office upstairs from the shop.
I remenber a large polished wood Tortoise with a panel on the back when pressed operated a music box with quite a collection of tunes[all clockwork]. He told us about the "Go-Go" dancers and how popular it was when the pubs closed.
In 1985 I came to live/work in Eilat Israel. I tried to make contact with family members from Glasgow but the branch of the family {Duman} was very large in Glasgow compared to Bournemouth only 2 entries in the telephone book. One member of the family replied but I was not familiar with the extended family members [all "Dumen", the plural of "Duman"} {family joke} he mentioned.
While I was in Glasgow I also visited a great uncle, Max Duman. He had a framed picture of his son in a kilt at his Barmitzvah.Now that was original!
I took a number of photos of the exhibits, I will have to dig them out.
Now I stumbled on this site because my wife and son are visiting the UK this year before my son does his 3 years army service here.They want to visit Scotland so I told them about my 1 visit in 1982 and thought I'd look up "The Krazy House" on Google.
If anyone knows of any members of the "Duman" family that know Stan and Ruth Duman formerley of Bournemouth it would be nice to make contact.

Laurence Lee Duman {Laurie}
689/14
Eilat
Israel.

Hi,

One of my work colleagues once told me that it was his family who owned Krazy House. I will email him details of the names you mention to see if they ring a bell.

Regards

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

From the Auld Glesga Trams & Buses thread.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects