Gangs of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Gangs of Glasgow

Postby BadBoyBear » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:11 pm

Main gang near me is Dennistoun Monks.

Ma Da has often bin a victim of the Haghill Powery as they have often thrown stuff at him including hitting him wi ginger among other things. If I go wi ma Da into Powery territory they leave him alone. They dont even verbally abuse him. They dont even touch me if I go into thier turf on ma own. I wonder if its something to do wi the time an idiot fae the powery pulled a knife on ma cuz an i got it sorted. I have no idea but end o day get gang members on their own most are cowards very few will staun up tae ye.
BadBoyBear
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:12 pm

I wonder if they got their name from the Blackfriars who moved to Dennistoun in 1877 when their church off the High St. was sold to the North British Railways.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:19 pm

BBC

Gangs raided in force crackdown
Violent gang members in Glasgow have been warned they are being targeted in a long-term police crackdown.
It follows early morning raids in Drumchapel on Friday, arresting several youths suspected of orchestrating serious violence. Strathclyde Police said it would continue to focus on gang violence and persistent offenders until the problem was eradicated.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:48 am

Follow on from previous news -- from BBC web site --

Police in East Ayrshire have arrested 17 youths in a series of dawn raids aimed at tackling gang violence.

The youngsters - who were aged between 16 and 18 - were arrested in Auchinleck and Drongan.

They were being held in police custody and were due to appear at Ayr Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

A warrant is outstanding for the arrest of one other youth. The operation was led by Strathclyde Police's new gang taskforce.

It was set up to try to reduce gang violence across the force area.

The head of the unit, Supt Bob Hamilton, said the raids were in connection with alleged gang violence which occurred in November last year.

Some of the weapons allegedly used in the incident were hockey sticks, golf clubs, metal bars and bicycle chains.

The raids in Ayrshire come after a crackdown in Glasgow's Drumchapel area last month, where officers used battering rams to smash their way into the homes of several men suspected of being members of local gangs.

'Small villages'

The raids in Ayrshire were more low key, with officers knocking on doors to apprehend the suspects.

Supt Hamilton said a different approach had been taken in Drongan and Auchinleck.

"These are small villages and we need to reassure parents that we're not there just to kick the doors in and arrest people," he said.

"If people have committed crimes we will take appropriate action but we're looking for the parents to be on side with us.

"We'll discuss the nature of the incidents with them and look for them to control the behaviour of individuals because we're well aware we can't do this job on our own."

Supt Hamilton said the police were monitoring the internet for any evidence of gang violence.

"These individuals use their own websites, where they put their names, faces and sometimes the crimes they're committing on the internet," he said.

"We will look at that and take intelligence from that."

Personally I love the bit about confessing on line !!!!! Munters !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm

All in favour of this , but can anyone tell me what's the difference between ayrshire and drumchapel.
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:12 pm

bluepeterno1 wrote:All in favour of this , but can anyone tell me what's the difference between ayrshire and drumchapel.

Incest and bestiality aren't quite so prevalent in Drumchapel.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:26 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
bluepeterno1 wrote:All in favour of this , but can anyone tell me what's the difference between ayrshire and drumchapel.

Not much like North Devon then .....

:? Hmmmm, Based on this information, should I invest in property or stocks in Buckfast.. ?
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Herald

It’s a jungle out there for the teenage territorials

And, increasingly, the internet does play a part. Some young people have talked to me about using MSN to contact gang members from other housing schemes and challenge them to fight on a Saturday night. One boy also revealed that "when a fight is going to happen, everybody takes out their mobile phones to record it".
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 pm

It's good to see teenagers have not given up on the art of exaggeration and taking the piss out of middle class journalism graduates.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Caltonboy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:38 am

RCT YA BASS

real calton tongs :oops:
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Just watched this progame on Ch 4 tonight, interesting that they kept refering Glasgow again and again, some transcripts and videos on the commisions findings of violence and disorder up and down the country in this day and age.

Street Weapons Commission

Disarming Britain
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:43 am

^ I understood Glasgow was mentioned as often as it was was becuse of the work of the Violence Reduction Unit, based at Pitt Street. http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index.asp?locID=808

Whilst we're on the current spate of knife attacks/ murders; does it strike anyone else that all the victims have been described as 'an angel' 'the most perfect son/ daughter' 'the light of my life' and so on? Can this be possible?

Nobody, apart from Janet Street Porter, has asked what a recent 16 year old victim was doing in a pub at 1.30am. Does that mean he deserved to die? Of course not.

Would he have died if he'd been at home and/ or in bed? Probably not.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:15 am

onyirtodd wrote:

Says you. I've seen a few 'interesting hybrids' down the Arndale Centre. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:30 am

Doorstop wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

Says you. I've seen a few 'interesting hybrids' down the Arndale Centre. :wink:

You may well be correct. I should probably have used a bracketed question mark at the end of my suggestion, dontcha think (?)
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Tackling Scotland's gang culture

15/10/2008

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill today met with police and community groups in Glasgow to hear how they are engaging with young people in their areas to tackle youth and gang disorder.

Mr MacAskill visited Parkhead and Wellhouse to see how proactive community policing and local diversionary projects are helping to tackle the underlying problems and behaviour common in gang culture.

Mr MacAskill said:

"The Scottish Government is determined to take action to help those who are involved in gangs. To help them break out of the cycle of drink, drugs, deprivation and crime and to help their communities recover from the problems and become safer and stronger.

"I hope we can persuade more of these youngsters involved in gangs and the crimes and antisocial behaviour associated with them - or on the cusp of gang membership - to think again about whether gang life is really the way they want to go.

"The projects I visited in Glasgow show that the police, working with local communities, can offer our youngsters a real chance to get out of the cycle of offending and give them a real alternative.

"Hand in hand with this, our CashBack for Communities scheme, is using money seized from criminals to provide more opportunities to stop young people becoming involved in crime, giving them something positive to do with their lives and enabling them to be all they can be.

"Offering more choices and chances for young people can help us turn the tide on violence in Scotland and give the next generation hope for the future. By working together, we can make Scotland a better place."

Superintendent Michelle Martin said:

"Tackling disorder and violence has been core police business in and around Shettleston, Baillieston and Greater Easterhouse for far too long now, and while we have been fortunate enough to receive funding which enabled us to get more officers, more regularly on to the streets, we know only too well that enforcement alone is not the answer.

"The introduction of some fairly innovative ideas and facilities to channel youngsters' energies into recreation, including the Outdoor Gym at Sandaig Park, Barlanark and the Phoenix Community Youth Bus, with parents also seeing a difference and endorsing the message that antisocial behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

"We appreciate the strength of feeling within the Scottish Government to help tackle the various forms of antisocial behaviour and I am delighted that the Minister has been able to take this opportunity to once again see for himself the marked difference we are now experiencing in the East End."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)