soundtrack of glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Get out of my Gig !!!!

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:19 am

Doorstop wrote:

One of the unfortunate band members nervously stammered "But ... but we're Deacon Blue."

Jimmy went apoplectic and screamed "DEACON BLUE?? YE'LL BE F*CKIN' BLACK AN' BLUE IF YE GET TAE THE TAP O' THESE STAIRS WITHOOT A F*CKIN' TICKET!!"

*true story*

I witnessed as similar thing a few years ago, with a distinct Glasgow connection.
I was in the Joiners Arms in Southampton, a grotty, shitty little pub in a shitty area of the town. Somehow it had become a 'must play' venue for up and coming but not quite made it bands on the national circuit.
Anyway I had been invited along by a chum to see a band I had never heard of at that time (but was guaranteed to be up my street) and we proceeded to get as drunk as possible on arrival. A small bar outside the only slightly larger stage room.
The usual misery on the door took delight in the tickets only routine but was clearly letting in his mates and one or three underage types. Eventually we were all standing nose to neck with the next man and he started to turn people away.
You guessed it. 5 young ( and by god they were young) lads tried to get in to be told that they were too young even beyond a joke to get in. "We're the band !" "Fuck off son" etc etc etc....

Eventually the convinced someone round the back door or something and took the stage, they were right up my street and made a lot of fans that night. Step forward - THE COSMIC ROUGH RIDERS
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lefty » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:37 am

The song that I associate most with Glasgow is by Glaswegian band Mogwai. The song is called Tracy. It gives me the same feeling as a trip on the M8 through Glasgow at night, blurred city lights and all that..
Lefty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: soundtrack of glasgow

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:29 pm

Rather than start a new thread I thought I should post here about some of the records I have from Glasgow Bands.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Nice idea Alex and some good and not so good memories. :D I must get scanning and bore you all.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:24 pm

Can't wait to see what you have in your collection JR.

The one that I have difficulty rememering is Restricted code. I can't remember where I heard about them or why I bought the single. Unfortunately I can't play it just now as my record player is up in the loft.

All the others good and bad I remember buying and sadly why in some cases :oops:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 pm

Oh I remember Restricted Code. Unfortunately I gave away all of my record collection in 1991 (long story) apart from a few cherished singles which I must look out. Watch this space tomorrow.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Josef » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:53 am

JohnR wrote:Oh I remember Restricted Code. Unfortunately I gave away all of my record collection in 1991 (long story) apart from a few cherished singles which I must look out. Watch this space tomorrow.

I still have a 12" ep Glasgow band compilation featuring Restricted Code, The Alleged and the dire Joy Division copyists Positive Noise (starring the Middleton brothers).

Don't have a scanner though, you'll be glad to hear.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:10 am

Bob McBean who worked with Glasgow died of cancer last week and was buried on Tuesday.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks for passing on this information Dex.

I will let Brian Geary know. If he doesn't know already.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:56 am

Nice posts Alex, yer Aztec Camera Mattress of Wire single's worth about £100 now (see Glasgow's rock n roll forum for others)

How about James King and Lonewolves "I don't care if you live or die" as the greatest Glasgow Hardman song ever written? (And written by a band composed entirely of real Glasgow Hardmen).

This impinges on another forum here, Songs with Glasgow placenames in the title or some such....it's from years back.

So
Killermount Street by Aztec Camera,
Headlights on the Parade by The Blue Nile (and hey! There's a red car in the fountain! Remember Alice Undergrounds?)
Rainin' on Jocelyn Square by Love and Money
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:25 pm

I did a lot of recording with the Lonewolves drummer and he was a real lovely pussycat. I can't remember his name now though. :?
John
-
-

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:54 pm

We did a gig with them when they'd reformed a week after the bass player had just got out of jail for GBH. They were nice enough to us but fought amongst themselves a tad. In fact the bass player hit the singer over the back of the heed with his bass halfway through their set. Amazingly, the singer carried on after he'd come too.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun May 18, 2008 5:18 pm

I found this
while looking to see if any of my singles have a shop/ price stamp.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby menziespandd » Sat May 24, 2008 8:28 pm

tinsel town in the rain has allways been a favourite,but then mother glasgow is not too bad either but what about something by johnie macilhone... like long white car ,sung by the famous glasgow band hipsway,rather than the dundonian rangers fans of deacon blue....who i rather liked singing dignity....a real 80's anthem for us scots....
menziespandd
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lone Groover » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Wee Gerry

"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)