Argyle Rubber Co.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Argyle Rubber Co.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:30 pm

In 1931 the PO Directory Lists Paisley's as being in Jamaica Street and Broomielaw. It also lists The Argyle Rubber Company as being in Jamaica Street. No other branches are listed of either company. Certainly not in Byres Road. Circa 1960 The Argyle Rubber Comapny moved to Hurlet house in Nitshill and I think it is still there.

In the Kelly's Directories of 1930 and 1939 no mention is made of either company in their listings for Byres Road.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Well done, Dex, I don't care what everyone says about you, I think you're well cool. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Anybody have Archie Graham as a councillor. Somebody needs to speak to him and Liz Cameron about the the current worth of the Virtual Mitchell and and how it could be improved by a project to verify the identifications of the photographs. It might take a sponsor to fund it.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:55 pm

AFAIK they were offered help but failed to take up the offer. They apparently ignore proffered corrections too.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Anybody have Archie Graham as a councillor. Somebody needs to speak to him and Liz Cameron about the the current worth of the Virtual Mitchell and and how it could be improved by a project to verify the identifications of the photographs. It might take a sponsor to fund it.

Its funny you should say that Dex. We were up last year [in fact it might have been 2006] talking to "people" about the VM.

Were stll waiting on word back

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby dimairt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:50 pm

The VM is good but it could be gooderer, couldn't it? There are too many errors left unchanged and repeated elsewhere - see exhibition in Woodside Library - unlike SCRAN which welcomes information and uses it to improve their site.
I had heard that some HG folk had talks with the Mitchell a while back- anybody have names? - but nothing has happened. Could we organise a 'Speak to your Councillor' day or an 'on-line' petition. What can we, HG, do about this?
I'd like to encourage punters to contribute family snaps to complement the more formal shots -everybody has them. I got a pile of great pics today from an old neighbour that I met while doing a talk/slide show on Maryhill a few weeks ago at Gairbraid Church.
Last year a colleague of mine retired and I found out that her grand-mother had worked as a clippie on the trams during the Great War. Not only did she have a photo of her gran in uniform, she also had a letter from the Director of Transport sacking her because "our boys" were coming home. When I mentioned this to the Transport Museum, well, they nearly wet themselves, and arranged to have the photo and the letter donated to feature in the new museum with a credit to my colleague. Everybody has photos and stories to go with them.
Incidentally, while having lunch with said colleague after visiting the Transport Museum to hand over the photo and letter, she asked what I was working on. I told her about my rock'nroll talk: from Bill Haley to the Beatles. Oh, she said, I saw them. My sister won a competition to meet them,she continued, her school tried to ban her from going and I still have the programme etc........
Everbody has a story, sometimes two.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Well done, Dex, I don't care what everyone says about you, I think you're well cool. :wink:

What are they saying about me? I note there haven't been any end of month drinks since I turned up. Was it something I said.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:56 am

Give it time. We're all trying to grow Dexter haircuts before we have the next one, to reduce the risk of upstaging.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 pm

The photo shows the rubber companys shop in Jamacia Street, not Byres Rd. Here is a photo of the shop premises as they were in 1931 (2 Shops) Conway Philips and Alexander Bennett.

Problem solved

Last edited by robertpool on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:02 am

Excellent detective work RP. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)