Fairfield Farmhouse

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Fairfield Farmhouse

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks Motman, i note what you say about the the Hidden agenda folks, the artists impresions are not set in stone at this time and moment but just to give an illustration of what could happen, the 200k funding that has ben secured is what will be used for the project design purposes and consultation from the people of govan from across a wide array of community and educational institutions within govan.

As you say time will tell but hopefully this will come to fruit as to kick start the rest of Elderparks regeneration in the future. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Residents back £4.5m revival

A £4.5million plan to transform a derelict 300-year-old Glasgow building has won overwhelming backing from locals.

Fairfield Farmhouse in Govan is at the centre of proposals to develop new community facilities.

More than 80% voted in favour of regenerating the dilapidated structure in Elder Park in a consultation of 1000 residents and workers.

Now Linthouse Urban Village, the organisation heading up the project, will canvass businesses and youth groups in the area interested in being part of the development.

LUV, part of Linthouse Housing Association, has identified two potential partners - homeless charity Glasgow City Mission and the Scottish School of Herbal Medicine.

The city mission, based in Elderpark Workspace, is interested in running a family centre on the site to offer affordable childcare.

The herbal school, currently on Holmfauld Road in Linthouse, is a non-profit enterprise which teaches holistic medicine.

Ingrid Campbell of LUV said talks with both organisations were at an early stage.

She added: "The main thing is to get the derelict part of the park - the farmhouse - used again.

"We don't want to see this fine B-listed building disappear. The next stage is to find organisations that would be included in the development."

LUV has been awarded £200,000 from the Big Lottery Fund to develop its proposal -- which would cost at least £4.5m - before taking it to Glasgow City Council which owns the house and park.

Communities Scotland gave LUV £30,000 to carry out the consultation which showed that as well as nursery and educational facilities, a concern was providing activities for young people.

Ms Campbell said: "We will be approaching youth groups and associations in the area with a view to being involved in the development."

A council spokesman said: "We are aware of the ongoing development proposals and the recent consultation.

"However, we have to reserve our judgment until we see what the final proposal will be."

Publication date 10/03/08
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:39 pm

I signed the petition against it last week.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:47 pm

If the Farmhouse is on the north west corner of the park, see the below photos from the mid '60's, if it's not, I'll be :oops:

Is this the wee path from Drive Rd. that you wrote about, Dugald? (From a map of Govan 1909)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Good photies o' Govan at the Linthouse end, HH! The path going northwest towards the intersection at Drive Rd and Govan Rd is probably the "wee path" that I spoke about, but it wasn't any smaller really than any of the other entrances into the park. The farmhouse that I recall would be in the pictures you sent, but I'm not exactly sure which of the buildings was the farmhouse. I recall it being surrounded by trees. I don't know what the complex of buildings is between the pond and the farmhouse area. I recognize the tower surrounded by trees, in fact this I think is what I thought was the farmhouse, but I have a feeling that I'm wrong. The "boathouse" at the pond stands out well... wonder if it'll ever again be the busy wee spot that it once was, with racing yachts sporting 6 feet high masts. Nah, I guess if ever they have boat races they will be power boats!

Have you noticed in the early map of the park the great variety of geometric shapes in the design: straight lines, circles, semi-circles, perpendicular axes, ellipse... they must have had a draughtsman from Fairfield's or Stephens' to plan the layout!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:01 am

You know Mori, when I think of a sum of money like £4.5 million, I think in terms of having enough money to build the big Queen Mary, but here we are talking about an amount of money to develop a corner of the Elder Park. Yes, I know only too well how this £ has changed, but even thinking in terms of a more realistic £-value, it still seems a lot for just a corner of a park. Anyway it's good to see the plans are still on the burner. I might mention that the two potential partners mentioned ( homeless charity Glasgow City Mission and the Scottish School of Herbal Medicine) aren't exactly top-o'-the heap in Glasgow's financial circles. Not to worry, the £ 200,000 from the Big Lottery Fund and the £ 30000 from The Communities Scotland, are certainly steps in the direction and amounts not to be sneezed at!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fairfield HQ

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:53 pm

The dilapidated former offices of one of the Clyde's great shipbuilding firms has secured almost £500,000 to allow its conversion to a business centre.

It is hoped the A-listed red sandstone former Fairfield Company shipyard office building on the south bank of the Clyde will become one of the landmarks in the proposed Govan Conservation Area after being awarded a share of more than £1.6m from Historic Scotland.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2160457.0.500_000_to_convert_Clyde_shipyard_office.php
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fairfield HQ

Postby Dugald » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
The dilapidated former offices of one of the Clyde's great shipbuilding firms has secured almost £500,000 to allow its conversion to a business centre.quote]
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2160457.0.500_000_to_convert_Clyde_shipyard_office.php

I recall this building very well. Imagine it being called "dilapidated", last time I was in Govan it was still a fine-looking building... and just a hop, skip, 'n a jump, from the Fairfield Farm. This is where all the young Govan boys hoped to find a job as a draughtsman. I was inside it once, but i can't recall why; anyway, this was as close as i ever got to being inside a shipyard.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Were you not at the launch of the Queen Mary? 8O :P
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 am

"Were you not at the launch of the Queen Mary? "

HH, I can only guess that you're addressing this question to me. No, i wasn't at the launching of the Queen Mary... it wasn't launched in Govan you know! Anyway, I saw the launching of the Beatty, (actually the Howe when commissioned), from one of the Govan ferries, but I still never managed to get inside a shipyard.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fairfield Company shipyard office building

Postby Mori » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Great news for the Fairfield shipyard offices. :D

I can remember this building well when i was a youngster, my dad had a shop in Shaw st across from Fairfields, when the workmen came in half of their faces were black, i always wonderd why!!?? in later years i realized it was the welders masks leaving a half and half outline. :D

Good an ye Historic Scotland... now get us some money for the Lyceum cinema which needs funded badly for a revamp.

Historic Scotland

A bright new future awaits the former Fairfield Company shipyard office building in Govan as one of the projects to share more than £1.6 million from Historic Scotland.

The A-listed red sandstone building has fallen into disrepair since it became redundant in 2001. Govan Workspace will use the £443,642 to convert it into a business centre at the heart of the proposed Govan Conservation Area.

Culture Minister Linda Fabiani MSP said: “Govan’s shipbuilding past is firmly tied to Scotland’s development as an industrial nation and identity. It represents our aptitude for engineering, ingenuity and craftsmanship. I am delighted that the office building is to be developed into a centre for business that will bring investment to the area.

“Scotland’s heritage is rich and varied and it should be celebrated, but I also believe it is crucial that this is done by embracing what that heritage stands for and continuing to utilise it whenever possible. These grant awards will see real benefits for communities across the country and to the nation as a whole.”

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: 'THE LUV FARM'

Postby sarahfindlay » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Mori wrote:THE 'LUV FARM'...THINK YOU ARE A BIT PREMATURE MORI, TOBE POSTING THIS AS'SOON TO BE'?: THERE IS WIDESPREAD OPPOSITION TO A DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SIGNIFICANT SCALE IN THE PARK - SUCH DEVELOPMENT WOULD REQUIRE THE DEED OF GIFT OF MRS ELDER, WHO BOUGHT THE LAND FOR THE POPLE OF GOVAN, TO BE OVERTURNED: AND WOULD VERY MUCH AFFECT THE FEEL OF THE PARK - AND THIS DEVELOPMENT WONT SEE ANY RENOVATION OR RESTORATION OF THE PARK ITSELF...THE FRIENDS OF ELFDER PARK OPPOSE THE DEVELOPMENT AS DOES GOVAN COMMUNITY COUNCIL. THERE IS SUPPORT AND DESIRE TO SEE THE FARMHOUSE ITSELF RENOVATED, RECOGNITION OF ITS HISTORIC VALUE ......ODD THAT ONE OF THESE DRAWINGS HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN AT ANY OF THE CONSULTATIONS, WHERE THE SCALE OF THE DEVLOPMENT HAS NEVER BEEN IDENTIFIED..ALL VERY VAGUE....THESE PICS SHOW A PRETTY BIG DEVELOPMENT....YOU MUST KNOW A LOT ABOUT IT AS BACK IN 06 YOU POSTED IT WAS TO BE A DIGITAL MEDIA CENTRE - IN FACT HLF WOULDNT ACCEPT A PROPOSAL THEN THEN BECAUSE UNDER THE TERMS OF THE ORIGINAL DEED OF GIFT COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY ISNT ALLOWED: AS GIFTED PARKLAND THERE IS AN ARGUMENT THE PARK SHOULD BE PART OF THE COMMON GOOD...AS GOVAN MOVES TO ACQUIRE CONSERVATOIN STATUS, AND THE PARK FALLS IN THAT AREA, TO BUILD A DEVELOPMENT OF THIS TYPE WOULD NOT BE IN KEEPING WITH THE HISTORICAL USE OR KEEPING OF THE PARK - LETS LOOK TO SEEK INVESTMENT TO MAKE IT WHAT IT WAS - A THRIVING, COMMUNITY MEETING PLACE, WITH LOVELY PLANTING, A PLACE OF SAFETY TO RELAX AND FOR KIDS TO PLAY, FAMILIES TO WALK......MRS ELDER GOT IT RIGHT 'FOR HEALTHFUL RECREATION'

An abandoned farmhouse in the corner of Elder Park in Linthouse will soon become the restored centre-piece of an urban farmyard development, introducing 5 new contemporary barns to the park.

The farmyard re-creates the original site use before Linthouse, Govan and shipbuilding enveloped the area due to the contemporary history of shipbuilding on the Clyde.

The new buildings will accommodate a school for herbal medicine, an organic food store, a crèche, café with facilities for children, a childrens’ safety education centre, an office for the council park ranger and an overseeing farmhouse building for the LUV Firm who will manage the farm.

The barn form makes a strong visual reference to traditional farm buildings while drawing inspiration from 20th Century industrial shed buildings located in the shipyard adjacent.

The buildings will re-use materials found on site, re-cycling stone, brick and timber into gabio

sarahfindlay
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 pm

:D
ET

£2m community hub for city’s ‘forgotten’ park

NEW life is being breathed into one of Glasgow's "forgotten" parks.
Elder Park in Govan opened in 1855 but local people insist it has been virtually ignored for many years.
All that is about to change as a range of new ventures are either under way or in the pipeline.
The largest is a £2million gardening and healthy living project planned by Linthouse Housing Association.
It involves transforming a derelict former B-listed farmhouse, believed to be the oldest building in Govan, in the park into a community hub.
Ingrid Campbell, Linthouse Urban Village co-ordinator, said: "The city council approached the housing association and asked us if there was anything we could do with the farmhouse.
"We've been working on a proposal for two years which involves reinstating the building to its former glory."
The plans include a small museum with a display of local artefacts, a meeting room, office space, a botanical glasshouse and a family-friendly cafe with play area, and toilets.
One of the outhouses, which will have a roof garden, would have seven work spaces aimed at creative or community activities.
And there will be a market garden area with polytunnels and raised beds which would be run by local organisations involved in community regeneration, local groups or volunteers.
There will also be a children's secret garden or a sensory garden and an orchard garden, while a paved central courtyard will provide a space for events such as a Christmas market.
The housing association hopes the Lottery and Historic Scotland will help fund the work.
Ms Campbell said: "Elder Park will have facilities and activities which will make it the hub of the community and somewhere for people of all ages to visit."
Gordon Mackay, chairman of Friends of Elder Park, said: "This is a park that seems to have been forgotten."
A spokesman for the city council, which owns the park, said: "The council has taken a central role in the conservation and regeneration of the Govan area, including making it a conservation area taking in Elder Park.
"We've also announced a scheme to release vacant property, such as the farmhouse."

Publication date 10/02/09
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:05 pm

ET

COUNCILLORS will decide today on £2m plans to transform Elder Park in Govan.
If they give it the go-ahead the make-over will see the "forgotten" park turned into a gardening and healthy living oasis.
And a derelict B-listed former farmhouse in the park, believed to be the oldest building in Govan, will be turned into a community hub.
The project is being planned by Linthouse Housing Association.

Item 2A (33 pages)

APPLICATION 09/00248/

DC DATE VALID 29.01.2009

SITE ADDRESS
Elder Park Govan Road Glasgow G51 4AA

PROPOSAL
Use of former parks depot as community gardening and health living project including refurbishment of existing farm building to provide offices, cafe and meeting rooms, erection of new community building to provide flexible office/workshop spaces and teaching kitchen, siting of two polytunnels, formation of yard with accesss/egress to Govan Road and associated landscaping works.

APPLICANT Linthouse Housing Association 1 Cressy Street Glasgow G51 4RB

AGENT DO-Architecture Ltd 139 Stockwell Street GLASGOW G1 4LR

WARD NO(S) 05, Govan COMMUNITY COUNCIL 02_073, Govan

CONSERVATION AREA Govan LISTED B

ADVERT TYPE Bad Neighbour Development PUBLISHED 6 February 2009

CITY PLAN Green Space

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:06 pm

ET

‘Forgotten’ park to become oasis of healthy living

Elder Park in Govan is to be transformed after objections to the development were withdrawn

PART of a run-down city park that had been branded as "forgotten" will be transformed under newly approved plans.
Elder Park in Govan, which opened in 1855, is set to become a healthy living oasis after redevelopment by Linthouse Housing Association.
The £2million scheme had attracted criticism from the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland and Govan Community Council because it involves the renovation of a run-down farmhouse building that is B-listed.
But local councillor Allison Hunter, who sits on Glasgow City Council's planning committee, which yesterday approved the development, said the issues that prompted objections had now been resolved.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects