Paddy's Market loses its licence

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Paddy's Market loses its licence

Postby fourbytwo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:51 pm

8) 8) I know I have posted items about this before, and there is nothing to state new, so a regurgitation of what should be accepted as an alternative to the 'Offical Line'.....is all I offer
There will always be a multitude of reasons given why 'Paddy's' should close, but the 3 main points that concern me, are of course the ones NOT being printed....
1 That currently is is 'offensive' to certain Officials and to the Glasgow Council as a whole to have to admit that within
their cleverly crafted selling and advertising campaigns into just how 'good' Glasgow has become, and with a whole set
of new images of a modern Glasgow, there still exists so much poverty, that people still rummage around for secondhand items of clothing etc, just to help live a slighter better life.
2 it is against the new 'middle-class' and more affluent images of Glasgow, in particular those created to sell 'Merchant City'
as an up-market location, to have such a poor neighbour as Paddy's so close to their 'expensive' new cafes and bars.
It would make sense to them therefore, to flatten Paddy's and expand the expensive shopping experience down to the
Court and surrounding zones.
3 And finally, those officials from the Council and the Councillors themselves would FINALLY be able to justify the large
and obscene public funds used to 'improve' the Saltmarket areas, and finally able to stand up and be counted about the
cash injections into the "Briggait", that fabled white elephant heralded as the start of a massive upgrade for Glasgow in
Arts and Services.
i don't think anyone fully realises just how much was pumped-into that complex, just to see it falling quickly on its arse
so with a demolition of Paddy's, the planners would immerge and shout about how brilliant plans were....
So, looking at these 3 points, readers should begin to see the wider picture that perhaps the Council don't want you to see.
Having been a regular visitor to Paddy's, I would state it clear that as much as villainy does exist there, it is no worse than the Barras, where the image of the biggest location for pirated and copied materials in Britain...still exists..!
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Haggis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Yes it was in the front page of Times .The council have really gone and done it this time, Paddys is to close.They have secured the lease off railtrack.And are Going to Try turn it into a camden market style Market,Inviting ethnic cultures and artist to open up in Paddys.Did they not try this at the Old Fish market next door and king street and it failed .Always To let slapped all over it!As for the crimewave .I think i may have started it as a boy in 1960s.I lived at 17 bridgegate and on way to buchan st primary in Gorbals .We used to cut through paddys .But one day we got onto railway above,And Threw boulders onto the china stall below.(Sorry).Dont know if it will still be called paddys or The original name Shipbank lane.End of an era indeed.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:36 pm

Item 6 Shipbank Lane

Shipbank Lane : Proposed Regeneration Project

Purpose of Report:
To advise Committee of the continuing problems of crime and anti-social behaviour in the
Shipbank Lane area (Paddy’s Market) of the city centre, and of the opportunity to resolve these
through the Council taking over the lease of the relevant properties and developing the area as an
extension to the Merchant City Cultural Quarter.

Recommendation:
That Committee authorise the Executive Director of Development and Regeneration Services to
enter into negotiations with Network Rail with a view to the Council taking over the head-lease of
the railway arches and adjacent property at Paddy’s Market for a combination of uses by the City
Council and sub-leasing to appropriate arts and business organisations.

1. BACKGROUND
1.1 The quality of the city centre as a place to visit, work and live has increased significantly
in recent years. Investment in the public realm and lighting, new and proposed
commercial and residential developments, including significant amounts of retail
floorspace, have and will continue to contribute to an improved range of facilities and
enhanced environmental quality in the city centre. The improvement has been
particularly evident in the Merchant City where a range of investments undertaken within
the context of the Merchant City Action Plan have led to a significant improvement in the
public environment, an increased in the scale/range of property investment, and a steady
growth in the local business base.
1.2 Despite these improvements, crime and anti-social behaviour continues to be a
significant problem in that part of the ‘wider’ Merchant City known commonly as Paddy’s
Market (centred on Shipbank Lane). For many years, Paddy’s Market provided an outlet
for legitimate second hand goods, and fulfilled a useful social role as a low cost retail
market. More recently, however, the area has become the subject of escalating levels of
criminality - including drugs offences, acts of serious disorder, the sale of stolen / reset
property, the sale of counterfeit material, and the sale of contraband (alcohol and
cigarettes). Criminal activity and anti-social behaviour related to the Paddy’s Market area
is considered by the Police and Glasgow Community Safety Services to have an
extremely detrimental impact on surrounding residential areas, and problems being
particularly acute in the lower Saltmarket area. All of these issues increase the difficulty
of ‘turning round’ this area – and threaten to undermine the investment the Council is
making in the Merchant City.
1.3 Police records indicate that in 2005 / 2006 there were 314 drug possession cases,
268 breaches of the peace, 29 robberies, 96 thefts, 89 simple assaults, 46 cases of
Police assault/resisting arrest, and one attempted murder in the Paddy’s Market area.
2. INFORMATION
2.1 The railway arches at Paddy’s Market are owned by Network Rail. The properties are
leased to a range of individuals and businesses on an annual basis, with a common
lease renewal date at Whitsun. Network Rail currently receives approximately £130,000
per annum in rental income.
2.2 As noted above, the area has experienced a particularly high level of crime. Policing the
area has, however, proved difficult in view of its geographical characteristics and the
nature of the crimes committed. To help address matters, an exclusion zone has been
agreed between the Police and the Procurator Fiscal around Paddy’s Market. Anyone
committing more than one offence over a fixed period of time within this area is
recognised as a persistent offender and is excluded from entering the area. If such an
individual is caught within the area, they can be arrested immediately. This is, however,
complex – and expensive - to enforce.
2.3 Addressing the problems in the area is estimated to give rise to operational costs which,
in 2006/07 totalled £277,000. This consists of Police costs of £95,000, Customs and
Excise costs of £42,000, and Federation Against Copyright Theft costs of £30,000. Costs
to the City Council amount to £110,000 (£80,000 in cleansing costs and £30,000 in
trading standards costs).
2.4 The development and regeneration of the south east sector of the city centre and the
immediate area adjacent to Paddy’s Market is gathering momentum. Proposals have
been put in place for the Customhouse Quay Gardens area. The St Enoch Centre
redevelopment involving an additional retail floorspace and the development of leisure
facilities is currently on site. The St Enoch East site, which currently operates as a car
park, has recently changed ownership, with the new owners indicating that they wish to
develop the site and anticipate being in a position to start discussions on their proposed
development in early 2009. Immediately adjacent to Paddy’s Market, the Briggait is
scheduled to be converted into studio space for artists. In addition to this, the Merchant
City Townscape Heritage Initiative area has been extended to include the area south of
Trongate, stretching towards the River Clyde. In this context, it is intended, as part of the
THI Five Year Action Programme, to undertake streetscape works to improve the lanes
adjacent to Paddy’s Market.
2.5 These development proposals indicate that in the near future the south east sector of the city
centre will start to play a significantly more important role in the area’s economic activity as
new facilities are brought forward. Within this context the Arches present a range of
opportunities. For example :
• To meet potential operational requirements of the Council and Glasgow
Community Safety services.
• Replacement storage space is required for the Council Christmas lights.
• A range of artist’s organisations could potentially be interested in sub-letting the
space in the event that the Council does not require all the arches
accommodation.
• There is potential to develop part of the arches complex for a high quality
weekday or weekend market to be operated by the City Markets LLP.
2.6 The savings and income associated with these uses could make a significant offset
against the costs of the lease.
3. WAY FORWARD
3.1 Discussions with Network Rail have indicated that it should be possible to secure the
lease of the Paddy’s Market area at a rental considerably below that charged to the
existing tenants. This reflects a recognition by Network Rail of the problems that exist in
the area, and their corporate ‘social responsibility’ to help resolve them.
3.2 It is considered that acquiring the lease on the basis indicated above would provide a
longer term solution to the problems currently experienced in the area than coordinated
action by the Police and other public organisations. To date, these have simply had the
effect of removing the problem for a short period of time before high levels of criminality
have returned to the area.
4. CONCLUSIONS
4.1 The acquisition of the Paddy’s Market lease by the City Council should enable the
problems of criminality in the Paddy’s Market area to be eliminated. The space would
provide a valuable asset from an operational point of view to the City Council and would
enable an existing property to be released and realise a capital receipt. Most importantly,
tackling the criminality in this area would enable the Paddy’s Market area to once again
play a useful and legitimate role in the city centre, with uses that compliment those
proposed for the adjacent area.
5. SERVICE IMPLICATIONS
Financial - see above.
Legal - a lease with Network Rail would require to be put in place for the
arches.
Personnel - none.
Service Plan - improving the environment of the Paddy’s Market area
contributes to the aims of Service Priority 6.2, the City Centre
Action Plan.
Environmental - none.
Development and Regeneration Services
SI (095-08)
13 March 2008
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Luco » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:56 pm

It's had its day.

Glad to see it go now.
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Haggis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:54 pm

In todays Evening Times It says PADDYS TO CLOSE IN AUTUMN.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Franz man Alex Kapranos has weighed in to the argument saying it should be saved:

http://www.stv.tv/info/news/20080331/Franz_Ferdinand_singer_backs_closurethr_08040218

*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:02 pm

You'd think he'd be in favour of closing a place which sells pirated CDs and DVDs.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Evening Times

Too little, too late?

TRADERS campaigning to save Glasgow's Paddy's market were today told: "You're too late. "
Some of the stall holders at the Bridgegate market - due to shut in the autumn - have launched an online petition.
They want the city council to rethink its decision and say they'll help transform the area, which is a renowned hub of criminal activity.
Between 2005 and 2006 there were 314 drug possession cases, 268 breaches of the peace, 29 robberies, 96 thefts, 89 assaults, 46 cases of police assault and resisting arrest and one attempted murder.

Image Image

http://www.savepaddys.org/
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon May 19, 2008 10:39 pm

I can appreciate that for some, this is a Glasgow institution. I know its historical background, the 'service' it provided the city's poor, etc. I know that 'flea-markets' can be found in places all over Europe and indeed elsewhere and that we should be proud of our heritage and promote it, any way we can. I have read many of the arguments for keeping it, heard many voices begging for it to be retained as many still claim it offers a 'service' to the poor.

In conversation with one city councillor recently, they made a statement (don't know if they intended to be so candid) but they said (using the term they - but it was one councillor and I don't want anyone to think I am giving their identity away) "Prim*rk and other large outlets cater for the poorer market these days." I don't believe their response was that of 'snobbery' but just plain speaking, matter of fact. I wasn't in a position to debate this point.

I do think of previous Glasgow Institutions, which are long since gone and at the time of their demise many thought they 'couldn't live without them'. The trams, public toilets, Dallas's, Lewis's, Gerbers Wholesale and many more. As sad as it is and of course, any analogy is never perfect, it is my belief (not for beautification) but because of the trouble and reputation that comes with Paddy's, that its run is now over and it should go with dignity. As sad as this may be for some, let it become part of our city's history.

I just hope that Paddy's will close with some ceremony and that the area is used to its full potential now.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue May 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Mori wrote:Evening Times

Between 2005 and 2006 there were 314 drug possession cases, 268 breaches of the peace, 29 robberies, 96 thefts, 89 assaults, 46 cases of police assault and resisting arrest and one attempted murder.

Bullshit.
How many of these crimes were comited in the market lane while the market was on and not outside the hostel round the corner or the high court next door, or on the Saltmarket outside a pub?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue May 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:
Mori wrote:Evening Times

Bullshit.
How many of these crimes were comited in the market lane while the market was on and not outside the hostel round the corner or the high court next door, or on the Saltmarket outside a pub?

A valid point indeed, as all too often the location of the crime can 'change' either because there is no street signage and the 'constables' do not know exactly where they are! I know of one incident where a crime was committed but it suited the 'boys in blue' from Strathclyde's finest to move the location just short of 100 yards from the actual location - it provided them with ammunition when 'application renewals' were being made.

They can't even get my street despite all the Sat Navs etc, if we call them for an incident they are usually trooping around the other street with the same name as ours but ends just slightly differently.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 pm

^ Strathclyde Janitors.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SpangleS » Wed May 21, 2008 9:52 pm

loool an old joke used to be the copper who dragged the drunk to hope street , because he couldnt spell sauchiehall street :) :D .
all kidding aside i dont see the big thing about paddy's market to be with one side yes it has had its day and my gran used to be a hawker on the gorbals. but the flip side is where will the people who are there now go? they will go to the barras and other places to set up shop. and nt everyone who goes there are criminal or from criminal element. think its wrong to tarnish a place because of people who may or may not frequent it.also, the only thing that will happen is it will be bought by property developer and then renovated and developed and house will cost about 300k plus :evil: shame really but alas no one can stop it =/ :wink:
SpangleS
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby fourbytwo » Mon May 26, 2008 9:46 am

already stated that these 'criminal stats' include the areas up to and including the Barras, so let us be honest, we have to admit to ourselves as no one else is listening.......
Glasgow City Council CANNOT sell the Glasgow they want, when there are still 'noticeable' aspects of street poverty that the tourists could come across, and after all, with the Commonwealth Games due, then we must clear these 'eyesores' in case some of our african athletes see them and think they are home in a third world situation.
Snobbery is a great blight....remember the vast sums used to 'decorate' the areas around the Court Building, so that visiting 'Royalty' would not be offended by seeing the 'Glasgow Poor", rummaging for knickers and dresses....
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu May 29, 2008 1:55 pm

the area, which is a renowned hub of criminal activity

With the High Court on the doorstep, the area will always be a hub for criminals, not to mention alleged criminals, defence lawyers, witnesses, judges, members of the jury....
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)